The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-09, 01:46 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

downloading/uploading problem

Hi,
I'm downloading the Dylan - Rolling Thunder - Plymouth Rock "new tape" from you at

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ighlight=dylan

I'm using utorrent

For the last 24 hours the utorrent readout has been, in part,

DONE: 65.1%
AVAIL: .651

I checked the downloaded file and it appears to be complete. So it seems the reason I'm not downloading anymore is that in reality I'm done. Can you suggest a reason why utorrent thinks I'm at 65%?

By the way, I have re-booted and then re-downloaded this torrent so that utorrent would check and it still stopped at 65.1%

suggestions?

thanks in advance.

M
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-09, 03:06 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

Re: downloading/uploading problem (continued)

Hi again,

I've checked my copies of the individual files of the aforementioned, apparently complete, download from

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums...highlight=dylan

and they seem to be corrupt. Normally I would assume the source files were therefore corrupt, but you guys seem to take great pains to insure that this kind of thing doesn't occur.
1. Is this still a possibility?
2. How could I have corrupted the files in the course of download?
3. Could files in fact be fine and my software mistaken in believing them corrupt?

suggestions?

thanks

M
Old 2007-09-09, 04:05 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

Re: downloading/uploading problem #3 (oops)

Hi,

Sorry, for the confusion,

The download I've been having trouble with is the dylan - 04/20/80 Born Again re-seed at

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ighlight=dylan

thanks,
m
Old 2007-09-09, 04:16 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: downloading/uploading problem

I don't see you actually downloading any show at the moment.

If you have only reached 65%, then none of the files are complete (bittorrent does not download track 1, then track 2, etc, it randomly downloads bits of the tracks at a time), and thus if you try to decode them, you will get errors.

Also, the person seeding the show is also seeding 5 other shows which is really not an efficient way to help seed a show. You might also want to send a nice PM to the seeder explaining that there are a few of you stuck and that it would be nice if he could concentrate all his seeding power on that one torrent for a little while.

Old 2007-09-09, 10:15 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

Thanks so much Lynne,
but I'm still puzzled a little. In general when I place my cursor on a specific file title, a list of specs come up, including the size of the file. Generally, if the file is incomplete, the size listed is smaller than the size of the complete file, but in this case, I get 765 MB which is the size of the complete file I'm trying to download. So, if file is only at 65% can you think what could cause this error?
Old 2007-09-09, 10:34 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesm
Thanks so much Lynne,
but I'm still puzzled a little. In general when I place my cursor on a specific file title, a list of specs come up, including the size of the file. Generally, if the file is incomplete, the size listed is smaller than the size of the complete file, but in this case, I get 765 MB which is the size of the complete file I'm trying to download. So, if file is only at 65% can you think what could cause this error?
There is a setting in many bittorrent clients which allows the application to pre-allocate the whole file size for the files. So, it will *look* like the file is complete in size, but it isn't if you can't run the checksums successfully on them (or if it doesn't say 100% in the bt client).

Old 2007-09-13, 12:35 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

Hi again,

Thanks for so much good information. Being so ignorant this simply points to things I have to learn more about, but that is a lot. many thanks.

Once again, we are talking about my difficulties downloading the re-seed of
the Dylan: Born Again Music - 04/20/80 download at

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums...highlight=dylan

My present status:

I went through the downloaded files and each ones lists its data except one.
Only one file (track 14) appears incomplete.

This would be consistent with utorrent telling me, as it does, that I have downloaded 765 MB out of a complete file of 765 MB, since this column of the bittorrent page rounds to nearest MB so I could be incomplete as much as .5 MB and still the numbers could be the same. So this would allow for the one incomplete file I appear to have.

That leaves the other column of the page which now tells me I'm only at 67.4% complete. (up from the earlier 65.1% the last time I wrote, at which time there were a number of files that appeared to be incomplete). I've looked
at the thread for this reseed and no one has posted there complaining of not being able to finish.

?
Old 2007-09-13, 12:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

First off, you are firewalled, which means you may not transfer data with anyone else who is firewalled. On that torrent, there are only two people not firewalled and five who are (including you), which means you may only connect to two of those peers. What this also means, which is really important here, is that the one seeder who is NOT firewalled, must transfer that same information to every single one of you firewalled people since you are not sharing with each other. This makes downloading especially slow because that means instead of sharing with one person and that person sharing what they have with everyone else, the seeder must share the same thing over and over again before they share something new.

If you really think your files are complete, then try running the fingerprint file on them (the ffp). I am pretty positive that you are only 65% complete just like the rest of the users on that seed.

portforward.com is your friend: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

Old 2007-09-13, 01:27 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

Hi U2Lynne

Once again you are a fount of useful info. And once again a new question pops up. I don't know enough about being "firewalled" to know whether to take it
personally or not
(I'll have to read your material on "firewall" carefully.)
But, a question still remains.

My understanding is that the flag that you are firewalled is the color on your primary data, under "Welcome________"

When I was originally firewalled weeks ago, I had the special color plus, in that same color, "You may be firewalled".

But, I haven't had that color on my primary data for weeks now. I've got the normal color sequence blue/green/black for 5.51 GB/6.82 GB/ 1.24 GB.

So, it seems to me either I'm not firewalled, or the color scheme on primary data is wrong. And of course, it's probably the latter, since being firewalled explains my problems as you've pointed out. (thanks. )

So, then is there something to be done about this small matter (the color/flag for being firewalled) or am I still confused?

M

P.S. somewhere on some thread I found someone quotes you making a fabulous succinct retort to someone else, "..............pigfucker....!"

Apropos nothing, do you recall the original context for your dandy response?
Old 2007-09-13, 01:40 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you don't use just one port for torrenting, but instead a series of ports, and if you have not port forwarded (un-firewalled) all those ports, then some of the ports may remain firewalled. So, you may be firewalled on some torrents, but not on others. That isn't the case with you, I just checked. However, to find out if you really are firewalled are not, you should go to canyouseeme.org and put your port number in and see what it says. Sometimes the tracker lists you as a false positive (firewalled) when you really aren't. However, this has no effect on your bittorrent client since it will continually check for firewalling, but it doesn't tell our tracker what it finds out.

As for the quote, I believe it is something like "you wall-eyed apple-knocking pig sucker!" I was actually quoting freezer who then quoted me saying it in his sig.

Old 2007-09-13, 03:08 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
As for the quote, I believe it is something like "you wall-eyed apple-knocking pig sucker!" I was actually quoting freezer who then quoted me saying it in his sig.
We're still waiting for you to admit you been yelling that phrase out the window at other drivers .....

or at soccer games......

and I believe that this is the correct quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2007-09-13, 03:34 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
or at soccer games......
There are some parents I would really like to yell that at when I'm at the games, but my son has taught me to only cheer and not say anything else on the sidelines.

Old 2007-09-14, 12:25 PM
18.94 GB/19.89 GB/1.05

-Children, children! Play nice! .......Hey, you mean there really is a Freezer? .... ...Hey, I thought this was a private chat!! ........Yeah! I thought it was "pigfucker! ............

...gosh! I feel like I've just been inducted into a club. Hi guys.
And thanks again for the help!

One thing....

Hi Freezer!
Nice to meet you, but
....Here you are at Tradersden, but you neither upload nor download apparently.
Are you just here to help newbies like me?
To chat with hip traders like U2lynne?
No biggie (and certainly none of my business. )
But, I happened to notice the 0/0/0 stats next to your name , and was just wondering.

Thanks again guys.

M

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble