The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-10-26, 12:41 AM
El Gringo Mas Escandoloso
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

Why does my share ratio suck?

So as you can see my share ratio is at 0.45 right now. I have been downloading but have had almost no leechers connected to me (I'm using Azureus, newest version) even though I have about 8-10 shows fully seeded and active right now. I'm on a college campus network which I know screws with my d/ling rates a bit, but I have 2 movie torrents that are both uploading at like 60-90k/sec so I know that can't really be the issue. Any ideas? I just don't want my share ratio to suck so and make me look like an ass
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-10-26, 02:22 AM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

Re: Why does my share ratio suck?

well nevermind, was reading another thread about someone on a college campus, their ratio sucks too. I'll try some of the suggestions in that thread to see if I can improve it. If you have any other ideas let me know
Old 2006-10-26, 08:59 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Just stay connected longer to upload the show after you have finished downloading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-10-26, 09:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Don't forget that if you are uploading other torrents (like the two movie ones) then that is less upload bandwidth allocated to the other torrents you are trying to seed. Also, make sure you are trying to seed other torrents that need seeding (seed the one that has 2 seeds/10 leeches, as opposed to the one with 10 seeds/2 leeches).

Also, it doesn't sound like you have the university problems that two other recent posters have talked about. They are firewalled and their bandwidth also seems to be throttled as well. From the speeds you talked about, it doesn't sound like you are being throttled at all.

Old 2006-10-26, 02:26 PM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Just stay connected longer to upload the show after you have finished downloading it.
that's the thing though...for example I've been seeding the RHCP and Mars Volta Shows from 10/2/06 since I got them in shortly after the show and so little of that has been uploaded.

U2Lynne...you do make a point though about the movie seeding. But I set a limit of 20k/sec for each of them and have my upload speed set to unlimited, so it should be ok...hmmm
Old 2006-10-27, 10:48 AM
298.79 GB/177.79 GB/0.60

I have another issue. I too just changed to Azureus from BitTornado. Regardless of either app, one of two things happen:

1) If I pause an upload or shut my PC off, I stop uploading completely and cannot re-start the seeding.
2) I just stop uploading after I've finished downloading.

So .... my share ratio has taken a hit and no matter what I've tried, I can't make it better. The torrents also say I'm not firewalled. I thought there were some previous threads where this was attributed to various ISP's. Mine is Cablevision. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 2006-10-27, 11:07 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

1) So, you are saying once you start your PC again, you are unable to start the show again? Are you making sure to download the torrent file to your harddrive so you have a copy of it? Then, one there, double-click to get it into Azureus. Then, it should *always* be on that list so you can always start it again. So, when you start your PC again and then start Azureus again, just click on the torrent and hit the Green arrow on the top to start it again.

2) Make sure you don't have your Rules set to stop the torrent as soon as you complete the download. Options > Queue > Seeding - take a look at those rules there.

Old 2006-10-27, 12:34 PM
298.79 GB/177.79 GB/0.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
1) So, you are saying once you start your PC again, you are unable to start the show again? Are you making sure to download the torrent file to your harddrive so you have a copy of it? Then, one there, double-click to get it into Azureus. Then, it should *always* be on that list so you can always start it again. So, when you start your PC again and then start Azureus again, just click on the torrent and hit the Green arrow on the top to start it again.
Thanks for responding. Yes, that is correct and I always have the torrent file on my hard-drive. I've done all that and still does not upload.

2) Make sure you don't have your Rules set to stop the torrent as soon as you complete the download. Options > Queue > Seeding - take a look at those rules there.
Will look and I'm going to begin another download and see what happens. Thanks!!
Old 2006-10-28, 05:55 PM
298.79 GB/177.79 GB/0.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzspace
Will look and I'm going to begin another download and see what happens. Thanks!!
Ok ..... I just downloaded a couple of shows, one each from a different tracker. I'm not uploading anything even though it shows my status as seeding. What now?
Old 2006-10-28, 05:57 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Ok ..... I just downloaded a couple of shows, one each from a different tracker. I'm not uploading anything even though it shows my status as seeding. What now?
how many downloading peers does your client show?

you know you need peers that need the information you want to send them before you actually do the sending

and then, if they are firewalled, you cannot send them information either
Old 2006-10-28, 08:39 PM
298.79 GB/177.79 GB/0.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbLuck
how many downloading peers does your client show?

you know you need peers that need the information you want to send them before you actually do the sending

and then, if they are firewalled, you cannot send them information either
They both show zero with the number of seeds and peers in parentheses. Also, the "Health" status shows blue I am not firewalled.
Old 2006-10-29, 09:49 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, in order to upload to someone, then your peers column *must* show some peers that want the show. If it says "0", then no one wants to download the show at the moment and so you aren't going to be able to upload to anyone.

Old 2006-10-29, 11:07 AM
298.79 GB/177.79 GB/0.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Well, in order to upload to someone, then your peers column *must* show some peers that want the show. If it says "0", then no one wants to download the show at the moment and so you aren't going to be able to upload to anyone.
Makes sense but why would it show numbers in ( )?
Old 2006-10-29, 01:34 PM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Makes sense but why would it show numbers in ( )?
the number in parenthesis is the total number of peers that are either seeding or downloading the torrent

the number in front of it is the number of seeds or peers that you can connect to based upon yours and their firewall settings
Old 2006-11-20, 02:35 PM
488.91 GB/495.29 GB/1.01

just like to say that my share ratio is now a full 1.0 higher than it was when I first made this thread, it's at 1.45 right now

yeeeeeeeeeeesss

ownage

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble