The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-21, 12:11 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Setting Up A Network To Share A Printer Between XP and OSX?

Hey y'all.

Im trying to setup a network between a PC with Win XP and an iBook running OSX 10.4.

Currently my printer (HP Photosmart 7350) is hooked up to the PC via USB.

Im using a Linksys WRT54G router. Iv established a network between the two computers, and enabled sharing for the printer. The mac recognized the network, I just cant get it to see the printer.

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-23, 05:58 PM
311.58 GB/355.86 GB/1.14

Re: Setting Up A Network To Share A Printer Between XP and OSX?

Hi, I don't know if I can solve your problem but I can assure you that it can work. My wife has an Apple laptop and was printing stuff to the printer attached to the PC just this weekend.

I'm no expert but I think you have got past all the major hurdles by getting the mac and PC networked and remembering to "share" the printer. In the mac side are you trying to do IP printing? I think you need to look specifically for "windows printing" when adding the printer. On 10.4 (Tiger) open print and fax from the system preferences, click on the plus sign to add a printer then ignore the stuff at the top and middle and go straight for the "more printers" button at the bottom. Select windows printing in the top box and your windows group in the next then your PC printer should appear.
On 10.3 (Panther) it is similar, open "print and fax" then click the setup printers button then the add printer icon. The first selector will give you the "windows printing" option.
I hope this helps ..... good luck.....

Last edited by luteman; 2006-01-23 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Smiley still wrong
Old 2006-01-23, 11:37 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by luteman
Hi, I don't know if I can solve your problem but I can assure you that it can work. My wife has an Apple laptop and was printing stuff to the printer attached to the PC just this weekend.

I'm no expert but I think you have got past all the major hurdles by getting the mac and PC networked and remembering to "share" the printer. In the mac side are you trying to do IP printing? I think you need to look specifically for "windows printing" when adding the printer. On 10.4 (Tiger) open print and fax from the system preferences, click on the plus sign to add a printer then ignore the stuff at the top and middle and go straight for the "more printers" button at the bottom. Select windows printing in the top box and your windows group in the next then your PC printer should appear.
On 10.3 (Panther) it is similar, open "print and fax" then click the setup printers button then the add printer icon. The first selector will give you the "windows printing" option.
I hope this helps ..... good luck.....
I have tried that, and it recognized my PC but shows no printer. And I know my printer is set to sharing, and the XP firewall is turned off.

Is there something with the router I need to do?
Old 2006-01-24, 12:53 PM
311.58 GB/355.86 GB/1.14

It's a long time since I set up my network printing. I don't remember changing anything in the router and a after a quick check just now, I couldn't see anything to set.
The only other thing I needed to do was with the ZoneAlarm firewall. I had to set up a trusted zone to include the range of IP addresses allocated by the router to each computer to allow them to talk
I also remember putting the PC in a workgroup called WORKGROUP. I also have windows sharing turned on in my mac firewall. I can't see any of these changes being being required to print though.
I think I remember reading that both the PC and Mac must be on the same subnet for the mac to see the printer ie. differ in IP address only in the last digits.
Sorry but I can't think of anything else, hopefully someone else will post an answer.
Old 2006-01-24, 03:21 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by luteman
It's a long time since I set up my network printing. I don't remember changing anything in the router and a after a quick check just now, I couldn't see anything to set.
The only other thing I needed to do was with the ZoneAlarm firewall. I had to set up a trusted zone to include the range of IP addresses allocated by the router to each computer to allow them to talk
I also remember putting the PC in a workgroup called WORKGROUP. I also have windows sharing turned on in my mac firewall. I can't see any of these changes being being required to print though.
I think I remember reading that both the PC and Mac must be on the same subnet for the mac to see the printer ie. differ in IP address only in the last digits.
Sorry but I can't think of anything else, hopefully someone else will post an answer.

done

done

done

done

lol, still not working. Thanks for you help though.
Old 2006-01-25, 02:10 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

This work around may work for you

On the WinXP Box:

Add the TCP/IP print server service

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

Double-click Add-remove Programs.

Click the Add-Remove Windows Components side button.

Open the Other Network File and Printer Services section.

Put a checkmark in Print Services for Unix.

Click OK; click Next. (The Computer will probably ask for the WinXP install disk, go ahead and put it in and the install will run automatically.)

Click Finish.

Close the Add-remove programs window.
To have the service start automatically (as a daemon):
Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

Double-click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services.

Double-click TCP/IP print Server.

Change the "Startup Type" to Automatic.

Click OK and close the windows that are open.
To share the printer for TCP/IP printing:
Click Start -> Settings -> Printers.

Right-click the print you want to share and select Sharing.

Click the radio button for Share as and fill in the share name you want to print to.
On your Mac:

Launch the Print Center.

Click the "Add Printer" button.

Change "Appletalk" to "IP Printing"

Enter the WinXP Computer's IP address in the Address box.

Uncheck the default queue radio button.

Enter the name of the printer share you defined on the XP machine.

Select your printer model (Install Gimp-Print if you don't see a ppd for your printer, restart print center and try again).

or get something like this
Quote:
http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html
The main obstacle in putting Macs and Windows PCs on a network is sharing files and printers with each other. The Mac OS and Windows have very different networking systems, so sharing files or printers on a Mac doesn’t mean a thing to PCs on the network

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2006-01-25, 03:04 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

thanks diggrd, ill give it a try in the morning.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble