The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-12, 01:12 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Unhappy sorry! another noob DVD question......

I'm not trying to be Scorcese; I've got a DVD that a cousin burned. It's old home movies, that had previously been transfered from film to VHS. I'd guess someone took a box of reels and taped them in no particular order. I kinda thought that it shouldn't be too hard for me to "re-edit' this to put it in better order, remove some crap altogether, and add a soundtrack (these where originally silent; now they feature loud, annoying white noise). I thought the soundtrack would be the most ambitious part, but I can't get to step one with the video. I have Roxio Creator 9 XE (it came with the MadDog DVD-R drive), but haven't been able to figure it out. The DVD has two folders: VIDEO_RM (which has three files in it, VIDEO_RM.BUP, VIDEO_RM.IFO, and VIDEO_RM.DAT) and VIDEO_TS (which has 10 files, VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.DAT, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB, VTS_01_4.VOB, AND VTS_01_5.VOB). Anyone? Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-12, 01:33 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: sorry! another noob DVD question......

Isn't Roxio creator just a burning program??? You need a non linear editing program like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, etc... Those are expensive but something like that. If Roxio is one, you will have to convert the .vob files to a format that it can import. This is probably mpeg. do some searches on here about demux, demultiplexing. This is breaking a vob into it's elementary streams of mpeg and ac3, or whatever audio format is was made with. You will then import those files into your editor where you will cut them into pieces and reorganize them however you want. You will delete their audio track and imput the new one. Then you render those files back into mpeg2 which you will use with a DVD authoring program such as Sony DVD Architect, DVD Lab, etc. to make the DVD.

This is a pretty involved task. It's going to take a while to learn all about what you will need to do. Good luck.
Old 2007-10-12, 01:38 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I believe you're right that Roxio is useless for this task. I just downloaded something called DVD Shrink, from Doom9.net, which looks promising; actually, it looks like this:

Do you think I'm on the right track? Obviously, I've got a bit of learning to do, like you said.....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-12, 02:04 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

DVD shrink can be used to demultiplex the video into it's video and audio. You will still need an editor to reorganize the clips. and a DVD authoring program to make the menus and video_ts folder. It's fairly simple to switch out the audio without all those programs. This would involve demutiplexing, then opening the audio up with a free program like audacity, cutting the new one to the exact same length and then remultiplexing the files back together.
Old 2007-10-12, 02:11 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

admittedly, I'm stumbling along here, and I've stumbled upon "Set Start/End Frames". Am I correct (or close) when I think that I'll be able pick a start and an end, then call that a chapter, then do that for 10 or 20 chapters? Then, I'd like to be able to, say, rearrange the chapters (assuming I can figure out what order they should be in). If possible, I'd like to have a menu, with chapter titles, but I don't see any way to do that. Adding a soundtrack would be the final step.
Old 2007-10-12, 03:36 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

hey, what about Nero? That's what I use for audio stuff (CD compilations, mp3 editing, etc.). I just updated my long-expired Nero ShowTime and some other Video apps; anything useful in there?
Old 2007-10-12, 04:55 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

once you get it de-muxed you could get a 30 day trial of MPEG Video Wizard DVD,from Womble

http://www.mpegvideowizard.com/dvd/dvd-trial.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-10-12, 05:04 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

this is gonna be a challenge; I had to look up "de-muxed"!

hey, I like that quote in your sig; I'm not a phish fan, but I did just DL a '73 Zep show! (I was at that show!)
Old 2007-10-12, 05:23 PM
eddieo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

hey, I'm limping my way thru NeroVision now, which looks promising (I'm sure everyone is riveted!)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble