The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-20, 09:30 PM
Chairwoman of the Bored
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question Dudes!!!!!! HELP!!!!

Just tried to install software on my NEW computer - I have d/l tons of shows on my old one. Q: does a router screw up the ability to d/l from etree or here? I tried bit torrent, shadow, and I am screwed. I even opened up some ports 6881-6889.

What am I doing wrong? It was NEVER this hard. HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-20, 10:00 PM
Chairwoman of the Bored
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Dudes!!!!!! HELP!!!!

I have comcast broadband and a BELKIN Pre-N router # F5D8230-4
Old 2005-06-20, 10:08 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i wish i could help, but i'm not so savvy with the router issues...hopefully someone else can come along with more answers, but...
if you have Windows XP's internal firewall enabled, try disabling it [it gave me problems back in the day]...other than that, look up any of U2Lynne's posts and click on her "router config" link in her sig...that should help--hopefully...if not, sorry i couldn't be of more help...
Old 2005-06-20, 11:24 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I am still trying to figure out how to find the fowarding page so I can open the ports on my router. any help?
Old 2005-06-21, 01:15 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

try portforward.com

Lynne will probably drop by tomorrow with the answers, she knows this stuff best

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-06-21, 01:19 AM
Duck, Duck, Goose
57.06 GB/49.40 GB/0.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
try portforward.com

Lynne will probably drop by tomorrow with the answers, she knows this stuff best
that site is where it is at.
Old 2005-06-21, 01:23 AM
Duck, Duck, Goose
57.06 GB/49.40 GB/0.87

here is a link fdor the 7230, i did not see the 8230 listed. it should be pretty much the same tough, as it is pretty standard procedure for most routers. hope it helps. http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm
Old 2005-06-21, 01:29 AM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhydrogen
here is a link fdor the 7230, i did not see the 8230 listed. it should be pretty much the same tough, as it is pretty standard procedure for most routers. hope it helps. http://www.portforward.com/english/r...BitTorrent.htm

thanks, i'll give it a shot.

i have a Linksys router. directions tell me to go to advance and then fowarding, but i do not see the fowarding tab. that's where i am stuck.
Old 2005-06-21, 01:39 AM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

I figured out how to get to the linksys product i have and follow the instructions but it does not send me to the page with the tab for forwarding.
Old 2005-06-21, 10:00 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Kim (and others), when you have problems with forwarding your ports, it helps if we know your OS (because XP has it's own built-in firewall), your router and/or modem type, and your bittorrent client (because bittornado actually defaults to a wide range of ports for use (I think it was bittornado)). Also, some types people are set up for DHCP, which basically gives a different local IP to the computers on your home network based on when they are turned on. These are all factors we need to take a look at.

Kim, what OS and what bittorrent client are you using? You said you already forwarded the ports, is that just in your router? Can you do an ipconfig and get us your local IP (it will look something like 192.168.1.xxx).

Spursfan, which linksys router do you have? Which tabs are available under advanced? And then, what OS and what bittorrent client?

Old 2005-06-21, 01:08 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne

Spursfan, which linksys router do you have? Which tabs are available under advanced? And then, what OS and what bittorrent client?

WRT54G Wireless - G

Setup - Wireless - Security- Access Resolution - Application and Gaming - Administration - Status

Basic Setup - DDNS - MAC Address Clone - Advanced Routing

OS - Millinium

Bit Torrent Tornado
Old 2005-06-21, 01:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

It sounds like you need to go to Applications and Gaming to set it up. See this page on portforward.com

Old 2005-06-21, 01:48 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
It sounds like you need to go to Applications and Gaming to set it up. See this page on portforward.com
What a dumbass. I have been on that page most of the night and I never saw the Port Range Forwarding link. Thanks, I am going to shut it down and see if it works.
Old 2005-06-21, 03:15 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

The page on portforwarding.com are different than the website. I get to the port range forwarding but everything is different as far as where to put the numbers. I tried it and saved it, but then the numbers are cleared. I will try once againa nd see what happens.
Old 2005-06-21, 03:37 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I posted this link in the other thread, but I'll post it here also. If it's not the same as what you have, let us know. When a company updates their firmware, they sometimes change things around a little and that may be why things look different to you.
BTW, I know you said you were following U2Lynne's advise from this thread, so I won't reply to the other threads any longer. We should keep all further discussion for you in this thread. It can get confusing for all of us to try to remember who said what - where.

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10...e%20WRT54G.asp

The reason portforward.com might not have the "correct" info is because Linksys is constantly updating/changing firmware to address security and other issues. I'm sure it's the same for other routers on that site too. It would take a lot of time to keep track of all of the hardware/software updates that they give help for.

EDIT: If you're still having problems after looking at the link to Linksys that I posted, if possible, take a screenshot of the port forwarding settings page and it'll make it easier for us to help you. If not possible, no worries - we'll get it eventually.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble