The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-09-01, 07:23 PM
PAIRUSTWO
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

What is the .cue file for

I'm such a noob that I haven't even finished downloading my first show.
I've never seen a .shn file before but I understand that they are a lossless compression format of .wav files and can be un-compressed and burned to cd or played via winamp, foobar or what ever.

I do wonder, however, what is the .cue sheet for? How do I use it. I am only used to seeing it in tandem with a binary file.

I can't seem to figure this out by browsing the archives or this forum.
thanks.
Pairustwo
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-09-01, 07:55 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Re: What is the .cue file for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet

Just used to make burning a CD easier. It's quite beneficial when dealing with commercially released CDs, as you can duplicate exactly where the gaps are. As far as I know, it is the only way to add CD-TEXT to a disc.

Does anyone know of a good program to create .cue files? It's a pain to create them manually.
Old 2005-09-01, 11:20 PM
PAIRUSTWO
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Does anyone know of a good program to create .cue files? It's a pain to create them manually.
Well, at the bottom of the excellent wikipedia link you provided there was this:
www.stutenandy.de/cue.php?lang=en
Its not fully automated but it seems like it does the grunt work at least.

Thanks by the way. I was confused because the set I'm downloading is already seperate tracks. I guess the cue sheet is included to get all of the track titles onto the CD as .shn files have no tag information.

pairustwo
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-09-05, 01:09 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

For music trading the cue file is generally used for burning with EAC (Exact Audio Copy). There's links to this and a tutorial in the FAQ. I don't know if it can be used with other burning programs or not since I use EAC to burn any audio cds I make.

If you load the cue sheet in EAC it will list all the tracks as they are named in the cue file and the names will be burned on the CD as wel as whatever the cue sheet tells it is the name, artist etc...

You can easily make one using EAC as well. Just go to Tools>write cd-r. Watch out though, when you drag the wavs over in Windows they tend to invert the first and last tracks. So you need to move them into the correct positions. You can check by looking at the bottom window which retains the file names as they are. Then to change the track names, go in the top window and click on "Track 01" and rename it to what you like and continue until you have it how you want it.

To put in the artist and CD title info go to Layout > Edit CD Information (once you're already in "write cd-r" mode and fill in what you like.

Then to save the cue sheet go to File > Save CUE Sheet. If you archive your shows in flac/shn save this with it.

Old 2005-09-05, 02:31 PM
listen to k.h.b.r.
47.27 GB/45.18 GB/0.96

Question Re: What is the .cue file for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
It's quite beneficial when dealing with commercially released CDs, as you can duplicate exactly where the gaps are. As far as I know, it is the only way to add CD-TEXT to a disc.
Does anyone know of a program that can make a .cue sheet directly from a CD? It would be useful for backing up commercial CDs because it could (as Gizby says) reproduce the gap and tracking info. I'm thinking of CDs which have some tracks that segue into each other and some with gaps.

Old 2005-09-05, 04:38 PM
56.17 GB/77.80 GB/1.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin_carrot
Does anyone know of a program that can make a .cue sheet directly from a CD? It would be useful for backing up commercial CDs because it could (as Gizby says) reproduce the gap and tracking info. I'm thinking of CDs which have some tracks that segue into each other and some with gaps.
EAC

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble