The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-03, 02:15 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Angry Firewalled....and hating it....PLEASE HELP

O.K. here goes, I have tried everything in the help section to get rid of my firewall and forward ports to no avail.

I am using windows xp media edition (firewall disabled), q-worst is my ISP, I have a 2wire 2700HG-D router/modem, I am using ABC torrent client, and my anti-virus software is turned off (i have tried uninstalling it as well).

I have done everything at portforward.com several times with no luck.

So, someone who is much more TechnoSmart please help me out I am not that knowledgable Tech-wise so step by step would also be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by KPO; 2007-04-03 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-03, 06:20 PM
261.52 GB/295.81 GB/1.13

Re: Firewalled....and hating it....PLEASE HELP

You've turned off your AV temporarily, right? It normally shouldn't cause a problem, I've never had to mess with my AV with any p2p programs (torrent, donkey, etc.). Keep it on. Unless you meant your firewall?
Old 2007-04-03, 10:12 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

No offense, but does anyone want to offer real help
Old 2007-04-03, 10:22 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

hi

your firewall is in your modem and portforward.com has very specific instructions for your model
what part are you getting stuck on
Old 2007-04-03, 10:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

One of the steps very commonly skipped over when people follow the instructions at portforward.com is setting up a static local IP (and therefore not using DHCP). This will always give you the same local IP (192.168.1.xxx) when you log in. If you use DHCP (the D stands for Dynamic), then you can get a different local IP everytime to start up your computer. When you forward your ports, you forward it for a specific local IP and if you don't always have that local IP, the port can't be forwarded to it. So, are you sure you set up a static local IP?

Old 2007-04-03, 10:41 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
One of the steps very commonly skipped over when people follow the instructions at portforward.com is setting up a static local IP (and therefore not using DHCP). This will always give you the same local IP (192.168.1.xxx) when you log in. If you use DHCP (the D stands for Dynamic), then you can get a different local IP everytime to start up your computer. When you forward your ports, you forward it for a specific local IP and if you don't always have that local IP, the port can't be forwarded to it. So, are you sure you set up a static local IP?
No I don't know if I did that or not, is that on portforward? But it seems that I always have 71.34.15.xxx, I did not see that there, like I said....I'm pretty Techno-short bus, how do I do that?

thanks again
Old 2007-04-03, 10:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yes, it is listed, however it is just a small line with a single link to this page and so easily missed: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Old 2007-04-03, 10:48 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

OK I didn't see that thanks again U2Lynne
Old 2007-04-04, 12:16 AM
435.28 GB/2.41 TB/5.68

U2Lynne
hey
I want ot thank all of the mods here and of course the rest of the community
for always being so helpful!
really!
but especially to you...
U2Lynne

I know when I have struggled with answers you usually got 'em
thanx
Old 2007-04-04, 03:45 AM
109.58 GB/184.39 GB/1.68

When I had Qwest as my isp in Colorado, on a dsl account, I was never able to become un-firewalled. No matter what I did, i.e. portforward.com, technobabble help, etc., no go. When I called Qwest and asked them about why I could not get unfirewalled, they told me that if I paid for a more costly commercial account that I wouldn't have that problem. So I switched to cable and have not been firewalled since. I literally just plugged my router into the new cable modem and I had everything setup just right. I messed around a long time trying to get that firewall stuff sorted out before I found out that Qwest detects bittorrent activity and puts the clamps on it. I don't know if Qwest does this everywhere, but they sure do in Colorado.

Last edited by Asymmetric; 2007-04-04 at 03:52 AM.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:44 AM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Yes, it is listed, however it is just a small line with a single link to this page and so easily missed: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
Thanks again U2Lynne, but...........still firewalled, do I need to change something in ABC as well. I attached a screen shot that I think I may have do something with but I'm not sure what? Thanks so much for your help and patience
Attached Images
File Type: png abc network prefs.png
( 18.4 KB, 73 views)

Old 2007-04-04, 01:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I don't think you need to do anything in that tab of your preferences.

When you go to a terminal window and you type "ipconfig" (I hope I got that right this time!), you should get a listing that includes your local IP (192.168.1.xxx). Make sure that local IP is the one listed in your modem with the ports you want opened. Then, make sure that those same ports are the ones listed in ABC. Then, check on canyouseeme.org to see if that port is really opened for you. If all of this is done as I wrote and it still is not open for you, I would start to suspect that your XP firewall or anti-virus software is firewalling you.

Old 2007-04-04, 03:56 PM
397.21 GB/264.91 GB/0.67

Your firewalled so what. You have to have security on your computer to protect you from idenety theft. People in the trading community do not have the right to try to make you feel bad for not shareing enough when you are actualy doing the right thing to protect yourself from idenety theft by being firewalled..
Old 2007-04-04, 04:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHill
Your firewalled so what. You have to have security on your computer to protect you from idenety theft. People in the trading community do not have the right to try to make you feel bad for not shareing enough when you are actualy doing the right thing to protect yourself from idenety theft by being firewalled..
I suggest you read up on this a little bit. If bittorrent was SO dangerous, then why do we not read about all the Bad Things happening to all of us who use bittorrent to file share and who open up our ports? Torrent files such as the ones on this site and many other music sharing sites do not cause problems with the users. The contents of these files are clearly listed under the Files List in the first post of any torrent thread. Those are the ONLY files you will be getting from any other person you are connected to via that torrent. Someone cannot sneak any other file past your bittorrent client except the ones listed for that torrent file because that is how bittorrent works. The only other way to get something passed you is if someone exploits some 'hole' in the bittorrent client that you are using. In order to exploit that 'hole', the would have to know where the hole is, how to exploit it, and then know your IP and what port you have open for that bittorrent client. Very highly unlikely.... unless there is some sort of bittorrent conspiracy going on and they are hiding all these cases from us.

Old 2007-04-04, 04:37 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHill
And I don't even put ANYTHING on my computer that you could steal my identity with.....you could steal Music or wreak havoc with my system....I'll reformat....I just want to share what I have....and get a acceptable upload

P.S. spell check?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble