The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-10, 09:50 AM
331.76 GB/353.60 GB/1.07

Firewall question

I set up my Bit Torrent client about three months ago. I followed the port mapping structions to the letter and I thought everything was a go. Initially, I was getting firewall notifications but after a day or so they went away and everything was flowing. After my intital setup, I did nothing.

Yesterday I started to receive firewall notification again yet I changed NOTHING. I checked my port mapping and everything is set up according to the instructions. It is clear that people are able to upload from me because I get upload speed readings (46kbps for the recent Pink Floyd "final echoes" upload).

If I am getting decent upload speeds for other people then how can I be firewalled? If I followed the port mapping instructions to the letter, how can I be firewalled. I am confused and I really want to give back to all of the generous uploaders on this site. A little help, please?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-10, 10:35 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Firewall question

All it means to be firewalled is that you may not connect to other people who are also firewalled. So, if you are on a torrent with a lot of non-firewalled people, everything will run just fine. However, if you get on a torrent that mostly has firewalled people, then you will only be able to connect to the non-firewalled people and speeds may be much lower (because don't forget that those other firewalled people may only connect to the non-firewalled people also).

(Sometimes I go firewalled for no known reason, but it usually disappears either in a couple of hours or after stopping/starting the torrent.)

Old 2006-11-11, 07:10 AM
1.51 GB/28.41 GB/18.78

I'm having the exact same problem this week. Everything was running great with Azureus for over a week, no firewall issues etc. Yesterday I started showing up as firewalled both in Azureus and here on the site. Nothing has changed on my system. Frustrating.
Old 2006-11-12, 07:30 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

do as Lynne said...happens to me every few weeks or so, i was actually showing as firewalled this morning...simply stopped my torrents, closed azureus and restarted...now i'm not

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble