The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-03-28, 07:27 PM
54.80 GB/55.77 GB/1.02

OK I've done everything but still Firewalled on Comcast

I've followed every direction I can... to the point of both disabling the firewall on both my router (dd-wrt) and within MacOS... I'm still firewalled getting blue, yellow, and red status in Vuze.

I'm on Comcast.... are they still blocking traffic? I've entered my cable modem setup but can only view diagnostics, I cannot change anything.

Anyone here overcome similar issues? And how?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-03-28, 08:07 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Re: OK I've done everything but still Firewalled on Comcast

That makes two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-03-28, 11:31 PM
54.80 GB/55.77 GB/1.02

So what to do? I was able to see my cable modem's settings and there's a firewall, but no way to edit anything. Guess I'm screwed.
Old 2010-03-29, 12:51 AM
189.53 GB/232.90 GB/1.23

I'm firewalled on Comcast sometimes, and sometimes I'm not. All this weekend I was.

I went through the whole process once, and got nothing. I manage to download and keep a good ratio anyway. I expect in a few days after rebooting and using a different port on a different day, I won't be firewalled for a while.
Old 2010-04-01, 01:14 PM
7.27 GB/172.85 GB/23.77

I'm on Comcast using a 1+ year old copy of uTorrent for Winblows and I haven't had any torrent problems/slowness/connectability within recent memory. My computer is up and seeding pretty much 24/7.

Elvis, you say "I was able to see my cable modem's settings and there's a firewall." What is the model of your cale modem?

Two questions for all of you ... How long have you folks had the same sort of cable modem? Weeks, months, years? I live in the far flung suburbs of Chicago. Do any of you folks live in the Chicagoland area?

back to tech stuff ... My computer is set to a static IP above the range that the Linksys gives out as DHCP IPs. I've got UPnP forwarding disabled in both the router and uTorrent. I recall running across something that said the security of UPnP was less than perfect. uTorrent is set to use a random high port of my choosing. That port is set in my Linksys to be forwarded to the static IP. My firewall is set to allow traffic on the port to come in. I've got uTorrent set to encrypt the packets, but to also allow in connections from folks who do not use encryption.

[[ I just looked and in the router and software firewall and I also allow in on TCP/IP and UDP the old/standard port(s) that uTorrent would normally use ... or used to use ... 6969, 6881-6889. I don't think that that is necessary. I probably just forgot to turn those ports off. But, I could be wrong about that. ]]

By "disabling the firewall on ... my router." I asume that you mean that you've put the static IP of your computer into the DMZ of the router. That's the only way to disable the HW router "firewall." That's dangerous as anything other than a test. It's a very good test technique.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that you would need/want to change anything with the cable modem.

What I've mainly done above is to describe a configuration that I know works on Comcast (for me/on my section of the network). That may not necessarily help you on a Mac with Vuse. Among the peers I connect to uTorrent for Mac 0.92 is not an uncommon client. It is beta, but I see a lot of people using it.

Could it be that my subnet of the Comcat network is so different from the subnets that you folks are on? I kinda doubt it, but ...
Old 2010-04-01, 01:18 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

您康卡斯特有线电视调制解调器路由器。你有一个双路由器配置错误=
Old 2010-04-01, 01:31 PM
55.75 GB/41.34 GB/0.74

Comcast/Xfinity is the company that was found by the FCC to have illegally throttled their customer's speeds - they might still be sneaking it in.

I'd get a new ISP.

Those Verizon ads with the Verizon vs. the Comcast guy are great and pretty right on
Old 2010-04-01, 05:34 PM
7.27 GB/172.85 GB/23.77

The post by direwolf-pgh appears to be in Chinese and to say:

You Comcast Cable modem router ... do you have a dual router configuration error?

This Chinese stuff (April Fools) is quite the laugh!

It is absolutely true that Comcast was found guilty of abusively messing with BitTorrent connections ("Break em!"). The FCC came down HARD on them. Also, recently they lost the court case "Hart v Comcast" to the tune of 16 million bucks. I would think that they would be a little careful about doing that sort of thing right after they lost the case, but who knows ...

The websites are about the court case.

http://www.p2pcongestionsettlement.com/

http://cut-the-cable.com/tag/hart-v-comcast
Old 2010-04-01, 06:55 PM
Banned
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Considering I've been on demonoid downloading and uploading all month with no problem, I'm going to say the problem is likely on your end.
Old 2010-04-02, 01:38 AM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

Are you on a desktop or laptop?
Old 2010-04-02, 07:40 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
The post by direwolf-pgh appears to be in Chinese and to say:

You Comcast Cable modem router ... do you have a dual router configuration error?

This Chinese stuff (April Fools) is quite the laugh!

I was trying to say.. the comcast cable modem is a router w/firewall and you have your linksys/router firewall..
a two router config will keep you 'firewalled' every time. if this is indeed the case.. consider using one router/firewall.
its not adding any security - just making the routing tables a pain to deal with.
Old 2010-04-02, 10:58 AM
7.27 GB/172.85 GB/23.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
the comcast cable modem is a router w/firewall
My Comcast cable modem has no router in it. It's an old one ... a Motorola SB5120 (search "SB5120_User_Guide.pdf").

I you search for "Comcast Approved Cable Modems" a result pops up from Amazon that shows the approved modems that are on sale at the site. It is a non-official list. The official list is at the URL below. It could be that some of those modems cannot be used in some Comcast areas, but could be used in other areas.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

It looks like some of them are combo modem/routers, but there are a bunch on the list that have no routers in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
a two router config will keep you 'firewalled' every time
Having two routers in line between your computer and the net is a configuration that most users will not be able to properly configure. However, a few users will be able to get that setup working. If a user can avoid it then that is the much easier way to go.

To make a two router config work you could do one of the following:
- declare static route(s) - the network works best with this solution
- use RIP to "sync" the two routers up
Old 2010-04-08, 02:40 AM
189.53 GB/232.90 GB/1.23

An interesting thing about this topic. I'm listed as firewalled in the upper right corner.

I'm trying to help some dude get an Aerosmith video, and he is firewalled too, but I'm trickling some data to him anyway.

Comcast is a strange master.

edit, on the other hand that dude has a weird ratio. now I feel dirty. {shruggy shoulders}
Old 2010-04-09, 11:46 AM
7.27 GB/172.85 GB/23.77

Zach -

One possible reason for alternating between being firewalled and non-firewalled could come from using DHCP IPs along with forwarding port(s) to a given IP address. What equipment and settings are you using?

Cable modem model
router (if any)
static IP/DHCP ... if you don't know this is likely DHCP
UPnP/no UPnP
port/forwarding
BitTorrent client and version
firewall version
Old 2010-04-10, 01:23 AM
189.53 GB/232.90 GB/1.23

thanks mrpete if you have any ideas, I went through the steps on the port forwarding links a while back and had no success, but I'm willing to look back into it if there are any ideas or suggestions.

Toshiba DAZ8821F

Level One WBR-6001

pretty sure this isn't static

utorrent clicked enable UPnP port mapping ?

utorrent test says I'm good right now, and my check mark is green.

uTorrent 2.0.1 (build 18833)

I'm about to pick a torrent to run and see if I'm listed as firewalled or not before I continue.

Now trying to seed
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=30355

I'm firewalled. A couple of days ago, I wasn't for a while.

Any of you experts have any ideas other than I've configured wrong or Comcast is screwing with me, I'm willing to go through the steps again (tomorrow though, it is late )

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble