The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-23, 11:40 PM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Copying A DVD-R For A Trade.....

Hey, I know you all can help me like you have in the past. I downloaded & burned a show from this site that I now want to copy for someone. I put the DVD disc in the source drive & I put a blank DVD in the destination drive. I use Nero Express & click the copy entire DVD disc option. The source drive doesn't recognize the DVD disc that I made. I click on My Computer to see what's in that drive & it says Track1.cda is on the source disc. What the hell is a .cda file doing on my DVD disc when I burned DVD files on it?? How do I copy this disc for someone? Any help will do, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-24, 12:52 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Re: Copying A DVD-R For A Trade.....

You might try looking at it wth ISOBUSTER

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-04-24, 01:07 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

explore the disc and see what folders are/aren't there. if you can see the stuff you want to copy, drag it to a folder on your comp and burn from that.

hope this helps.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-04-24, 03:00 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Try using DVD-Devrypter to rip the DVD files (free), assuming they're there, to your HD. That way you know they'll stay in proper DVD format without any weirdness or corruption or wonkiness.
http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Don't know how you got that other file on there!

cda files on a dvd are bad mmmkay

Old 2005-04-24, 11:12 AM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

When I burned the DVD i dragged the files into the Video TS folder. My computer says there's only this Track01.cda file on the disc. The DVD works fine though in my DVD player. Where did the dvd files go that I burned? I shouldn't have to use DVD Decrypter any other program right? I should be able to just copy the disc with Nero. I did it once before. What the hell is a .cda file?
Old 2005-04-24, 11:20 AM
Too Big To Fail
47.12 GB/66.63 GB/1.41

.cda = cd audio
doesn't sound so good...
does the dvd play on a dvd player?
Old 2005-04-24, 11:29 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

when you burned the show to disc, i'm guessing, based on yer post, you burned as a DVD-Video and not a DVD "data disc" [ISO/UDF/etc...]?

when archiving shows for future trade/sharing, always back up to data disc, just like you do with Audio shows...

if it was burned as a DVD-Video [i.e. a disc that'll play on a standalone], you will have to extract it using DVD Decrypter or similar program [decrypter is the best in my opinion]...but if it was burned as a data disc--then i'm completely at a loss!!! as far as a DVD showing up in yyer explorer window as a .cda file, i have NEVER seen this occur before!

side note, it's best not to burn "on the fly" as you were attempting to do w/ Nero Express...this can present a ton of issues/glitches...definitely preferable to set up a folder on yer HD and put all the DVD files in it [.ifo, .bup, .vob]...then use Nero Burning ROM, select DVD-Video as yer project format, and drag all the files to the VIDEO_TS folder in the project...this will give you much better results...
Old 2005-04-24, 11:31 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I've got a couple of DVDs where I can't see anything on the DVD when I put it in my computer (a Mac). I can see the contents just fine on my PC though. It plays fine on my Mac and in my DVD player also. But, you said *you* burned this show to DVD, right? So, that probably has nothing to do with it.

A .cda file is an audio file. Take any of your CD and look at what the file extension is for the tracks and you will see it is .cda. We use programs, such as EAC, to extract those files to wav on our computers.

Old 2005-04-24, 12:17 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
when archiving shows for future trade/sharing, always back up to data disc, just like you do with Audio shows...
I just wanted to point out that burning as data doesn't mean you can't watch on your stand alone. Cuz when I first read AAR's post I thought he was saying not to burn it as something that would play on a stand alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
side note, it's best not to burn "on the fly" as you were attempting to do w/ Nero Express...this can present a ton of issues/glitches...definitely preferable to set up a folder on yer HD and put all the DVD files in it [.ifo, .bup, .vob]...then use Nero Burning ROM, select DVD-Video as yer project format, and drag all the files to the VIDEO_TS folder in the project...this will give you much better results...
Didn't you tell him not to burn as video?

Anyway, I think when copying a DVD that is small enough to fit on a DVD+/-R, I think it's best to make an image of it saved to your HD then burn that. That way if you have extra files on there you won't forget to grab them. For example, I always put my md5, txt and artwork outside the VIDEO_TS folder, so making an image is easier since it's a one step process for getting it onto your HD. If I ripped it with DVD Decrypter I wouldn't get the extra files included since it only rips the VIDEO_TS folder and I'd have to drag them over separately. DVD Decrypter can make an image very nicely, it really is a great program to have handy. You can also do it with Nero.

But basically, I think everyone is quite baffled as to how you got that cda file onto the DVD! You must've selected "video DVD" or you wouldn't have had the VIDEO_TS folder showing... weird.

Also, for a discussion on why Nero isn't the best program to burn DVDs with go here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ight=standards

Nutshell: Nero seems to change the IFO/BUP files when it burns, causing the md5 not to verify when checked on the disc or after it's ripped again.

Last edited by feralicious; 2005-04-24 at 12:22 PM.
Old 2005-04-24, 12:29 PM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Ok, Thanks for all your help. I think I've figured it out. My cd-rom drive is not recognizing the dvd files on the dvd, just the .cda file. I put the dvd in my dvd drive & BAM, it recognizes the dvd files. I upload the files to my HD & burn them on a blank DVD & there you go.....It works, I just tried it. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 2005-04-24, 12:53 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I've got a couple of DVDs where I can't see anything on the DVD when I put it in my computer (a Mac). I can see the contents just fine on my PC though. It plays fine on my Mac and in my DVD player also. But, you said *you* burned this show to DVD, right? So, that probably has nothing to do with it.

A .cda file is an audio file. Take any of your CD and look at what the file extension is for the tracks and you will see it is .cda. We use programs, such as EAC, to extract those files to wav on our computers.

ive also had that happen to, i always check all the dvds on my mac when i get them in the mail, a few i thought were unreadable untill i put them in my dvd plays and saw they were just fine. i guess its probally the mac dvd player, and the PC used to burnthem
Old 2005-04-24, 01:11 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingobah
Ok, Thanks for all your help. I think I've figured it out. My cd-rom drive is not recognizing the dvd files on the dvd, just the .cda file. I put the dvd in my dvd drive & BAM, it recognizes the dvd files. I upload the files to my HD & burn them on a blank DVD & there you go.....It works, I just tried it. Thanks everyone!!!
putting DVDs in CD-Rom drives is bad mmmkay

Old 2005-04-24, 01:54 PM
1.27 TB/1.33 TB/1.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
putting DVDs in CD-Rom drives is bad mmmkay
I just figured I could copy disc to disc without uploading the files to the HD, I guess not. Shouldn't the cd-rom drive play DVD's?
Old 2005-04-24, 01:58 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Nope. That's why they made DVD-Rom drives.

Old 2005-04-24, 07:09 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Didn't you tell him not to burn as video?
doh! i meant DVD-ISO, not DVD-video...

i guess i shouldn't post when on this little of sleep

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble