The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-11-19, 10:42 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

So I bought a minDV

Been wanting something simple and small for a while. Picked up a Sony DCR-PC109 open box at Best buy for $150. Came with no accesories just went onnline and grabes the dock, 5 X batt, charger, USB etc. Total I payed about 250. Any info out ther eon this cam? things in great shape was this a good deal? at most I plan to be a casual taper maybe half. dozen shows a year, I was eyeing this same cam when it was new a couple years ago. Still goes for 600+/- onnline. Anyhow I'm kinda excited

Last edited by PintOfGuinness2; 2005-11-20 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-11-20, 09:10 AM
159.08 GB/668.12 GB/4.20

Re: So I bot a minDV

I have watched shows taped w/ other sony miniDV's and they look great.Not sure about that model but I've seen good results w/ other sony miniDVs so I'm sure it'll be fine.
Taping video can be a bit of a hassle-make sure you have a buddy to bring beverages and keep an eye on things while you use the bathromm and/or other breaks!
Not sure if this post helped but it sure is a joy to be able to re-live the show the day after!
Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 2005-11-20, 09:39 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Re: So I bought a minDV

congrats on your new purchase...
now it's time to look into good tripods. I recommend something that will reach at least 7 ft in order to get above everyone's heads (otherwise you've wasted your time and money).
I really like my bogen/manfrotto 475B legs with 700RC2 head...
IMO, a video camera is worthless without a good tripod....

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-11-20, 02:41 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

that's kinda sad that the tripod costs more than the cam rofl
Old 2005-11-20, 03:08 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

you picked up a nice one... at a steal of a deal.

lots of videos here shot with that one.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...earchid=154276
Old 2005-11-20, 03:11 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
that's kinda sad that the tripod costs more than the cam rofl
yep...my tripod/head cost 2x as much as the camera
but without a good tripod/head, then all your efforts are wasted

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2005-11-20, 04:30 PM
1.03 TB/1.07 TB/1.03

Awesome thanks for the info. Too bad I can't afford a decent tripod till after the holidays... May bring it to a Phil show next month for a "test run" get a little handheld footage for fun
Old 2005-11-20, 04:44 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

I can't even imagine how to smuggle the stand in.
Thanks Mike
Old 2005-11-20, 11:50 PM
TTD VIP
61.11 GB/79.12 GB/1.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfGuinness2
Awesome thanks for the info. Too bad I can't afford a decent tripod till after the holidays... May bring it to a Phil show next month for a "test run" get a little handheld footage for fun

fuck the test run ...... my test runs sucked.....wish I wouldn't have blown some of the stuff I taped by handhelding it and not having some kind of stand.....

no matter how good you are .....handheld vids just suck
Old 2005-11-21, 08:15 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

hey Pint, you might want to get a monopod since they're smaller & cheaper...not as good as using a tripod, but it'll minimize shake...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=3953
Old 2005-11-21, 09:03 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

you definately want something that will reach 7ft to go over peoples heads...I use the stealthpod for stealth applications...for that, you will need this adapter. also, a disadvantage of monopods is you cannot let the camera alone and is therefore is user intensive...

Old 2005-11-21, 11:09 AM
201.57 GB/503.56 GB/2.50

I got a DCR-HC30 (Sony MiniDV)....it's pretty awesome but I haven't got to tape any shows with it yet.

I keep coming back to the same questions...How the hell do you set up a tripod and leave it "up there" for hours without anybody noticing?
Old 2005-11-21, 12:43 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs0
I got a DCR-HC30 (Sony MiniDV)....it's pretty awesome but I haven't got to tape any shows with it yet.

I keep coming back to the same questions...How the hell do you set up a tripod and leave it "up there" for hours without anybody noticing?
just act like you know what your doing and pretend that you're supposed to be there taping...having confidence goes a long way...if you act like you're doing something wrong, then people will think that you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing...if you act like you own the place and that you're meant to be there taping, then others think that you're supposed to be there...
the only people that really care anyway are the bands managers/staff, so avoid them...the venue staff usually don't care because they only make minimum wages or slightly more anyway...it helps greatly to have a "crew" of 2-5 peeps that can help stand around and block you from being in sight of anyone "important"...scope out the venue and let 'er rip!
The worst that can happen is that they make you leave the venue. Usually if caught (though I've never *actually* been busted--yet) they just make you turn off your camera and you can stay...never let anyone take your camera or tapes from you--they do not have the right to do that...as far as I know, taping is not against the law, it's just sometimes not allowed

Old 2005-11-21, 01:33 PM
62.31 GB/55.68 GB/0.89

A tripod really is a necessity for good results, but if you really can't afford one before the holidays and you want to test it out "hand held" style. There is a little trick that will help improve your results. Bring a piece of rope and probably a large washer. Tie the washer to one end and tie other end of the rope around the camera. Then as you shoot your video sand on the washer/rope and pull it tight so the camera doesn't move on the vertical plane. Obviously this will not prevent shakeyness, but it will cut down on it.

Another option, depending on the venue, etc... is to bring a sturdy mic stand and get/make and adapter for the stand to put the camera on, and do a static shot. In a dark venue, if you set it up and close the LCD view screen and put a small piece of tape over the RED led for record, many times it will go undetected, if you set up in the right place.
Old 2006-12-08, 07:52 AM
670.09 GB/1.10 TB/1.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
congrats on your new purchase...
now it's time to look into good tripods. I recommend something that will reach at least 7 ft in order to get above everyone's heads (otherwise you've wasted your time and money).
OK I asked this on another thread, but this is probably a more appropriate forum... I've been trying my luck at some video taping and am looking for a little advice for taping from the middle of a crowd. I found this tidbit from chachi, which really helps, thanks!

My question is how to you control a camera (zooming, panning, etc.) if its up around 7ft? I guess you have your hands above your head the whole time, with the view screen pointing down so you can see it? It seems like that would get in the way of people behind you trying to see the show. Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble