The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-20, 09:18 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.58

Re: Help making text file for DVD... what info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Yeah, and they'll never stop to ask for directions!

yes, but once we find it once, we always remember the route
Old 2004-12-21, 05:05 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

Re: Help making text file for DVD... what info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Thanks guys. ssamadhi, how do you know which ### x ### to take?
Always the one in the "Frame (w x h)" field in GSpot.

(As for the SDE value, encoders are free to set that to wtf-ever they want, and decoders are free to ignore this field. Disregard it.)

btw the relevant aspect ratio info is found in the DAR field (Display Aspect Ratio).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-07, 03:59 PM
brianfrizz
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DVD Checksum?

What's the best way to create an checksum for dvd's (i didnt see anything mentioned in FAQ on this). Thanks.

Last edited by retired; 2006-12-26 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2005-01-07, 05:52 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: DVD Checksum?

Just use whatever program you normally would use to make an md5 checksum of a folder (and it's contents) only this time the folder you would make the checksum of would be the VIDEO_TS folder. I think on the PC you can just right-click on the folder and hit Generate md5 Signatures. On a Mac, I use xACT and you can just drag the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder onto the checksum tab and hit Create Checksum.

Old 2005-01-09, 07:53 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

PC will only do that if you have mkwact installed. Either way, you would create them with the same program you use to create them for audio files.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-10, 12:23 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

a couple more things... the md5 doesn't go in the VIDEO_TS folder. You can add VIDEO_TS/ to the beginning of the filenames so that when the md5 is double-clicked it will check inside the folder, kinda like this:

37b101cf3025917f57757e38ee50c9aa *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

Also, if you have a DVD that you've copied to your computer you might want to check that the files on your computer are identical to the ones on your DVD. Sometimes the method to do this isn't obvious... one way is to generate md5 checksums directly from the DVD then check these against the files on your computer.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-10, 02:24 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

lol, here we go again. i don't have a problem if the MD5 checksum is outside the VIDEO_TS folder, except that it's easier to be "lost." yes, "lost"... i suspect people are more likely to elect to simply not copy the MD5 checksum onto the next copy if it (the MD5 checksum) is outside the VIDEO_TS folder. i'm not suggesting that people here would do that. but there are always "newbies" who might not know how to copy a disc correctly and may leave out an MD5 checksum that's outside the VIDEO_TS folder, just as they may not burn an included AUDIO_TS folder. true, nothing is usually in the AUDIO_TS folder and that folder isn't terribly important/needed in 99% of the DVDs out there - just like the VIDEO_RM or whatever it's titled folder generated by some standalone transfers. still, the principle is the same of someone neglecting to copy something they don't see/view/believe as "needed." if the MD5 checksum is inside the VIDEO_TS folder, then some such person (maybe a "newbie," maybe not) is less likely to fail to copy the MD5 checksum when they make a copy for someone else.

i have always had MD5 checksums inside the VIDEO_TS folder, as i haven't had any playback problems from those DVDs on my own player, nor on multiple other DVD players i've tried.

but in the end, whatever floats you're boat, i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
a couple more things... the md5 doesn't go in the VIDEO_TS folder.
Old 2005-01-10, 03:08 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

hey, so long as the DVD can play on standalone players I guess it's fine to put the md5 in the VIDEO_TS folder. I heard that some players have trouble with extra stuff in the VIDEO_TS folder, that's the only reason I posted that. I could be wrong.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-01-10, 03:16 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

No, you're not wrong. I have a very finicky Sony DVD player that will NOT playback any discs that have extra files burned ANYWHERE on it, either inside the Video_TS folder or outside of it.

The point of creating a checksum is that people, further on down the road, can take their disc, create an md5 checksum, and compare it to the one posted on TTD to ensure that they do have the original version that was seeded here. There are so many instances of people burning stuff with errors or tinkering with the thing that it's nice for traders to be able to say "this matches the checksum for the TTD seed" and provide a link.

I do not expect everyone to keep these checksums on the disc itself. If you are inclined to keep them, it's best to do so inside of a text file that you store with your tradelist or something instead of putting them onto the disc because, as I said, some players are more picky than others.

I personally check them and then make a note in my tradelist that the checksum matches the one for the TTD seed, then provide a link to the original thread. It at least gives some weight to the seed that the thread contains comments that can indicate whether it's a good show, bad show, etc.
What's never been,
Old 2005-01-11, 01:48 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

i normally create a root folder called EXTRA_TS and put all other files like md5, coverart, info file etc. there and burn that folder along with audio_ts & video_ts and my standalone player plays fine.
Old 2005-01-31, 12:55 PM
CONFORM | OBEY | CONSUME
115.86 GB/148.83 GB/1.28

MD5 Check Fails After Burn

So I've been backing up my dvd's lately since I'm planning on reformatting my HD. All files verify OK before the burn, but fails when I check afterwards. This happens often enough with different dvd's that I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my Plextor drive. Tried burning at a slower speed but that didn't resolve it either. The dvd plays fine though.

So what do you guys do in this situation? Keeper or a coaster? I don't mind so much that it failed verfiication but that means I can't offer b&p's of these shows in the future.

he who goes to bed with itchy anus wakes up with stinky finger.
Old 2005-01-31, 01:50 PM
TTD VIP
437.11 GB/10.44 TB/24.45

Re: MD5 Check Fails After Burn

i think it would fail
you DL a file and itsa telling you that you downloaded it 100%
once you convert it and burn it it is no longer in the same format that passed the checksum
Old 2005-01-31, 02:06 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

You need to give me more details. First of all, are we talking about video DVD or data DVD with lossless data files on it? What software methods are you using to burn the disc? What software methods are you using to extract the data? At what point are you attempting to "check" these files, while they are still on the DVD? What files are failing; all of them, some of them, certain ones?

I'd say if you're having md5 failures that there is a problem that needs to be fixed, but until I have some more information there's no way that I can diagnose the problem.
What's never been,
Old 2005-01-31, 02:23 PM
Now he's just a bag of garbage
349.24 GB/860.90 GB/2.47

As Raindawg sed, nobody can really diagnose with more info, but i had a similar problem when i first started backing up my shows on cd (and then later on dvd). i was using Nero to make ISO data copies of the shows, and everything burned fine and passed nero's data verification check, but when i checked the files with the md5 verification, they all failed.

What i found out was that in the new compilation box you have to make sure "Joliet" is checked on the ISO page, and "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" is checked on the LABEL page.

After making these two changes, i never had a problem again. It even went back on a multisession disc and "fixed" torrents i had previously burned.

----------Nothing is Real!
Old 2005-01-31, 03:48 PM
CONFORM | OBEY | CONSUME
115.86 GB/148.83 GB/1.28

Sorry, should've been more specific with describing the problem.

I'm trying to burn a video DVD that I downloaded from Easytree. I have a Plextor PX-708A and use Nero 6.3.1.20. The torrent came with a md5 file, and it verifys fine on my HD. With Nero, I'm choosing "DVD-Video" under New Compilation and typically burn at 4x. After Nero's done, I recheck the md5 file on the disc. Here are the files that failed verification:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
he who goes to bed with itchy anus wakes up with stinky finger.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble