The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-30, 08:52 PM
VH NEW ORLEANS 7/13/78
118.51 GB/224.41 GB/1.89

Anyone else getting 100 KB/sec upload with Comcast?

I've noticed in the last couple weeks I'm getting 100 KB/sec upload when previously it was 40 KB/sec. I guess they upped it. I know there's a premium service where you can pay for faster uploads and downloads but I didn't opt for that. Maybe this was their response to all of the internet articles about them fucking with Bit Torrenting.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-31, 08:31 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Anyone else getting 100 KB/sec upload with Comcast?

I always get about 135kB with Cox... sort of on topic..
Old 2007-12-31, 11:29 AM
249.09 GB/468.59 GB/1.88

I get ~100KB/sec upload via Comcast, but I pay $10 a month on top of the usual. Guess I need to find out if I'm paying for 'nothing'...
Old 2008-01-02, 05:57 PM
131.88 GB/356.29 GB/2.70

I've been on Comcrap for a couple of years now, only because it's superior to dsl as far as speed, but if fiber optic was available in my area I'd dump em in a heartbeat. Anyway I digress...
I've also paid the 'premium' rate (not sure what marketing scheme name they're using for it now) which advertised 8mb/s down and 1.5mb/s up. I had only ever seen max speeds of about 90kbps up, though...until right about the time they were in the news being called on interference. Now it's jumped to a whopping peak of about 135kbps (sarcasm). Downloads are sweet though, but it never helps my ratio. Unfortunately I'll stick with cable until there's something better.
Old 2008-06-12, 08:39 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I've noticed in the last couple weeks I'm getting 100 KB/sec upload when previously it was 40 KB/sec. I guess they upped it. I know there's a premium service where you can pay for faster uploads and downloads but I didn't opt for that. Maybe this was their response to all of the internet articles about them fucking with Bit Torrenting.
This just started happening to me about 5 days ago. I thought it was a fluke , so I didn't want to get too excited about it, but maybe they are starting to change their shitty ways or something?

I had almost switched to ATT DSL over the sandvine thing, 'cos it's the only other game in town. However their routers suck and I'd have to pay an extra 5 bucks a month for a static ip so I wouldn't be firewalled.

Anyway, my previous speed was capped between 40-50 kbs, so now it has more than doubled. I'm not paying the extra 10 bucks either. I am still using encryption and the free Wipfw (or something like that) firewall from RedHat.

I thing they must be changing this one region at a time. I live in the Southeast. Where else is this happening?

Anyway, until I hear otherwise, I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. I still don't trust this company, and I hate that they are the "best", well fastest-speed isp in my area.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2008-06-12, 08:48 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
According to leaked docs, Comcast is officially bumping up their previously tiny upload caps on two of their plans tomorrow. Their 6Mbps/384Kbps plan is becoming 6Mbps/1Mbps, and the 8Mbps/768Kbps plan is becoming 8Mbps/2Mbps. Some people might think they have this rate already because of Comcast's recently rolled out PowerBoost feature, which eliminates bandwidth caps on files of 10MB or less, and gives you a peak speed of about 2Mbps. This explains any extraordinarily high results you've been getting when using a bandwidth test site—which usually test uploads with files less than 10MB. Look out for this to hit tomorrow. See the official release after the jump.

http://gizmodo.com/5015669/comcast-i...-2x3x-tomorrow

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2008-06-12, 09:38 PM
Fuck 2024
1.58 TB/3.22 TB/2.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd View Post
Quote:
According to leaked docs, Comcast is officially bumping up their previously tiny upload caps on two of their plans tomorrow. Their 6Mbps/384Kbps plan is becoming 6Mbps/1Mbps, and the 8Mbps/768Kbps plan is becoming 8Mbps/2Mbps. Some people might think they have this rate already because of Comcast's recently rolled out PowerBoost feature, which eliminates bandwidth caps on files of 10MB or less, and gives you a peak speed of about 2Mbps. This explains any extraordinarily high results you've been getting when using a bandwidth test site—which usually test uploads with files less than 10MB. Look out for this to hit tomorrow. See the official release after the jump.

http://gizmodo.com/5015669/comcast-i...-2x3x-tomorrow
Nice.

Thanks for the info, and I am most definitely getting the upload speed and not just the powerboost thing. I've had that for a while, but it fizzled out after a few minutes. For the past few days I've had a constant speed of 80-150 kbs depending on how many seeders and leechers were on a torrent.

It would be nice if it stayed like this, because my ratio and ability to upload have suffered since the sandvine thing & having to use encryption.

~Dorothy Parker
Old 2008-06-12, 09:58 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
PowerBoost feature, which eliminates bandwidth caps on files of 10MB or less, and gives you a peak speed of about 2Mbps.
that's a great idea and makes prefect sense.. get the traffic through the network as fast as possible.
Old 2008-06-15, 11:57 PM
307.20 GB/146.23 GB/0.48

Talking Re: Anyone else getting 100 KB/sec upload with Comcast?

Comcast called me today to offer me an upgrade to my cable. They are upgrading my 6 megs of power to 16 megs of power. It happens immediatly and is free for 2 months. After that is costs an extra $10.00 per month for the service. Now when I had the 6 megs of power I was already getting speeds above 100KB/sec.........Peace
Old 2008-06-16, 09:39 PM
155.85 GB/122.34 GB/0.79

Been averaging about 120..... Been as high as 800....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble