The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-02-28, 08:12 PM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

Computer Crash messed things up. Please help...

First off, this site is awesome!

Sadly, I had a crash while seeding and downloading and had to do a hard shut down. The site stats ("current activity on tracker") says I am still seeding 19 torrents and downloading two more. I Am Not.

My bittorrent client is shut down so no activity at all. Is there a way to reset my current activity? Will it fix itself if I leave it alone long enough?

Thanks, as it is when I try to download I get the "connections exceeded" message and I cant seed or download.

Last edited by ChronicKush67; 2016-02-28 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-02-28, 08:39 PM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

Re: Computer Crash messed things up. Please help...

It seems to be slowly fixing itself. Now only shows one active torrent. If/when it says no activity I will try again.
Old 2016-02-28, 10:02 PM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

This problem fixed itself. Eventually everything went back to the correct status. If anyone else runs into this just wait it out.
Old 2016-02-28, 10:19 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.58

Maybe your computer crashed in embarrassment at your low fucking ratio.
Old 2016-02-29, 11:35 AM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq View Post
Maybe your computer crashed in embarrassment at your low fucking ratio.
"please mind your own fucking business, you Looney cocksucker"

I'm seeding all I can. Not firewalled. High-speed seeding. I wish I could seed 200 torrents instead of twenty but the rules say different. It's very hard to guess which 20, out of the thousands of torrents here, to seed.

My ratio is low because of no peers. It is not because I won't seed.

Cheers and thanks for the welcome!
Old 2016-02-29, 11:50 AM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

"Seeding, or uploading, to more than 20 different torrents at a time does not really help out the downloaders. If you are seeding/uploading to 20 different torrents, this means that you are only giving 1/20th of your upload speed to any one torrent. It is much better to concentrate your upload rate to a couple of torrents at a time in order to allow the downloaders to get a decent download rate from you.

If you seed over twenty shows at a time, your ratio may be incorrectly reported since the tracker will only pay attention to the first twenty torrents you are seeding. You can see that list in your profile view under Current Activity on Tracker."

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...nnection_limit
Old 2016-02-29, 01:01 PM
Knee-Deep In The Hoopla...
161.07 GB/214.90 GB/1.33

In my experience it takes a little while for the torrent stats on one's profile to catch up to any changes made in their client, not just on this site but other torrent trackers.

Check out my list here
Old 2016-02-29, 02:09 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicKush67 View Post
"Seeding, or uploading, to more than 20 different torrents at a time does not really help out the downloaders. If you are seeding/uploading to 20 different torrents, this means that you are only giving 1/20th of your upload speed to any one torrent. It is much better to concentrate your upload rate to a couple of torrents at a time in order to allow the downloaders to get a decent download rate from you.

If you seed over twenty shows at a time, your ratio may be incorrectly reported since the tracker will only pay attention to the first twenty torrents you are seeding. You can see that list in your profile view under Current Activity on Tracker."

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...nnection_limit
If you're seeding 20 torrents, and only one of them has a leech, it's not like only 1/20 of your bandwidth is going to get used! If you're lucky enough to get 20 torrents all with leechers on at the same time, then, yeah, bandwidth gets divided up. But that's off topic for this post...

I was thinking this morning, of my decent ratio, and how I got it. Yes, I've uploaded my own recordings here, but, also, I kind of haven't barely turned off my computer here for something like 5 or 6 years now! Seed. Always seed. Pick 20 "pet" torrents that mean something to you that you really like, and, just seed those. Forever. Eventually, someone will come along on this 6 year old torrent and marvel that someone is STILL on it. That person will be YOU, and you'll get ALL the upload credit for it, rather than torrents with many seeders where you might get to upload 5% of the show before everyone else seeds it too and the leecher is complete. That's my ratio boost tip of the day...

It can take an hour or so for stats to update. Glad it sorted itself out eventually...
Old 2016-02-29, 02:39 PM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

Thanks for the not-hostile and usefull replies gentlemen. My plan is to seed 20 torrents nearly 24/7 too. Some day my ratio will catch up. I lost my whole collection and I'm playing catch-up. For now I'm mainly trying to seed large video shows that have a lot of downloads but not many seeds.
Old 2016-02-29, 03:29 PM
483.34 GB/491.80 GB/1.02

Another tip that I employ is drop a thanks in a torrent you're seeding, that will bump that show to the top of the torrent forum, and often encourages a few new downloaders.

Hope that helps.
Old 2016-02-29, 04:18 PM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

Quote:
Thanks for the not-hostile and usefull replies gentlemen. My plan is to seed 20 torrents nearly 24/7 too. Some day my ratio will catch up. I lost my whole collection and I'm playing catch-up. For now I'm mainly trying to seed large video shows that have a lot of downloads but not many seeds.
If you want to improve your rat, you need to seed, in order to seed you need leechers, If the torrents you want to seed already had a couple hundred downloads then it's unlikely that you will ever bring your rat up by seeding to the occasional latecomer, but! if you look at the torrents page and hop on to a brand new torrent that has just been posted then you can download that one and seed it until you start to improve your rat, seed that until there are no more leechers and repeat the process this will improve your ratio much faster than trying to seed twenty torrents with no leechers.

It doesn't even matter if you like the band or not, as long as you are seeding to downloaders your rat will improve.
Old 2016-02-29, 06:44 PM
Knee-Deep In The Hoopla...
161.07 GB/214.90 GB/1.33

Quote:
Jump on a freshly-uploaded torrent and get it downloaded before others get to it, that's a perfect way to up your ratio if you have nothing to upload yourself. If you're looking for some free stuff check out my list I'm cleaning house right now

Check out my list here
Old 2016-03-01, 11:54 AM
724.80 GB/16.08 GB/0.02

Thanks again for your replies!
Old 2016-03-02, 04:27 PM
288.57 GB/294.30 GB/1.02

Share your files ChronicKush67!!!!!!!!
Old 2016-03-06, 07:13 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

I like the idea of posting in an old thread to try and drum up some new interest in it - I've also tried uploading other shows similar to those I wanted to enliven again. Trying to make cross-referencing posts, too: "if you liked this, then you'll also like so and so..." kind of thing!

I've never seen the use to downloading something you'll never listen to just to try and get ratio out of it! You might as well have music that you're actually INTERESTED in listening to, no? haha

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble