The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-03-30, 10:29 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Server Loads - March 30

Or, What the Hell Happened on the Den Yesterday?

It seems that while I was driving home from U2's first night performance and a couple hundred miles away from my computer, the first night of U2's tour was posted on the Den (Thank You, Chris!). From what I understand, within four hours, the leechers on the torrent were up to nearly 1000. And, the Den started to crawl and the other sites on our server came to a halt also and our host had to bring down the site.

Anyway, I phoned the host, he brought the site back up, but it quickly got overloaded with users again and he brought it down again. I got home and immediately hooked up with Jeff and we brought it back up and I had to limit the sessions. I've been playing around with that all night. I'm not sure what is making the server load spike, but when it is spiking way to high, I have to limit the server load again or the host will take it down again. I also limited searches from one every 30 seconds to one every 90 seconds. Again, sorry about this, but I need to do something to allow more users on, but less load on the server.

I am working with the host to figure out what to do here. If you can't get on for a few minutes, it's because the sessions are limited and I'm worried the server will get overloaded. I don't know if we will have to go to a dedicated server (at twice the hosting cost) or if we can figure something else out. I also don't know if this increase in traffic is temporary or not.

I'm sorry about this to all you non-U2 fans.

But, to all you U2 fans...... U2 Rocks!!!!!

edit: some quick stats..
Registration: 1025 users yesterday, before yesterday max users was 444

Active Online: 564 users yesterday (before the host brought the site down), 209 max users before yesterday

Unique users per day: 3488 yesterday (and that was with downtime of 8 hours), 2734 before that on a full day

Good job guys!

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-30, 04:07 PM
VBT Mod
TTD VIP
9.60 TB/15.17 TB/1.58

Re: Server Loads - March 30

and the site userbase explodes.... this could be the launching pad
Old 2005-03-30, 06:51 PM
I still haven't found...
20.74 GB/22.54 GB/1.09

Sounds like an act of war to me; you should consider banning Chris.

NOT. Live long and prosper, Chris and TDD both.
Old 2005-03-31, 09:31 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

and hence the problem with U2...always causing trouble!

thanks for gettin us back up and goin lynne...i was hopin TTD wasn't takin the path of STG so soon...slainte!
Old 2005-03-31, 12:35 PM
trojandomer
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

any ideas on what to do once the DVD's start hitting the scene? I am guessing there won't be as much demand as the first full u2 show in 4 years, simply because people without dvd burners etc, but I am guessing they will still have a pretty good number of leachers simplay because of how long they are alive before people begin completing.

Either way, glad the site is back up.
Old 2005-03-31, 01:55 PM
Banned for excessive taping
120.29 GB/343.52 GB/2.86

Were the problems caused by the load on the web site (vBulletin) or the load on the tracker?
Old 2005-03-31, 02:01 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Were the problems caused by the load on the web site (vBulletin) or the load on the tracker?
The problems were caused by the load on vBulletin. We had more users on this site than we normally do and thus many, many more sessions going. We are working on optimizing the server, although it may be that the best solution is to just move to our own server. I stopped limiting sessions yesterday morning and we are now watching the loads closely. So far things have been running just fine.

Old 2005-03-31, 03:50 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojandomer
any ideas on what to do once the DVD's start hitting the scene? I am guessing there won't be as much demand as the first full u2 show in 4 years, simply because people without dvd burners etc, but I am guessing they will still have a pretty good number of leachers simplay because of how long they are alive before people begin completing.

Get people to seed the DVD's on eztree atleast an hour before seeding them here?
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-03-31, 04:32 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojandomer

Get people to seed the DVD's on eztree atleast an hour before seeding them here?
By the time Michael gets the first one mixed and authored, I believe we will be just fine. And actually, I think now that we know what can happen when a few hundred people all join the site to download a show, we know what we will have to do next time so that the server doesn't get overloaded.

Old 2005-04-04, 10:36 AM
TTD VIP
191.41 GB/224.76 GB/1.17

Glad I could be a tester for you guys.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions