The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-06-26, 11:18 AM
314.57 GB/318.73 GB/1.01

Help with jerky file!

I've some problems with jerky videos. I downloaded these and some others, but the picture seems to jump every second or so. It's not much, but I find it quite disturbing to watch: the jumps are especially visible when there's a zoom or rapid movements. The sound seems to be ok, which makes it harder to spot.
The main thing is that I want someone to confirm this or tell me what I'm doing wrong as I'm slowly growing paranoid because everybody I've asked so far kept saying everything looked fine. So I need some experts here. Please tell me I'm not insane...

Here's file 1: an avi file
http://rapidshare.com/files/4485786/...__New.avi.html

I also have the problem with some rar.-files that should result in a DVD, but I cannot watch these things without my eyes starting to hurt because of this fault...

Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-06-26, 11:21 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Help with jerky file!

downloading....
Old 2007-06-26, 11:30 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

gspot says it is DiVX 5.0..

I watched and saw just a bit of jumping 3 or 4 times, mostly toward the beginning - but also noticed the audio and video are out of sync more and more as it progresses.. I think this is just a mediocre encoding job. If the jumping you see is more than minor, I'd say your codecs could use updating.

Download ye the K-Lite Codec pack, which comes with "Media Player Classic". MPC looks like the old Windows Media PLayer, but don't be fooled... it is very powerful.. plays just about everything including those pesky (shitty) quicktime.mov files without having to launch a monsterous Apple player that wants you to remember to upgrade your ass off every 4 days..

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

see if that makes it better.
Old 2007-06-27, 03:53 AM
314.57 GB/318.73 GB/1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg

I watched and saw just a bit of jumping 3 or 4 times, mostly toward the beginning - but also noticed the audio and video are out of sync more and more as it progresses.. I think this is just a mediocre encoding job. If the jumping you see is more than minor, I'd say your codecs could use updating.

Download ye the K-Lite Codec pack, which comes with "Media Player Classic". MPC looks like the old Windows Media PLayer, but don't be fooled... it is very powerful.. plays just about everything including those pesky (shitty) quicktime.mov files without having to launch a monsterous Apple player that wants you to remember to upgrade your ass off every 4 days..

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

see if that makes it better.
I use VLC and am perfectly satisfied with that. The things you describe is exactly what bothers me. Thank you so much for taking the effort. At least I know now that I'm not crazy. Seems many people interested in the footage don't care what they get as long as they haven't seen it before. I personally think these bad encodings shouldn't be posted at all. A mere waste of time downloading this...

Is Media Player Classic freeware on the MAC? Then I might try it out.
Cheers.
Old 2007-06-27, 08:21 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

better to have it than nothing, though, right? Depending on how rare it is...

but - VLC is a player, not a not a set of codecs. Install KLite codec pack anyway.. you don't have to use the player that comes with it (it is very similar in function to VLC). The KLite pack seems to make everything thing I've had problems with smooth out.
Old 2007-06-27, 09:42 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I just looked at the KLite pack and you end up downloading an exe file, so I would say it is not for your Mac.

Old 2007-06-27, 09:43 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

missed the whole thing about a MAC...
Old 2007-06-27, 09:55 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
missed the whole thing about a MAC...

Old 2007-06-27, 10:08 PM
16.93 GB/28.49 GB/1.68

Quote:

. . . Download ye the K-Lite Codec pack, which comes with "Media Player Classic". MPC looks like the old Windows Media PLayer, but don't be fooled... it is very powerful.. plays just about everything including those pesky (shitty) quicktime.mov files without having to launch a monsterous Apple player that wants you to remember to upgrade your ass off every 4 days . . .
MPC is great!

Unfortunately QuickTime Alternative is no longer included in the K-lite Mega Codec Pack due to legal threats from Apple, Inc. You can still get QuickTime Alternative though: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Aside from all the great codecs, the K-lite Mega Codec Pack includes the lastest version of Media Player Classic as well as Real Alternative (I dislike RealPlayer almost as much as QuickTime). For whatever reason I had to DL & install Real Alternative separately to get it to work. I like Winamp with all the necessary plug-ins (Shorten, APE, Cue Player, WavPack & MP3 gap remover), but there is a Winamp Alternative for those that dislike Winamp: http://www.winampalt.de.vu/
Old 2007-06-28, 03:51 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

also, get "Ultra Quicktime Converter" to just convert the damn things to something that doesn't require a bloated, naggy quicktime player.
Old 2007-06-28, 06:46 AM
314.57 GB/318.73 GB/1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterBones
MPC is great!

Unfortunately QuickTime Alternative is no longer included in the K-lite Mega Codec Pack due to legal threats from Apple, Inc. You can still get QuickTime Alternative though: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Aside from all the great codecs, the K-lite Mega Codec Pack includes the lastest version of Media Player Classic as well as Real Alternative (I dislike RealPlayer almost as much as QuickTime). For whatever reason I had to DL & install Real Alternative separately to get it to work. I like Winamp with all the necessary plug-ins (Shorten, APE, Cue Player, WavPack & MP3 gap remover), but there is a Winamp Alternative for those that dislike Winamp: http://www.winampalt.de.vu/
Thanks for the link. I will try MCP, although I really think that it's rather the way people look at things when they are really excited about the footage...it would be too good to be true if it was only the codecs...then I could finally get some things I've been desiring for a long time.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble