The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-18, 01:04 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

BT Speeds all-of-a-sudden suck

So...more of the same BT firewalling voodoo maybe? I just recently upgraded a few components in the Windows update, I'm running XP Pro SP2. I'm not sure if that's what caused it, but all of a sudden I am unable to get any reasonable speeds in Azureus or BitTornado or even connect to many of the peers. I am getting green lights, but I am only able to get connected to 2-3 peers, though my max is set to 40.

The problem has been on multiple trackers, include TTD, EZT, Etree, SuprNova, and a few other lesser-known ones.

So...is there something in the newest XP update patches that could be doing this, or maybe is my ISP doing something to cap my speeds. Normal web-browsing and usenet downloading still screams, but the BTs are dreadful.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-18, 01:25 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Re: BT Speeds all-of-a-sudden suck

I'm also running XP PRO SP2 and have had absolutely no problems with speed or connection changes on any tracker i have used. I am using the latest version of Torrentstorm for a client.......which windows updates did you install?
Old 2004-12-18, 01:29 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Interestingly, as I look at it through the EZT window, it says that I've been idle for the same amount of time that I've been connected to the torrent? What does that even mean? I jsut can't figure this one out, but I know that SOMETHING is screwy.

You can clearly see I'm connected to quite a few peers, but none of them are getting any speed at all; this is quite rare for me, as I usually have a very fast connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az.jpg
( 91.2 KB, 226 views)

What's never been,
Old 2004-12-18, 01:40 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I'm not sure what I installed. Somehow XP just started downloading stuff...it doesn't really tell you what it's doing. I'm not sure how to go back and check exactly what has been done to my system.
What's never been,
Old 2004-12-18, 02:07 PM
35.58 GB/62.83 GB/1.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
I'm not sure what I installed. Somehow XP just started downloading stuff...it doesn't really tell you what it's doing. I'm not sure how to go back and check exactly what has been done to my system.
Go to Windows Update either via this link or probably better off via your Start Menu. Sadly it'll probably want you to use IE but we all have to make sacrifices sometimes . Anyway, on the menu bar on the left you should see the option to View Installation History.

Yesteray I installed some updates which are shown to be the following:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836) Successful 17 December 2004 Automatic Updates
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339) Successful 17 December 2004 Automatic Updates
Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185) Successful 17 December 2004 Automatic Updates
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835) Successful 17 December 2004 Automatic Updates

These are the only updates I've had since the SP2 set, and it claims all of these are uninstallable via Add/Remove Programs if required. Anything you recently downloaded/installed is probably worth looking into. I'm pretty sure none of these have caused me a problem, though I'm running on XP Home which could make a difference (but is probably unlikely). I just jumped on the most seeded torrent on EZT, connected to about 20 seeds and got (steady) speeds of up to 80kB/s, which on a connection that can handle 180kB/s isn't as fast as it could be, but is fairly normal for a good torrent who's seeders are probably doing other things with their connections. Certainly nothing like the problems you're having anyway.

That's about all I can offer I think. Hope the Windows Update info at least provides an avenue of research
Old 2004-12-18, 02:11 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

well, RainDawg, I've encountered the exact same problem the last 2 weeks or so. The occasional torrent goes at "normal" speed, but most are slow, and my upload speeds are totally crap all the time. I've checked and re-checked the ports, so it it either something hidden, or my ISP is choking me. Frustrating as hell.
Old 2004-12-18, 02:41 PM
41.09 GB/29.31 GB/0.71

Windows SP2 does a couple of things that might affect your torrent client. First, it enables Windows Firewall by default, regardless of what you may have selected previously. Turn it off again, if necessary. Second, you might try reinstalling your client so its installation dates after the SP2 installation.
Old 2004-12-18, 03:07 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

thanks, Jason. I'll give that a try. Also, on your site, the DD's used to regularly download between 600 and 800 kb/s, now I am only getting 250 - 300
Old 2004-12-18, 03:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You know, I started having problems with speeds and firewall issues with the last upgrade of Azureus. I finally had to ditch it and now just use bittorrent (I'm talking about on my Mac). I could never get anything other than a Yellow smilie (only connecting to local peers), I was getting really low speeds, and I suddenly could not connect to any torrents over at EZT (still can't with Azureus). I switched clients and I'm getting local and remote peers, much improved speeds, and I can connect to EZT.

Old 2004-12-18, 03:45 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Hmm...turning off my router for a little while seems to have solved it. Usually when it craps out, I can't get any connection at all. This time, I had really slow connection for a few days, so didn't even think to check the obvious . As far as I can tell, just shutting it down for 10 minutes and bringing it back up fixed everything.
What's never been,
Old 2004-12-18, 04:01 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
You know, I started having problems with speeds and firewall issues with the last upgrade of Azureus. I finally had to ditch it and now just use bittorrent (I'm talking about on my Mac). I could never get anything other than a Yellow smilie (only connecting to local peers), I was getting really low speeds, and I suddenly could not connect to any torrents over at EZT (still can't with Azureus). I switched clients and I'm getting local and remote peers, much improved speeds, and I can connect to EZT.
I have the latest Azureus on my Mac with no problems. It updated on here from an earlier version. OS X 10.2.6

Old 2004-12-18, 04:13 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I have the latest Azureus on my Mac with no problems. It updated on here from an earlier version. OS X 10.2.6
I know. I'm the only one I know with this problem. :/ But, as I said, I changed clients and I'm totally fine. I just haven't really had a chance to go trouble-shoot it. I should just uninstall it and reinstall it.

(I'm running 10.3.7, so that is one difference between our systems. Maybe it's a Panther thing?)

Old 2004-12-18, 04:42 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Ahh...BitTorrent truly is voodoo sometimes....
What's never been,
Old 2004-12-19, 02:20 AM
TTD VIP
209.70 GB/9.80 TB/47.87

well when I bought a new computer installed xp,zonealarm pro firewall
and abc bittorrent client and started to d/l and I soon realised that the speed never went over 120 kB/S
it dosen't matter if I UL or DL it's the same ..it seems like 120 kBs is the limit
with my old computer I got speed up to 150-160 farily often
not all the time but still sometimes tho
with my new computer that has never happend.... it's simply refuse to go over
120 kBs....I don't have a router only zonealarm ...closed xp's firewall
the only big diffrence between my new and old puter is xp
I had windows me on my old one..any tips is most welcomed
because this irretate me
Old 2004-12-19, 11:07 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Gremlin, you need to forward your ports through the XP firewall, I believe.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble