The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-22, 02:29 PM
776.22 GB/1.19 TB/1.57

To release a newbie authored DVD or put more work into it?

Ok, let me explain this one. I normally just download from the site and share the downloads. However, I got my hands on a rare VHS tape of the Dave Matthews Band from 5-14-1995.
I bought the AV Pyro link to capture the VHS tape to my PC (that is done). I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 to basically set the DVD chapters (that is done), and to create a menu for the DVD (In progress). I noticed that within Premiere Elements that authoring a menu isn't the most flexible. So, now I am wondering if I should release the DVD, or if people who are experts at authoring DVD's are going to say once released, why I didn't do this or that with the DVD. Since, I am new at the authoring part, I can probably spend days playing around with it. I have spent about 5 hours today on it. The other part I didn't fix, is when you copy a VHS tape to the computer, the bottom of the screen leaves those annoying lines, because VCR's when played you don't see that on your TV. So, I thought I should crop off the bottom few lines, but then I was thinking, don't mess with it because I don't want to screw up the 20 GB avi file. So, do I release it? Or play around with it more, or try to get my hands on Adobe Premiere Pro? The DVD menu from the template within Elements I have works just fine (see attachment), it just doesn't look the best. Any thoughts? Yeah, I know, damn newbies.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Menu.JPG
( 52.2 KB, 77 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-22, 10:05 PM
776.22 GB/1.19 TB/1.57

Re: To release a newbie authored DVD or put more work into it?

Well, several hours later, and everything is done, all but removing the few lines at the bottom of the video, due to VHS to computer conversion. So, I will be posting the dvd up on the site soon.
Old 2006-11-23, 12:29 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hi poormonkey, sorry for the lack of response, but I think many people are off on vacation (Thanksgiving). Personally, the menus are such a small part of what I like about videos. I like the content.

Old 2006-11-24, 12:30 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

too late it seems, but i'll answer anyway by voting put "more work into it"...that is unless yer lazy, or have more important things to do with yer time--then just make sure you author it at the highest possible bit rate [and use PCM for yer audio, and not ac3 or other lossy codec]

btw, that menu looks fine to me poormonkey...you've got chapter menus set atleast...i would then just include all the details regarding source/transfer in an info text file, good to go

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble