The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-01-19, 06:13 PM
Long Distance Runner
1.32 TB/2.12 TB/1.61

Re: tape transferring

Five... I trust your opinion and so do a lot of us here at TTD. The real comparison would be to do two transfers... one xsfer in 24/96 and another xsfer 16/44. Then, I would suggest comparing the 24/96 with the downsampled version. And then compare those with the 16/44. I realize that many of us can't playback 24/96 today... but the tapes are getting old in some cases. How long before we all listen and share 24/96? I feel more comfortable archiving 24/96 on my aging masters. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-01-19, 07:40 PM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

I can do that Five, no problem. Tomorrow when I get to work, I''ll do a partial tune and we can compare.

I'm still not saying every example will sound "better", but I would rather add a little "good" noise than take the chance of quantization errors. To me it just feels like a nominal difference thats worth it's weight.
Old 2009-01-19, 08:57 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

thanks! I used to preach the gospel of dither until a friend of mine told me to stop using it... I thought he was crazy until I tried it for myself. maybe I was using a bad setting or something. looking forward to checking out your post

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-01-19, 09:00 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

I'd have to open SF to get the exact wording, but there are different types of dithering. Some better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2009-01-19, 09:52 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicada View Post
Five... I trust your opinion and so do a lot of us here at TTD. The real comparison would be to do two transfers... one xsfer in 24/96 and another xsfer 16/44. Then, I would suggest comparing the 24/96 with the downsampled version. And then compare those with the 16/44. I realize that many of us can't playback 24/96 today... but the tapes are getting old in some cases. How long before we all listen and share 24/96? I feel more comfortable archiving 24/96 on my aging masters. What is your opinion?
thank you kindly

I think you have the right idea. Archiving at 24/96 is the best digital quality we can achieve at this time, altho its been said that korg 1bit technology is beyond all that and who knows what's coming up in the future. Another possibility would be archiving to 30ips half-track analog (!!) since that is as transparent as an analog generation can get and keeps digital right out of it. You always lose something when you convert analog to digital, the copy is close but not quite the same as listening right off the analog master.

Personally, I archive at 16bit/44.1 or 24bit/44.1 and keep the analog tapes in a cool, dry place. And on special occasions (5+ years or so) I pull out the original masters and give them a spin at full volume--that's what they're for!! I guess I would archive at 24/96 if I was better at keeping track of my digital stuff.

Never playing the masters is like restraining yourself from having enthusiastic sex with your wife for fear of wearing out her you-know-what, then one day you wake up and you're both 80+ years old and her you-know-what isn't anything you'd want to wear out anymore anyways. does that make sense? (did I really just say that? )

anyhow its a personal decision & there's lots of good info in this thread to make it an educated decision

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-01-20, 02:39 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Well, to continue the analogy, if your enthusiasm actually wore out her you-know-what every time you participated, I'm sure you'd take more care.

That's the situation we're in with a lot of tape masters - to play them is to actually find the oxide dropping off the tape, leaving the master in a worse state than before. So in my case, the older reel-to-reels get played when they're getting transferred, and at no other time.

Archive to 30ips reel-to-reel ???? Have you SEEN the cost of reel-to-reel tape recently?
Old 2009-01-20, 09:17 AM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

I couldn't get the attachments to stick so heres a link to external download.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/W...QzNtUUdGa1E9PQ

This source started as 24/48. I used r8brain pro to do the src to 24/44.1, then I used Izotope ozone 3 to dither with the mbit + option down to 16. the other was simply saved with no dither as a 16/44.1 in my editing software. See what you think.
Old 2009-01-20, 02:25 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.81 TB/9.59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
analog master.

Never playing the masters is like restraining yourself from having enthusiastic sex with your wife for fear of wearing out her you-know-what...
yeah, that kind of stuff should definitely be saved for the mistress.
Old 2009-01-20, 07:49 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

Quote:
If you cannot set wavlab exactly to 24bit for capture use audacity.
Ah. I've done this in the past. Make sure that you lots and lots of space allocated to audacity when you do this. With me it froze up a good few times. There is nothing worse then being half way though a transfer and the whole thing collapses.
Old 2009-01-21, 04:42 AM
42.56 GB/40.83 GB/0.96

Thanks so far for all of your comments and sharing your opinions on the best way to capture the audio files. I guess the safest way would be to make a 24/96 transfer to start with. I have some master recordings that I’ll have to restore to the original taper in matter of time, so I guess making a 24/96 would be the safest solution because I won’t be able to retransfer it after a few years (when maybe 16/48, or any other capturing mode, would be old fashion)
Which programs are preferred for the down sampling, so I’ll be able to share those recordings? I’ve got wavelab 5 and audition 3 on my pc so far, but I saw zeek mentioning some other programs as well.
I’ve got a last question on adjusting the azimuth. I’ve got my cassette deck hooked up into my soundcard and I’ve got my soundcard hooked up into my amp. Would you prefer to directly adjusting the azimuth on the amp (leaving the soundcard out) or won’t it make much difference? I guess going directly to the amp would be the best.
Old 2009-01-21, 05:35 AM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

Do you maen listening through the amp to adjust the azimuth? I always go straight into the tape deck headphone jack to adjust azimuth. I don't know that it matters a ton if you have accurate playback and a good ear, but I like to go straight to the component I'm dealing with.

For ease and consistant quality. I would use r8brain free(link above). It dithers and does src in one fell swoop. Izotope ozone 3 (if you have it for wavelab) is also a really good option using the mbit + setting, but it's not free. The src and dither options that come with wavelab are pretty lame for current standards and will give you sub par results compared to the two mentioned above imo.

Good luck.
Old 2009-01-21, 06:24 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Seconded - headphones on the cassette deck to adjust stuff
Old 2009-01-21, 08:07 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Archiving at 24/96 is the best digital quality we can achieve at this time, altho its been said that korg 1bit technology is beyond all that and who knows what's coming up in the future.
uh Five, aren't you forgetting about 24/192 ?

i've been curious about that 1Bit technology for the past year...if you know anyone using it, PM me...i'd be interested in hearing their take on it...just waitin on them to drop a 4ch recorder and i'll be lookin to upgrade
Old 2009-01-21, 08:48 AM
73.33 GB/168.99 GB/2.30

It is not at least for pcm audio. The reason being is this once you go above 96000kHz samplerate all the soundcards that can do higher add noise into the signal. Each card is different on the how, where and how much but to my knowledge none of them can sample without adding extraneous noise into the signal at 192. There is a reason why high end stuff like pro tools doesn't support 192 samplerates. You also have the law of diminishing returns kicking in at this point since the there is no perceptable difference when listening to something at 96 or 192. It maybe a more accurate reproduction of the original analog signal but the trade off is double the filesize with no audible advantage. If you want higher than 96 then the way to go is dsd encoding like what is used for sacd.
Old 2009-01-21, 09:16 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

werd, i'm not saying to use 192, just makin a crack at my buddy Five...i honestly feel even 24/96 is overkill for non-studio ish, but to each there own...

like you said, DSD and other 1-bit formats seem to be the future of digi recording, at least at the moment...we'll have to wait and see but its still digi--i'd be luggin 2in reel-to-reel to tape shows if i could afford it!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble