The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-14, 01:43 PM
58.43 GB/65.74 GB/1.13

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Do you have DHT turned off in Azurues? By default, it is on, so if you have done nothing about it, then it will be on. This hurts you because if someone else has DHT on, then they may connect to you using DHT and then all the data exchanged between the two of you will not be seen by the tracker at all. DHT is a way of talking to other clients by bypassing the tracker.

Quoted from this thread (dated 2006, but I think it's still valid): http://archief.retecool.com/forum/th...14344_0_20_0_C

Disabling DHT in Azureus
>Tools >Options >Connection >under "Peer Sources - Select the default permitted sources for peer connections" only check "From a tracker"
>Tools >Options >Plugins >Distributed DB >uncheck "Enable the distributed database"
>Tools >Options >Plugins >Distributed Tracker >uncheck "Only track normal torrents when their tracker is unavailable"
>Tools >Options >Sharing >check "Private torrent - only accept torrents from the tracker (This should automatically grey out and disable "Allow decentralized tracker when tracker is unavailable")
>Save >restart Azureus
You should see a red dot and "Disabled" on the bottom of the main Azureus window.
See the note under "Update" on this page.
Thanks U2Lynne for your help. The truth is I don't know If I have disabled DHT. Probably not if you say it's the default setting.

I can't even do what you suggested since my azureus programme shows everything in German.

Don't worry. It's not that much of a problem for me, anyway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-01-14, 02:18 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmyheart View Post
I can't even do what you suggested since my azureus programme shows everything in German.
You just made my lemonade go up my nose!

Here, this may help you: http://faq.vuze.com/?EntryID=122&View=entry

Old 2008-01-16, 11:01 AM
58.43 GB/65.74 GB/1.13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmyheart View Post
You just made my lemonade go up my nose!

Here, this may help you: http://faq.vuze.com/?EntryID=122&View=entry

But I'm German.

Really, it's no problem, I have almost reached a 1.0 share ratio again, anyway.

Thanks a lot for helping!
Old 2008-01-20, 10:10 PM
1.81 TB/2.83 TB/1.57

I appreciate the music/vids I have obtained at TTD and make every effort to keep my ratio up. Having read some (serious) suggestions here of which each has its merits hopefully to assist the moderators in addressing this issue. BUT . Just to throw a spanner in the works it poses the question of " how do we ban thoughtless seeders" (ie),""seeders"" who appear to be seeding but are not uploading or turning their torrent off or just clogging up the system by letting you get so far then closing off amongst other annoying habits (probably get their kicks by annoying/pissing people off) ive also noticed it is people with lower ratios and ethics IQs even. You seem to get to know the regulars/acceptable ratio members etc here and if I can seed/help in any way I will...however I feel that not only myself but others feel the same way in declining from assisting PPLZ ....might just make up my own blacklist of members ??? At the end of the day, its just about how each member goes about dealing with these issues....PS. the idea of access to certain levels for certain ratio (below 1:1) members seems to be the go..of course in consultation with the mods acces can be granted based solely on their merits to those below 1:1 and monitored ???. KEEP ON SHARING
Old 2008-02-11, 12:23 AM
All That Glitters, Ain't Gold!
779.23 GB/2.97 TB/3.91

My only thoughts are there should be some kind of leecher blocking method where you should say a few words of kindness to download anything. It keeps up those internet relationships.

A Few words of appreciation never go astray.
Old 2008-02-11, 11:26 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannanna View Post
I appreciate the music/vids I have obtained at TTD and make every effort to keep my ratio up. Having read some (serious) suggestions here of which each has its merits hopefully to assist the moderators in addressing this issue. BUT . Just to throw a spanner in the works it poses the question of " how do we ban thoughtless seeders" (ie),""seeders"" who appear to be seeding but are not uploading or turning their torrent off or just clogging up the system by letting you get so far then closing off amongst other annoying habits (probably get their kicks by annoying/pissing people off) ive also noticed it is people with lower ratios and ethics IQs even. You seem to get to know the regulars/acceptable ratio members etc here and if I can seed/help in any way I will...however I feel that not only myself but others feel the same way in declining from assisting PPLZ ....might just make up my own blacklist of members ??? At the end of the day, its just about how each member goes about dealing with these issues....PS. the idea of access to certain levels for certain ratio (below 1:1) members seems to be the go..of course in consultation with the mods acces can be granted based solely on their merits to those below 1:1 and monitored ???. KEEP ON SHARING
OMG.....lmao!!!

Torrent clients like Azureus will queue torrents until more seeders are needed....so why would you band those folks? If they hit n run all the time, that's a different story, and their ratio will show it. I'd say a time limit to allow them to get back their fair use ratio...even with a limited connection because vines/b&p's are still an option for sharing here...if they cannot comply within the time frame or they chose not to become visibly involved in the other options available...then yes, find the boot and give it a big swing.

Old 2008-02-11, 11:47 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

Re: Should we ban mindless leechers?

Quote:
The big problem is..... we aren't just a torrent site, like DIME. It would be easy to think of banning or limiting uploads for people with low ratios if all we were was a torrent site. But, what about those that download and then offer a Vine for every show they get? That is 'giving away' a whole show, kinda like uploading that amount to someone. Or, what about those that offer up a ton of B&Ps? The whole reason I added a list of Vines and B&Ps to a person's profile is so people can see if they offered them and then take that into consideration along with the ratio when they are asked to open a window.

These guys who have poor ratios and then come around asking for reseeds probably have a much lower chance of a reseed than someone who has a good ratio or someone who has also started Vines or offered B&Ps. Karma comes around to get them. Notice how that dudogger guy didn't even like the fact that we *show* ratios. He knows he is getting judged by it and doesn't like it (and may be embarrassed by it). I figure karma comes around to get these guys. Maybe not now, maybe not next week, but they will ask for a show to get reseeded and will have people ignore the request because of their ratio and lack of giving in other ways.
I guess this is what I was kinda thinking....it seems karma DOES have a way, even @ DaD, of getting the best of folks. I just turned a reseed request down @ DaD due to the requesters share ratio (up/down) stats.....and I let them know it.

sorry for post-whoring.....I couldn't help it.....

Last edited by Jetrell69; 2008-02-11 at 11:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old 2008-02-11, 12:16 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannanna View Post
People who ends ten-line paragraphs with six different smilies should be interdicted.
Old 2008-02-11, 03:13 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium View Post
People who ends ten-line paragraphs with six different smilies should be interdicted.
interdict ( ) tr.v. , -dicted , -dicting , -dicts . To prohibit or place under an ecclesiastical or legal sanction.

To use the usual definition, I think denying them a Christian burial is a bit harsh, just for extreme smilie use.

And that would be end, not ends.

And it's 7 smilies, not 6.

But who's counting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2008-02-11, 08:21 PM
All That Glitters, Ain't Gold!
779.23 GB/2.97 TB/3.91

As a friend to another I will try to be as nice as possible, but I was thinking that the idea to uploading torrents apart from sharing is to better your ratio, you also have upped almost twice as much as I have, I just cant work it out ?
Old 2008-02-11, 08:50 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

As a friend to another I will try to be as nice as possible, but I was thinking that the idea to uploading torrents apart from sharing is to better your ratio, you also have upped almost twice as much as I have, I just cant work it out ?[/quote]

Since we don't hang out, drink beers and stuff, and spin a couple of cassettes like we used to, the only way to share is at places like this. I'm sitting on 900 hrs of video that does nobody any good unless I share it. As I digitize my tape, I share with the people most likely to enjoy it and pass it on to others. I don't give a rat's ass about my ratio. Others apparently do. If the Traders Den enforces a ratio requirement, I'll stop seeding videos here and sit on torrents 24/7. In the end, we all have something to bring to the table here. Gotta go now, Pulled Pork Sandwiches are calling!
Old 2008-02-11, 10:28 PM
Blind Melon Follower
148.61 GB/138.79 GB/0.93

Quote:
The big problem is..... we aren't just a torrent site, like DIME. It would be easy to think of banning or limiting uploads for people with low ratios if all we were was a torrent site. But, what about those that download and then offer a Vine for every show they get? That is 'giving away' a whole show, kinda like uploading that amount to someone. Or, what about those that offer up a ton of B&Ps? The whole reason I added a list of Vines and B&Ps to a person's profile is so people can see if they offered them and then take that into consideration along with the ratio when they are asked to open a window.

These guys who have poor ratios and then come around asking for reseeds probably have a much lower chance of a reseed than someone who has a good ratio or someone who has also started Vines or offered B&Ps. Karma comes around to get them. Notice how that dudogger guy didn't even like the fact that we *show* ratios. He knows he is getting judged by it and doesn't like it (and may be embarrassed by it). I figure karma comes around to get these guys. Maybe not now, maybe not next week, but they will ask for a show to get reseeded and will have people ignore the request because of their ratio and lack of giving in other ways.

I think it's an all together bad idea. Not that my oppinion really matters. I'm working on my ratio now and can only upload at 40kbs a second so it takes time for people like me.

I DID however vote for an under .50 ratio ban, only if they can still upload.
And I only voted that incase someone decides they are going through with this, horrible horrible idea.

Every other bootlegg site pretty much does this, why do we have to?
Someone with a bad ratio doesn't quite mean they are bad traders.
There in lies the problem

P.s>
vladsmythe - we have never traded or anything but you upload some of the most kickass torrents.
I'm glad you came here from tapecity.........
It's people like you, who are offline traders as well as online that are the whole argument against ratio bans,
I would really hate to see you go man.

Just my $0.42,
TheBigLebowski

Last edited by ShutTheFuckUpDonny; 2008-02-11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2008-02-11, 10:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheFuckUpDonny View Post
Anybody can start a topic to get opinions. This thread is almost a year old. If you look at the results, about half say no banning. I think the poll is interesting just to see what people think. This site has been around for over three years with no share ratio enforcement. I think most people try to be conscientious and share in some way.

Old 2008-02-11, 11:38 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

I think it's an all together bad idea. Not that my oppinion really matters. I'm working on my ratio now and can only upload at 40kbs a second so it takes time for people like me.

I DID however vote for an under .50 ratio ban, only if they can still upload.
And I only voted that incase someone decides they are going through with this, horrible horrible idea.

P.s>
vladsmythe - we have never traded or anything but you upload some of the most kickass torrents.
I'm glad you came here from tapecity.........
It's people like you, who are offline traders as well as online that are the whole argument against ratio bans,
I would really hate to see you go man.

Just my $0.42,
TheBigLebowski[/quote]

That's real nice of you to say. I should mention that members at another site have gifted me 10 GB of ratio credit as a way to thank me for my efforts on my latest seed there.
I really appreciate that because it keeps me out of the fray of criticism that I encounter here, although I have never seen any personal attacks of any kind there. There is a wisdom in keeping the seeders happy - that their efforts are appreciated as well as essential. It's no skin off of the back of someone who has a 4.0 ratio to give some ratio credit to a .28 if the .28 is seeding something of value to that member. I know that with my .28 (which I have raised from .26 a month ago) I am a 2nd class citizen here and open to ridicule by many. I know that some elite people here have an "infinite" ratio, and get no criticism. I do know that "thank you" from members makes me want to hang out here and share my collection, and negative personal attacks from members and on occasion staff, makes me ill. Ultimately, the abilty to share ratio credit strengthens the community, without opening the ethics question with regard to "selling ratio". It encourages sharing and eliminates the caustic and corrosive negativity that rears it's ugly head much too often here.
Old 2008-02-12, 03:51 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i can only upload at 40k/s and have no problem keeping a decent ratio

and anyone who can doenload a TB can easily upload their fair share *if* they wanted to...period

anything else is just a poor excuse

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers