The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-24, 10:47 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Question Demonoid troubles?

Hey folks, just wondering, are there any Demonoid users out there?
Are you having problems finding it? I either get a blank page or a failure to connect today? I was on this morn with no prob, but now it's dead.
I'm hoping for some temporary problems. Anyone know anything about it?
I read some crazy article about the MPAA coming down hard on trackers in the USA starting today. American access to certain trackers was supposed to be blocked or some crazy stuff like that...
What's up with that?
Old 2007-09-24, 11:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Demonoid troubles?

I just tried to hit the site and had problems too. I just ran a trace on it and it went through just fine, as did a ping of the site. So, something is definitely up.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-25, 02:53 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Icon4 Re: Demonoid troubles? temporary failure only

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentFreak
Last week, Demonoid’s ISP was forced to take a smaller BitTorrent site offline. So, when the Demonoid site failed to respond this morning, many expected the worst.

demonoidUpdate:
Anti-Piracy Organization Tries to Shut Down Demonoid

However, the current downtime of Demonoid has nothing to do with legal actions, but with hardware issues. The Demonoid team says they are currently replacing harddrives, and that it could take a few days before the site is back up.

The timeline given indicated that this is more than a regular hardware update. The downtime is probably caused by harddrive failure.

The official announcement in the Demonoid IRC channel is:

“Site offline for a few days while harddrives get replaced”

At this point it is still uncertain if any data is permanently lost or how long it will take to get things up and running. According to one of the admins It looks like the most recent data is lost for good. The good news is that there are backups, but these are a few days old.

Luckily the Demonoid trackers are not affected by the downtime. Demonoid is still one of the most used trackers, any downtime of the tracker will make thousands of torrents unusable in clients without DHT and multi-tracker support.

Update:

Demonoid placed this message on the frontpage:

We had a system problem which will force us to restore everything from backup.
The disks are pretty much empty right now and until we are able to upload the backup and set up everything up, we have to close down.
I found this somehow after a few well placed clicks...
At least now I know, and, well, you do too!

Last edited by Audioarchivist; 2007-09-25 at 02:54 AM. Reason: whoopsydaisy!
Old 2007-09-25, 02:56 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Unhappy Re: Demonoid troubles? further info.....

so, next page I saw had more potentially troubling news...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentFreak
The Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN filed a subpoena against Demonoid’s ISP (Leaseweb) in which they demand that the site will be taken offline. It seems likely that Demonoid’s current downtime is not a hardware problem, they are probably moving to another ISP.

breinYesterday we reported that the downtime at demonoid was caused by a harddisk crash, but now it seems that the real reason for the downtime could be a bit more complicated.

Demonoid is probably relocating to a new “safe haven” as we speak, this also explains why it takes a few days instead of a few hours to get back online (edit: see update).

Tim Kuik, managing director of BREIN, said in response to the downtime at Demonoid (Dutch link): “They are probably playing hide and seek. We want Leaseweb to take and keep this, and other illegal sites offline.”

This the the fist time that BREIN takes on one of the bigger BitTorrent sites. Last week they won a lawsuit against Leaseweb in a similar case, this could spell trouble for Demonoid.

In this case the Amsterdam court decided that Leaseweb had to take down everlasting.nu and hand over the name and address of the owner. Additionally, Leaseweb was forced to take down everlasting.nu, in case the site returns in the near future. The same thing could now happen to Demonoid.

Nearly 94% of the .torrent files on Demonoid are used to download copyrighted material according to research by TNO. BREIN will probably use this figure in court to convince the Judge that Demonoid is mainly used to download infringing content.

Update: Demonoid now has a message on the frontpage stating that the downtime is not related to the subpoena.

Stay tuned for updates
Old 2007-09-26, 12:39 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Thumbs down Re: Demonoid troubles?

Has anyone else heard or know anything about this stuff?

The site is still not there.
Old 2007-09-26, 11:08 AM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

Pulled from another site:

"As of now it is still unsure what exactly happened, but the popular Dutch news site nu.nl reports that the CRIA is responsible for the downtime.

TorrentFreak contacted some of the Demonoid administrators, but they are not sure what happened either. It is certainly possible that Demonoid’s Canadian ISP pulled the plug after being pressured by the CRIA. The ISP said before that they would take it down if they would receive complaints.

Right now, the Demonoid server is still pinging, but the ISP could have firewalled the everything after they received some serious legal threats. Deimos, the founder and the head admin of the site is unreachable and has not responded yet.

This is not the first time Demonoid suffers major downtime due to pressure from the anti-piracy lobby. Demonoid had to move its servers from The Netherlands to Canada in June after The Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN filed a subpoena against Demonoid’s ISP. BREIN had asked the ISP to take Demonoid offline and hand over the administrator’s personal details, but Demonoid relocated their servers before any harm was done.

Unfortunately, it now seems that Canada is not the “safe haven” as they expected it to be. It is likely that Demonoid has to relocate again, for the second time in three months.

Demonoid tracks over a million .torrent files and is the second largest BitTorrent tracker after The Pirate Bay. The shutdown of the site and tracker is a huge blow for the BitTorrent community that lost 2 of the most popular BitTorrent trackers (TorrentBox was taken offline for US users a few hours ago) within 24 hours."

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-shu...y-cria-070925/
Old 2007-09-26, 07:20 PM
152.29 GB/261.57 GB/1.72

demonoid is gone i would assume. and isohunt closed their US trackers yesterday.
Old 2007-09-26, 09:43 PM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2007-09-26, 09:52 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Old 2007-09-26, 09:53 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinowing
demonoid is gone i would assume. and isohunt closed their US trackers yesterday.
As of earlier today, we have disabled access from users in the US to our trackers, until further notice. This goes for ALL trackers (torrentbox, podtropolis) we run. This is due to the US's hostility towards P2P technologies, and we feel with our current lawsuit brought by the MPAA, we can no longer ensure your security and privacy in the US. So, if you're outside the US, you may notice less peers. We encourage you to add other public, unhampered trackers to torrents you post, in addition to Torrentbox and Podtropolis's trackers.

THIS IS ONLY REGARDING TRACKERS OWNED BY ISOHUNT.COM NOT 3RD PARTY TRACKERS -- DO NOT CONTACT ME PRIVATELY ABOUT THE CHANGE IN POLICY

Update: Spike
Apparently some P2P news sites are falsely reporting that we are blocking US visitors from using the isoHunt website itself. Let me say this is NOT the case. As reported above we are blocking US visitors ONLY to the BitTorrent TRACKERS we run. This will NOT affect torrents obtained from isoHunt unless these torrents only use said trackers that are isoHunt operated.
Old 2007-09-27, 12:30 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Just go down and shoplift your CD's and DVD's from the store. You can still get your stuff for free no problem.
Old 2007-09-27, 04:21 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

This is funny:

As reported in the news lately, Comcast Communications, a US cable company with pretty widespread marketshare has, without prior warning, is preventing its customers from uploading (seeding) via the bittorrent protocol. If you're a comcast customer, I would suggest letting them know that you're not appreciative.

More info from a user affected: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/08/...ike-it-or-not/
Old 2007-09-27, 07:44 AM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

Hmmm, I downloaded a bunch of .pdf's from Demonoid yesterday with no problem. It took a while, but they downloaded.
Old 2007-09-27, 01:53 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
This is funny:

As reported in the news lately, Comcast Communications, a US cable company with pretty widespread marketshare has, without prior warning, is preventing its customers from uploading (seeding) via the bittorrent protocol. If you're a comcast customer, I would suggest letting them know that you're not appreciative.

More info from a user affected: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/08/...ike-it-or-not/

Why would anyone need a fast connection to read e-mails? They better rethink that.
Old 2007-09-27, 01:56 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
Just go down and shoplift your CD's and DVD's from the store. You can still get your stuff for free no problem.
yeah, that's exactly what it's like.

I mostly use it for quad recordings that have been made into 5.1. It would be too time consuming for me to buy old recordings from ebay and do that myself.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble