The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2010-01-14, 10:13 PM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Re: Name & Shame Uberleechers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Ewing View Post
but ain't it ironic that it's nearly always the Uberleechers that are the only downloaders to say "thanks" !!
You're probably right JohnRoss but people need to know their limitations as to what they take and what they give. Just ask Sue-Ellen!

BTW: How is snowtown? My furnace is going great-guns.
Old 2010-01-14, 10:16 PM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiee09 View Post
Hey man I am working on it. People are so angry on here
Not ALL of us are angry. Some of us just think that the No's should be a bit more even. I know it's easy to get carried away with getting stuff but we learn to moderate ourselves.
Old 2010-01-15, 09:50 AM
404.94 GB/171.64 GB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Not ALL of us are angry. Some of us just think that the No's should be a bit more even. I know it's easy to get carried away with getting stuff but we learn to moderate ourselves.
Well like i said. Some of us first get here and see all of this great material ( especially vids like Beatles anthology) and have to get it. I mean, I had been looking for that for almost a year. As soon as I read the rules about ratios and all of that mess I started to be more careful. So its a learning process especially for those of us of who are new. Now if I had been here for a 6 months or something and never uploaded a thing that would be a different story right???
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-01-15, 07:15 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
But only if you're in the red. If you have uploaded more than you download, it can be lopsided as hell, and you're praised for it. 100 GB down / 5 TB up is commendable, right? Or should those numbers be more even as well so that some poor dsl user can upload his 15 kBps, and get back to 1/1?

Ratios are obsolete in this era of huge bandwidth and great variety of speed options.

"Rescued Torrents" or something would be a better option. Show stats on how many times you've hopped back on torrents with no seeders in order to let the leechers complete.
Old 2010-01-16, 01:55 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
As soon as I read the rules about ratios and all of that mess I started to be more careful.

There are no rules about ratios here.
Old 2010-01-16, 05:18 AM
229.55 GB/440.35 GB/1.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
There are no rules about ratios here.
and i believe that to be the correct approach.
DIME bans you from downloading if your ratio falls beneath 0.25; but look at their stats for downloaders who give back more than they download, and it's proportionately pretty bad.
it seems to me that creating a mandatory base-line encourages a lot of people to feel that they've done enough at 0.25.
the answer is to encourage an ego-war in which people that upload more than they download are revered beyond all logic; you'll see folk wearing their ratios like bling.
Old 2010-01-16, 06:55 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Well like i said. Some of us first get here and see all of this great material ( especially vids like Beatles anthology) and have to get it. I mean, I had been looking for that for almost a year. As soon as I read the rules about ratios and all of that mess I started to be more careful. So its a learning process especially for those of us of who are new. Now if I had been here for a 6 months or something and never uploaded a thing that would be a different story right???
Yes that would be a different story. I'm not saying everyone has to be 1/1 or more, it's just that some will sit on a small amount like .05 or whatever and not think of the rest.
Old 2010-01-16, 06:57 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktime View Post
Ratios are obsolete in this era of huge bandwidth and great variety of speed options.
Not everyone is in that position. You can't make that the be all and end all.
Old 2010-01-16, 07:11 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Ewing View Post
the answer is to encourage an ego-war in which people that upload more than they download are revered beyond all logic; you'll see folk wearing their ratios like bling.
Some people have ego's the size of the solar system but that doesn't change the way the torrent system works.Some would wear the bling, but probably only in their own eyes. It does not impress me that someone has uploaded 2TB and downloaded 50GB, just to use some numbers.
If someone has High Speed Internet and leaves there system on 24/7 their "ratio" would go through the roof. At least they give back.

I understand that we all start somewhere and need to learn the game but after awhile you get a sense of what to do - mostly.
Old 2010-01-16, 10:32 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

maybe the ratio-ego issue is simple...ratio is inversely proportional to penis size
Old 2010-01-16, 10:41 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

or you can look at it like the need-a-penny tray
do you always take without leaving any?

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2010-01-16, 05:01 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktime View Post
This isn't true. Many do not have huge bandwidth & massive upload speeds available to them.

And it's funny that statements like that are almost always made by those with low ratios.

Quote:
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2010-01-16, 07:19 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

but many do, and it's this disparity in upload speeds that makes ratios obsolete. when things were more equal, and everyone had similar b/w and wasn't being throttled/hacked with sandvine, the field was more level, and ratios mattered more. but one fiber optic user these days can take away upload opportunities for dozens of cable and dsl users. if most had fiber and similar u/l speeds, ratios would be relevant again. time spent seeding and 'torrents rescued' make much more sense to emphasize now if mofos are gonna make judgments based on tracker effort.

Last edited by peaktime; 2010-01-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 2010-01-16, 07:27 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer View Post
This isn't true. Many do not have huge bandwidth & massive upload speeds available to them.

And it's funny that statements like that are almost always made by those with low ratios.
I'm one of those w/o huge bandwidth & have this firewall thing that I can't figure out. Doesn't stop me.

And, really I should have quoted peaktime sorry spencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2010-01-16, 07:32 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

well, seeding 600+ shows and only downloading 20 GB helps a little too

that's not a knock or anything, it's a compliment...thanks so much for taping and sharing!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers