The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-28, 11:05 PM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Reggie must be on a slow connection. Or he's installed some code to double-post to improve his post count.

He spoke of dial-up earlier...

I didn't even know that still existed.

I'm leaning towards coded PWing FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-28, 11:09 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni-fi View Post
I didn't even know that still existed.
Unfortunately, I can verify it still exists when I go up to our summer place.

Old 2011-01-28, 11:10 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Yeah. On dial-up & downloading at the same time. Post & the page will hang, resulting in a double post. That's why I usually try to not d/l while posting, or vice versa.

But, if it'll double my post count...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2011-01-28, 11:58 PM
Suicidal For Life
1.38 TB/14.95 TB/10.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
Paying them with ratio for posting in the Lounge?

That's not the type of whoring we're looking for.
What type of "whoring" are you looking for then?
Originally Posted by Freezer
I heard obama was an inexperienced, terrible administrator who likely could never hack it in the private sector.
So you are like the Obama of TTD?
Old 2011-01-29, 06:10 AM
539.37 GB/1.47 TB/2.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy View Post
What type of "whoring" are you looking for then?
+1
Old 2011-01-29, 07:43 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrayoll View Post
because Buzz Kill thinks they just maybe maybe might join in some kinda way......I suppose he wants more people to read his long winded diatribes...I think most of us here have seen more than enough of that tripe....
always presume things are ego driven to proven otherwise, right?
for the record, he's not the only one that thinks things need to change around GD...why is it everyone keeps ignoring the elephant in the room and avaoiding the points being made?

the issue isn't with being heavy-handed or adding mods or offering "incentives" as mentioned above, not is it with wolf's "experiment" by randomly deleting posts from the thread...the issues in the Lounge have been with blatant attacking/trolling on a regular basis, attacking new people posting for the first time [not in a friendly welcome-to-it kinda way], and an overall aggressive/negative vibe if ya will...i've noticed it become increasingly like a playground with some cool kids who bully anyone who comes near...and numerous people have left the GD areas because of it...this ain't junior high, we're all adults, and alot of it is just plain retarted!

there are many who might not see it that way, who weren't around in the earlier years...the Lounge has always had its share of bickering sure, the so&so vs so&so battles, but it was usually kept between the two and overall the forum was lively with dozens of regular pw's, lots of interesting conversation, etc...its been a steady decline, with many telling me personally they just didn't like how negative it was becoming...and i'll agree, its really losing the "fun" of pw'ing

if we're uninterested in making the place better, increasing the amount of characters in the Lounge, and are content with aliases talking to each other and the same "entitlement" rants over & over -- then i reckon i'ma just scoot on to somewhere's else to waste my work hours away...incessant picking at people and talking to the same half dozen folks about fuck all is boring
Old 2011-01-29, 09:41 AM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
for the record, he's not the only one that thinks things need to change around GD...why is it everyone keeps ignoring the elephant in the room and avaoiding the points being made?

the issue isn't with being heavy-handed or adding mods or offering "incentives" as mentioned above, not is it with wolf's "experiment" by randomly deleting posts from the thread...the issues in the Lounge have been with blatant attacking/trolling on a regular basis, attacking new people posting for the first time [not in a friendly welcome-to-it kinda way], and an overall aggressive/negative vibe if ya will...i've noticed it become increasingly like a playground with some cool kids who bully anyone who comes near...and numerous people have left the GD areas because of it...this ain't junior high, we're all adults, and alot of it is just plain retarted!

there are many who might not see it that way, who weren't around in the earlier years...the Lounge has always had its share of bickering sure, the so&so vs so&so battles, but it was usually kept between the two and overall the forum was lively with dozens of regular pw's, lots of interesting conversation, etc...its been a steady decline, with many telling me personally they just didn't like how negative it was becoming...and i'll agree, its really losing the "fun" of pw'ing

if we're uninterested in making the place better, increasing the amount of characters in the Lounge, and are content with aliases talking to each other and the same "entitlement" rants over & over -- then i reckon i'ma just scoot on to somewhere's else to waste my work hours away...incessant picking at people and talking to the same half dozen folks about fuck all is boring
With all due respect Aaron, aren't you usually one of the first to hop on the attack wagon at the site of a bad ratio? And like I said before, god forbid anyone attempt to defend that ratio...it's all over after that. That is the type of stuff that makes people leave the lounge, and you sir are as guilty as all of us (me included). We understand what the issues are, but once again, you have reiterated the issues without any solution. We have 11 pages of this discussion with about 4 or 5 attempted solutions in it. So lets try to warm up to some of these, and quit with the incessant reiteration of the same old argument. The way I see it, at this point each person is either part of the problem, or part of the solution. With that said...

- Sending out emails with the registration, and having a link to a welcome thread in the registration page, and then even sending out a PM to the current members with an invite will all generate new interest in the lounge.

- Giving users a way to up their ratio outside of simply U/L is a great way to help out some of the bad ratio's around here. And you're not going to PW 500 posts in a day (well maybe some of the people around here could give that one a run for it's money)...But most of the people that have been around for a while that hang in the torrent section only have like 80 to 90 posts for 5 years. Let's not just be part of the problem, let's give them a solution, one that gets them hanging in the lounge and getting to know other people around here. Because obviously the charm that is exuded by the current members negates an incentive to keep people hanging around. And unless you're going to ban someone for being an asshole, I don't see how you're going to change that.

- Let's cull the trolling aliases. 90% of the lounge regulars have aliases that pop up from time to time, but there are only a select few that are used for trolling. We all know who they are...If that is a serious problem, kill it. I have no issues with aliases being used for fun, but outside of that, give them the axe.

With that said, idle threats of leaving over something like not having enough stimulating conversation in the lounge, or enough PW's to keep it interesting enough for you is just as childish and immature as anything else here. Comments like that are what drive people away. If you want to call it a playground full of bully's, then why are you making threats to take your ball and go home? Once again, part of the problem or part of the solution...which one are you going to be?

Quote:
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Old 2011-01-29, 10:04 AM
wanna buy me a drink????
1.87 TB/2.30 TB/1.23

Aaron I guess I was not clear....I do not disagree with what you say in the least

Sure let's have a better bigger lounge.....how can we be sure the actions taken will have the desired effect....which actions in what order. there is the rub...only the alias removal (Alias Assassin subforum!) sounds clearly practical of the ideas that have been floated (and there have been very few ideas put forth mostly just folks hoping for better days)
"Trust a pro" Keith Richards
"here is my offer: nothing" Mike C
Old 2011-01-29, 10:09 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
yes, we would like to see everyone at 1:1 or better.
it'd be cool if everyone taped, transferred, and edited shows too. and furthermore: taped, transferred, and edited equal amounts of shows as well.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:12 AM
C'est Bon
218.25 MB/1.71 GB/8.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
this ain't junior high, we're all adults, and alot of it is just plain retarted!
BTW, B_K doesn't like that word, and if you don't stop using it, he's gonna take his ball and go home.

Quote:
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 2011-01-29, 10:13 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoverload View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
yes, we would like to see everyone at 1:1 or better.
it'd be cool if everyone taped, transferred, and edited shows too. and furthermore: taped, transferred, and edited equal amounts of shows as well.

Right. The point you are trying to make is exactly why we don't enforce any sort of ratio requirments.

If you have an ugly car, people may make fun of you from time to time. Doesn't mean your driver's license will be taken away and you can just ignore the people, if you want. Or argue with them.

Either way, you can still drive.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:22 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

btw, we're just not going to modify ratios based on posting in the lounge, or anywhere else.

The ratio figure is just informational - but if we start jacking around with them, they'll mean nothing at all. They'll remain an accurate picture of what a user uploads and downloads for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully, users / members can keep in mind that the upload / download of data is only one way people can contribute here and the staff takes all that into account when it comes up.

There are a lot of people here with giant upload figures that deserve to wear that like a badge. They are the people that make the site run. None of this shit the 12 of us are talking about in here really amounts to much of anything, but those guys bring the joy of music to tens of thousands of people so we won't be "padding" the ratios of users just for posting in the lounge.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:23 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

and one person's ugly car is another's uniquely quirky car. but it'd be pretty silly, not to mention impossible, if everyone drove the same model and color car.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:24 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

depending on what part of the 20th century and what part of the world, but yes. I agree.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:27 AM
Get Up For The Down Stroke
412.15 GB/5.07 TB/12.58

...and if everybody followed the same "rules of the road".

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions