The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-28, 03:02 PM
170.61 GB/175.36 GB/1.03

Error message on Purple Chick AB torrent

Hello. When I try to download the Beatles A/B Get Back Sessions I immediately get the following error message:

"AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches" : IO Error [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Jerry\\AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches\\AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches\\Jan.08 - D3-46 - Malague?.115.flac'

What does this mean and how to I get around it??? I should mention that right before I get this error message I got a "warning" message that the torrent had been created with errors...blah, blah, blah...and it asked me if I wanted to continue, to which I said yes.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-28, 03:53 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Error message on Purple Chick AB torrent

From our FAQ:

Problem getting response info - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: "C:\\Documents and Sett..."
For some reason, Internet Explorer sometimes doesn't save the torrent file in the Temporary Internet Files directory properly. The solution seems to be to right click on the link and choose Save As..., and save the torrent file to disk, and then double-click the file to launch the client. Clearing the IE cache seems to help if this problem is recurring. It seems to be related to torrent files with square brackets (']' and '[') in the filename.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...aq_getaddrinco

Old 2007-05-28, 04:01 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

This file also has accent charater in the name

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-05-28, 04:05 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

what os cant deal w/ specialty characters these days? im not trying to flame, just curious?

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2007-05-28, 04:18 PM
170.61 GB/175.36 GB/1.03

Well...not sure if it's the specialty character or what. I'm operating under windows XP through Mozilla Firebird. I've downloaded many torrents before with no trouble so this seems to be torrent specific. I'm not real techno-saavy ... more music-saavy, so I am easily perplexed by the nuances of computer language glitches. I've tried what U2Lynne has suggested from the FAQ archives and I'm still unable to download this torrent. I appreciate the fact that you have responded to my question...but any more ideas??? I'm stuck! Can I change the file ... for instance by removing the accent character? Help.
Old 2007-05-28, 04:26 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

well, if the file downloads, but is renamed... "Jan.08 - D3-46 - Malague?.115.flac" or "Jan.08 - D3-46 - Malague?a.115.flac" or something similar, i would assume all you would need to do is rename it? or test the file's ability to extract. a simple name change due to one's operating system shouldnt corrupt the file.

i am perplexed as to why xp would struggle w/ that filename. perhaps it is your bittorrent client?

Quote:
Old 2007-05-28, 04:51 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
what os cant deal w/ specialty characters these days? im not trying to flame, just curious?
It's more that certain bittorrent clients can't deal with certain characters.

I'm a bit confused at the moment... is it the torrent file itself you can't download, or the files in the torrent?

Old 2007-05-28, 06:49 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

files within the torrent

Quote:
Old 2007-05-28, 06:53 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
files within the torrent
Oh duh! Now I see where you guys came up with the file name stuff.

I know that Azureus is fine with weird characters in file names and I'm pretty sure uTorrent is also. Perhaps you should try one of those clients?

Old 2007-05-28, 06:54 PM
170.61 GB/175.36 GB/1.03

I use Bit Torrent and it seems to work okay when it comes to downloading other torrents, both here and at Dimeadozen. I once had a minor problem on a particular torrent which involved going in and changing a number in the name of the file...but that was some time ago and only seemed to apply to that one download. I am unable to download ANY of the torrent file itself. Once I click on the torrent, save it on my computer, then click on it again to begin the download I immediately get the following message:

"AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches" : This .torrent file has been created with a broken tool and has incorrectly encoded filenames. Some or all of the filenames may appear different from what the creator of the .torrent file intended.

I have no idea what that really means, except that lots of other folks have downloaded this file, so I close that error message and continue. Then I get the following message:

"AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches" : IO Error [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Jerry\\AB Road - Complete Purple Chick Set v1.1 with patches\\Jan.08 - D3-46 - Malague?.115.flac'

So, as you can see, I never even get to the point where I begin to download any files.

Old 2007-05-28, 06:58 PM
170.61 GB/175.36 GB/1.03

Okay, Trusthex...I guess I am downloading the torrent but have problems when I begin to download the files??? See what I mean....I'm not really too "sharp" when it comes to what's really technically going on here. Just know that when it works it's great!!

Maybe it's time to get another torrent server? But, geezzz, BitTorrent has usually worked just fine.....
Old 2007-05-28, 06:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

When I use Azureus, there have been a few times when I click on a torrent and it asks me what type of encoding to use, so I select something (I can't remember if it has recommendations) and it downloads just fine. Maybe bittorrent can't deal with that character set and so it pukes over the whole thing.

Have you ever tried uTorrent? It is the more used client here on TTD (not sure about other sites). However, bittorrent is also used a bit and I haven't heard of other people having problems downloading that torrent. (But, I didn't download it and I have not kept up with the thread... have you read the thread to see if others have mentioned any problems downloading the show?)

Old 2007-05-28, 07:10 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
funny you should mention this because I was a little perplexed myself by something.
I grabbed the torrent file on my win2k machine to see if bittornado had any problem, it did not. So I looked at the filename in the error and saw the special character. I copied and pasted it in the reply it lost the special character so I had to do a sreencap

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-05-28, 07:14 PM
170.61 GB/175.36 GB/1.03

Well...I just grabbed UTorrent off the internet and tried to download Purple Chick's torrent and guess what....it is now working. Go figure. Guess change is good. Thanks for spending the afternoon with me on this. It now seems to be working (using UTorrent).
Old 2007-05-28, 07:27 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

so, you were using the official bittorrent client before? or which client, because you have now piqued my interest.

fyi diggrd - i used shadows to dl the purple chick ok... handled everything ive ever thrown at it... although i guess its called bittornado now... erm, im oldskool (2k here too)

Quote:

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble