The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-05-01, 12:25 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Seedboxes TorrentFlux, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
ststephen: thx for the info!

yeah, I've got an old comp that I could format and put to work as a seedbox... but do I need a special account to run a server? could I just tap it into my home network and use it exclusively for bt? I've got a friend who runs a linux server from home and also uses it for bt, I can ask him for some advice as well (and let you guys know what he tells me).
If you just do it from home, then you are limited to the speeds of your ISP, so you are not gaining a thing. You need to use a server that has a faster connection.... but stay away from the TTD servers or you will piss off the users!

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-05-01, 01:59 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

awwwwwwww

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-05-01, 06:35 PM
Another man spills....
349.38 GB/1.11 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner View Post
i've never dealt with one personally, but we have an acquaintance at the pub that runs all his torrents from a seedbox...next time i run into him, i'll ask about the cron job issue and let ya know
That would be great! I will also do some research myself this weekend, I am sure I SHOULD be able to figure it out.

Lost your db.etree.org list? Try: http://db.etree.org.test.ibiblio.org/index.php

Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep uploading their music to my computer?
Old 2008-05-01, 06:38 PM
Another man spills....
349.38 GB/1.11 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
ststephen: thx for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I have a "server" tucked away at a remote location for the express purpose of jacking up my ratio at another torrent site where it's hard to get seeding credit due to the slim membership list. I put uTorrent on it and go in remotely once a week to add bullshit torrents to the list to get upload credit.. it just sits there running 20 at a time.. and it's an old eMachine 333MHz machine with a 20GB drive and 128MB of RAM basically a piece of junk, but it;s serving its purpose, like a toaster or blender. I call it my ratio machine You just need to find a place to stick one that has broadband.
yeah, I've got an old comp that I could format and put to work as a seedbox... but do I need a special account to run a server? could I just tap it into my home network and use it exclusively for bt? I've got a friend who runs a linux server from home and also uses it for bt, I can ask him for some advice as well (and let you guys know what he tells me).
Sure, you could do that. Part of my deal is that Comcast messes with my torrents AND I had this server that was rather lonely and paid for. So, I get the best of both worlds, no Comcast interference and faster speeds. If you hook up at home, you will still be limited by your broadband connection.

Lost your db.etree.org list? Try: http://db.etree.org.test.ibiblio.org/index.php

Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep uploading their music to my computer?
Old 2008-05-01, 06:45 PM
Another man spills....
349.38 GB/1.11 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
gotcha - these are hosted offsite shared/dedicated servers.
so you're saying if you have a faster connection you download faster. Ive heard that before somewhere.
Good to hear this is confirmed again.

how much are you paying for dedicated servers just to download stuff ?
then you need to FTP/transfer the files back to your local workstation.. correct?
thats kinda like downloading twice isnt it?

i think ill stick with the 20Mbps/20Mbps Fios for $55 a month.
a T1 connection is 1.544 Mbps
I seem to recall my server has 1000 Mbps. I do download twice, although a recent ~600mb show took about 7 mins at 2500-3000 kB/s (there were 100+ seeders). Using SECURE FTP, I avoid Comcast throttling and get 1000 kB/s from the server to my workstation. It took 18 minutes. So, a total of 25 minutes. By the time I had burned the show, I had shared it 9 times already (900%). I love sharing!

Old 2008-05-02, 09:48 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

you're happy we're happy
got it.

(although I was curious how much a month for the shared server)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble