The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-03-10, 02:59 PM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
a few years ago some one from that site was in here bitching how everything is mp3 based there and no one gave a shit when he complained about it
Things changed, not the website & forum functionality, but the quality of shared recordings increased.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-03-10, 03:52 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrayoll View Post
yeah well it is just Queen
I freaked when I saw a commercial over the weekend for One Night with Queen (a tribute band)

wtf? are there now enough people that want to pay $50 to see a cover band?
Old 2010-03-14, 03:36 AM
229.55 GB/440.35 GB/1.92

Quote:
I freaked when I saw a commercial over the weekend for One Night with Queen (a tribute band)

and the Queen stage show is destroying the West-End tradition, darling, absolutely destroying it. Such riff-raff one sees attending these ghastly shows.
At least the Queen show is at the Tottenham Court Road end of things; it doesn't cast too great a dispersion on Shaftesbury Avenue.
Old 2010-03-14, 05:40 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

“Yesterday, some hooligans knocked over a dustbin in Shaftesbury” … Wooooo. The hooligans are loose! The hooligans are loose!… What if they become ruffians? I would hate to be a dustbin in Shaftesbury tonight.

Bill Hicks
Old 2010-03-14, 05:51 PM
infecting the crypts.
TTD VIP
TTD Staff
2.83 TB/13.20 TB/4.67

Quote:
Yep, me. The Musical Box, twice. "Selling England"-show and "Lamb Lies Down"-show, it was worth it each time.

--

"never understood the snobbishness over a microphone. I mean fuck, I killed 3 moose, 2 caribou and a bear by age 16, but I sure as hell don't go bragging about the gun used (.308). the point is to knock down the animal, not what you knock it down with.

dumbass."

(Ballsdeep, 2015-02-16)

--

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...faq_audioguide

Old 2010-03-14, 08:46 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
Yep, me. The Musical Box, twice. "Selling England"-show and "Lamb Lies Down"-show, it was worth it each time.
I take it you never saw Genesis with Peter Gabriel then?
Old 2010-03-15, 10:06 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvited94 View Post
about 5 years ago I got a free ticket to see Musical Box perform Selling England and I'm sorry but I couldn't stop thinking "Yeah they sound good but it's a fucking cover band doing Genesis not the real thing"

I was so glad I didn't pay $40 like my brother did.

I'd maybe pay to see Randy Hansen doing Jimi again, haven't seen Randy since 1980 but remember enjoying that show more than MB
Old 2010-03-17, 10:53 AM
The Happy Guy
559.93 GB/1.09 TB/1.99

wasnt phil collins in genesis?

Old 2010-03-21, 06:26 AM
229.55 GB/440.35 GB/1.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintoni View Post
“Yesterday, some hooligans knocked over a dustbin in Shaftesbury” … Wooooo. The hooligans are loose! The hooligans are loose!… What if they become ruffians? I would hate to be a dustbin in Shaftesbury tonight.

Bill Hicks
of course i am more than well aware of Shaftesbury Avenue in Soho, but not a place called "Shaftesbury"... is that some London hinterland known only to the initiated.... oh no, i see it's a tiny village in Dorset. surprising how well travelled Bill Hicks was.
Old 2010-06-01, 07:59 AM
53.21 GB/67.19 GB/1.26

Red face Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobc View Post
this is a tough one to answer. i only recently was introduced to this site and as a result i downloaded about 5 older torrents and after completing, my ratio was 0.21. i seeded them for 4-5 days after, i still am, but because noone was dowlloading them my ratio was stuck at around 0.21. if it wasnt for 2 newer torrent becoming available i would take absolutely ages to get my ratio up to a respectable level.

only because i have seeded 1 of these new torrents to a ratio of nearly 4 have i bin able to get my ratio up, otherwise i'd be fooked!

if there was a ban imposed would i have ever got the chance to make it right?

i'm like most people and would like to see everyone seed at least up to a 1.0 ratio but sometimes its not possible. theres about another 5-10 torrents i would love to d/load in here but i know my ratio is gonna plummet from doing so as they are older torrents too, so ive held off.
I am new too and greedily downloaded a huge video (10GB) of the wonderful Grateful Dead - its old so who knows if I will ever seed back what I have taken but the intention is there and I will leave it on my computer to seed. Thank goodness this site won't stop me looking for more unlike others where I have struggled to maintain a decent ratio. Seems a shame to stop folk from looking for shows they want for fear of ruining a ratio because no-one is downloading it any more. I am happy to offer copies of my cassettes but didn't think anyone wanted them these days - have loads of Dead shows on cassette....
Old 2010-06-01, 06:38 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

its different for new members, yer not exactly the one these folks get upset about...most of us understand when ya first join its like a smorgasboard and many of the ones you d/l don't have any others leeching...leave yer torrents seedin and someone will hop on eventually

its the folks who have been here for years, have d/l'ed hundreds of GBs but only u/l'ed say 20 GB in return that folks get pissed at
Old 2010-06-23, 01:00 AM
56.19 GB/92.77 GB/1.65

Quote:
about 5 years ago I got a free ticket to see Musical Box perform Selling England and I'm sorry but I couldn't stop thinking "Yeah they sound good but it's a fucking cover band doing Genesis not the real thing"
Wow- I saw Genesis on their Lamb Lies Down tour at the Berkeley Community Theater. I decided to drop acid one last time for that show and it was a real trip. I guess some of their earlier shows were even stranger than that one...

I read the first page or two of this discussion and I don't quite understand what is meant by "paying back". I always thought it meant uploading more bytes than you downloaded, and if you can upload new torrents, that is even better but not required. Some people can't upload for one reason or another, but as long as their ratio is healthy I see no problem.

On some of the trackers there are the active uploaders who put up the fresh content and there are the active seeders who keep those torrents going. I think that a good tracker needs both of those types. What it *doesn't* need is the snatch'n'run leechers as well as the superseeders with the seedboxes who make it hard for regular members to build their ratio- assuming that there are ratio guidelines being enforced (if ratios are not enforced then it doesn't really matter).

steeve_a

P.S. I think it is impossible for everyone on a tracker to have a ratio higher than 1.0 unless there is some sort of bonus system. The seeders uploading bytes need peers to download those bytes. Which is why some trackers expect you to maintain a ratio of 0.5
Old 2010-06-23, 05:52 PM
Quack
35.06 GB/41.66 GB/1.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve_a View Post
P.S. I think it is impossible for everyone on a tracker to have a ratio higher than 1.0 unless there is some sort of bonus system. The seeders uploading bytes need peers to download those bytes. Which is why some trackers expect you to maintain a ratio of 0.5
Even a 0.5 is a bit too high, unless some restrictions are established to those who overseed a lot.
Old 2010-06-27, 09:04 AM
Thread Killer
301.22 GB/627.00 GB/2.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
but i certainly ain't gonna re-open a torrent for someone who's gotta a really shitty ratio...and excessive leechers i just block in my bt client
What I'd like to see here would be a display of the ratio everywhere a member's name appears. For example, if a member posts in a thread their ratio stats appear under their name, but in the drop-down 'peers list' you show only a leecher's name and port listed. I'd like to see the code for ratio added there, because I agree that I wouldn't be interested in reviving a torrent for a lousy ratio. I know I can always look up their user names, but it seems like adding a line of code is a much more efficient solution, and maybe the constant listing will help prod some people towards better behavior. (yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but wtf)

I'm sympathetic to newbies that haven't had time to build a ratio, but they're not the ones we're discussing here.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:12 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

a person's ratio does appear under their name with each post

as far as total ratio being listed by a pserson's name in a torrent's "Peer List", that is a good idea...dunno if there's already a code written that or not

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers