The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-07-01, 12:48 PM
981.62 GB/865.25 GB/0.88

Lightbulb Sorting Search Results

I just did a search on "Steely Dan" and noticed the results were listed in the order of the last comment posted. This page could be enhanced to allow sorting on different columns, like "first post date," "thread," and even "forum." It would help me search for newly-posted stuff without having to plow through old posts with new comments.

Also, "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: dan" kinda sucks, don't you think? How would I search for "Yes" or "The Who?"

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-05, 11:02 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Sorting Search Results

good points... we have certain exceptions for three-letter words (eg "mp3", "shn" etc) perhaps we could also make exceptions for "yes" and "who" which would be useful when searching by thread title (but not very useful when searching entire threads!). When searching for Yes and having difficulty I usually search for band members' names and/or common song titles, e.g. seaching "roundabout" will turn up almost any Yes show.

I'll get somebody from the dev team to take a look at this... sorry for the delay responding.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-07-05, 11:39 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

If you have an idea of what you are looking for, the advanced search will allow you to refine with specificty. I never do a general search.
Old 2007-07-05, 11:48 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

yeah advanced search has all the specific queries you mentioned. and like Five mentioned certain words are exceptions to the 3 letter rule. I'm not sure what they all are.

It appears yes is already in there.... see this search
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...archid=1288243

and the who also....
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...archid=1288244
Old 2007-07-05, 12:39 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Note the 'Sort Results By' drop menu... (available in advanced search)

I cant see the 'omit keyword list' - it may be within a vbulletin control panel
Old 2007-07-11, 04:33 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I modified the torrents page to allow you to select sorting by Last Post Date, First Post Date, and Title and Ascending or Descending. Hope that helps.

As for words like Yes or Who..... if they were allowed, you would end up with tons of threads that simply have those words in them. I'm not sure what the *easy* solution is for that.

Old 2007-07-17, 10:44 PM
695.86 GB/336.14 GB/0.48

Yup, seems like everywhere I go, "Yes" is too short of a name to search for.

I use song titles, probably what's listed on Forgotten Yesterdays as most often played in descending order: the "Roundabout" search will find most of it, and I think the "Starship Trooper" search finds more including those 7 from 77 shows I really wish someone would re-seed.

Novel member names like Squire, Howe, Moraz, Wakeman, Rabin etc. can also be very handy. Also entire member names, unless you wanted to check out the Tull while you were looking for shows with Jon. I've found a few Tull shows by accident that way. :-)

Last edited by velvetsailor; 2007-07-17 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Operation: Coherent Sentences

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions