The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-15, 05:50 PM
139.77 GB/574.87 GB/4.11

Inexpensive CD/DVD burning programs?

I just got a new computer that has a DVD burner and I am wondering if there are any inexpensive or free reliable burner programs that will work with Vista on my new machine. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-15, 07:16 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Inexpensive CD/DVD burning programs?

ONES is the only way to go imo...used nero for years until one of the other mods told me about it...best $25 you could spend on a program, and there's a 30-day trial if you want to try it out before buying

http://shop.tx-software.com/boutique...&code_lg=lg_us

additional reviews/info:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Prassi_ONES
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd...rassi_ones.cfm
Old 2007-05-15, 09:58 PM
139.77 GB/574.87 GB/4.11

Looks promising. I will give the trial a try. Thanks!
Old 2007-05-16, 03:42 AM
143.47 GB/1.02 TB/7.31

Here is a couple links for Nero 7,
this was just posted on slickdeals for $6 I have never order from them
http://www.acortech.com/Nero_7.0_Ess...d-3217556.html

This site has the software for $12, signup for the mail list and they usually has special for free shipping. Once in a while the will have this software for $.99.
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.a...5&C=283&S=1246
Old 2007-05-16, 01:00 PM
1.07 TB/1.15 TB/1.08

Listen to Aaron.... Ones is the way to go.
You must be one of those conniving jews, or an ebonics talking black. Or, worse yet, a black jew. Only sellin' your crack to other jews. And when you do sell to others, you give a 10 dollar piece for 20 dollars.
The NEW list.... Festafarian.com

I do B&Ps

myspace.com/festafarian

Ziggy's
Old 2007-05-16, 01:21 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

From the Ones site

---------------------------

ONES Version 2.1
ONES has been designed to meet the needs of both beginners and experienced users alike, thanks to its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
ONES is different from other CD/DVD burning software as it uses an innovative new recording technology which means that it can function with any existing or future CD/DVD recorder. Updates are no longer necessary.

then it says

Download update Version 2.1.358 (Update of the burning engine).

Never tried it ,probably never will(don't fix what ain't broke attitude)..but you gotta love that for promotion

K_K
Old 2007-05-16, 01:45 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I love ONES.
Old 2007-05-16, 04:24 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
From the Ones site

---------------------------

ONES Version 2.1
ONES has been designed to meet the needs of both beginners and experienced users alike, thanks to its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
ONES is different from other CD/DVD burning software as it uses an innovative new recording technology which means that it can function with any existing or future CD/DVD recorder. Updates are no longer necessary.

then it says

Download update Version 2.1.358 (Update of the burning engine).

Never tried it ,probably never will(don't fix what ain't broke attitude)..but you gotta love that for promotion

K_K
i'm pretty sure they meant no firmware updates are needed, not prog updates...but funny none the less

and seriously you should try it K_K, great program and way more accurate than Nero, etc...hell, i'm considering running Parallels/Windows on the Mac just so i can use it and TLH
Old 2007-05-16, 05:14 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
... great program and way more accurate than Nero,....
AAR-Can you expand on your statement more? I've researched ONES previously and wasn't really blown away by the reading I did. It burns discs and some other tricks that seem to be _mostly_ similar to other burning apps. I mean, even the reviews I've read on it basically gave it a thumbs up, but no mention of a "WOW! Look what this does different!"
I've used Nero along with some other programs to burn (depends on what it is), and although some people tend to complain about Nero being "picky," personally I _like_ that! I would rather have a program tell me if a DVD was not created by book standard than not. It's extremely frustrating when I see torrents where people complain about Nero giving them a legitimate error flag, then see a dozen replies on "how to work around" it. Hello people!, the program is trying to tell you something there! ...so now you have people hacking little fixes...and then trading these discs to others to trade...
Sorry for the rant....but seriously, I've never seen it mentioned that ONES has any type of verification/authentication built into it that's more robust than other apps, so I'm wondering what you're getting at.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:06 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
AAR-Can you expand on your statement more? I've researched ONES previously and wasn't really blown away by the reading I did. It burns discs and some other tricks that seem to be _mostly_ similar to other burning apps. I mean, even the reviews I've read on it basically gave it a thumbs up, but no mention of a "WOW! Look what this does different!"
I've used Nero along with some other programs to burn (depends on what it is), and although some people tend to complain about Nero being "picky," personally I _like_ that! I would rather have a program tell me if a DVD was not created by book standard than not. It's extremely frustrating when I see torrents where people complain about Nero giving them a legitimate error flag, then see a dozen replies on "how to work around" it. Hello people!, the program is trying to tell you something there! ...so now you have people hacking little fixes...and then trading these discs to others to trade...
Sorry for the rant....but seriously, I've never seen it mentioned that ONES has any type of verification/authentication built into it that's more robust than other apps, so I'm wondering what you're getting at.
what made Nero great (5 years ago) was it used to be a small app that handled multiple file structures well.

Now its a 400MB install pig - that even tries to interface with my smart phone sync - thats when I said enough!

ONES takes it all back to the KISS ideology.
its a 1.6MB install and does everything without chewing up your resources.

I also noticed (in my recent switch) that the swap file / burn scheme is quicker and handles DVD authoring inconsistencies ( read: different author progs) very well.

2cents
Old 2007-05-16, 07:44 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

...In addition, ONES makes an EXACT copy of the source everytime [no matter which burn method chosen (Data Mastering, Record VIDEO_TS, Disc Copy)], unlike nero which consistently alters the VIDEO_TS ifo & bup files.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:47 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Well then,...MP3's are MUCH smaller than FLAC files so they must be better right?
(I'll save any other comments as I need the extra time to run and hide now before the arrows fly!)

Ahhhh,...nah, I'll hang around for a minute for some comments.
I understand the bloatware irritation, but geez,...the smallest storage I have on any of my computers is somewhere around 300Gig. A couple extra megs doesn't mean squat to me anymore....if I need the room that much, I'll use Nlite to strip down an XP OS install.
As far as inconsistencies...that's what I mentioned before. Sadly some authoring programs don't follow the book standards as well as they should which is why Nero blows a fuse. It's funny, but before I saddled up with a newer DVD player, my old player would usually have problems with the same discs that Nero would flag. That kinda tells me that somewhere, there's some DVD authoring proggies (I ain't naming names) that don't do what they're supposed to do,....correctly.
By the way, have you ever looked up Nero Lite or Nero Micro? Not as small as ONES, but back the the basics thinking behind it.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:53 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

i didnt read your post - only scanned it.
from all those words.. I saw one question: why ONES?

yes i understand most traders have large hard drives - its not about storage.
Do you use utorrent or that java based one ? same answer / same question.

you have my 2cents - do what you wish with it

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2007-05-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 2007-05-16, 08:14 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

^^addendum

the VBT Mod recommends it. ' nuff said.
Old 2007-05-17, 02:41 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

To burn video DVD's, I use Nero Express. If I want to make a copy at a later date, I extract with DVD Decrypter, which makes an exact copy of all the data. This has always resulted in a perfect burn and then perfect rip for me (not sayin' ONES isn't great)

If you absolutely must burn audio CD's right away and have no cash, Exact Audio Copy is a great free program to use. It is also the best program available for Windows to copy audio CD's to your hard drive. Don't know if it works with Vista though.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble