The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-05-17, 10:46 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Is there an explicit ratio policy here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Research, Spe, research.

This thread was 'bumped' because of another thread.
Oh okay. I really couldn't understand all the hatred.
Probably not worth my time to look for it then.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-18, 03:44 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

If you feel some sort of ratio enforcement should happen for the ubers ,do what i've started doing chaps........some probably noticed during the seeding of KKDvD050.

I wait till theres say 50-75 hooked on.Then i quickly run through the members leeching & check the ratios/info.
Anyone who was just a plain obvious uber got noted and with the right torrent client and a bit of savvy you can work out what ip tallys.

That goes onto a list.txt

When i'm done...that list goes into peerguardian2

They will end up with the file i know ,but at least the "propers" get it 1st and the ubers can't "brake" the seeding.

Fooking funny seeing them turn up to the thread ...you know they're trying to figure out something.
They do drop down the list.
You see all the non-firewalled and members who know the game rising and the file gets seeded quicker.

So.....
anyone wanting my files who has a ratio of .30 or less, is just a plain uber & has offered nowt to the community,i wouldn't bother getting on until it's seeded.

Let the big boys go 1st eh!!

K_K
Old 2007-05-18, 09:46 AM
Drunk
91.38 GB/197.35 GB/2.16

hehehe, good one KK
I do the same thing, but I go about it comlpetely oposite of what you explained:

When seeding, I like to find 3 or 4 of those users who are uploading the fastest & add them to 'trusted IPs'

then set firewall to 'tight security' which blocks everyone who isn't trusted

end result is the same--those who share well get the goods first
Old 2007-05-18, 01:56 PM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

thanx for that KK...it's not even a matter of bashing the ratio whores, the real bother to me is those who take first and drop off w/o sharing, and also those who hop on late and beg for help when they've never helped anyone...I don't care if they get stuff, but I want the right folks to get priority, and the uberleechers can have what's left...like you said, let the big boys go first...not only, but just first (and foremost)

I've had issues where I've seeded for days to get folks completed and the first few over the hump drop off and continue to leave me holding the bag...you don't really "owe" me anything, but is it not common courtesy to help others enjoy what you just completed...don't you feel at least a little responsible for those who are stranded or struggling with pathetic speeds??? I've waited for days to get things crawling in at less than 5k...every k is important, especially when they are the only k's available for the torrent (i.e. new ones, first ones to complete, or dying torrents) so that argument is worthless to me...some guy w/15k stuck around forever to get me a dying torrent...his ratio wasn't so good, but the upload he spent was spent where it would be most valuable...so really I guess we should all just think more about the other guy, and less about ourselves...it has nothing to do with ability...it's not about ratios as much as about character...the kinds of folks who couldn't care less about the others in the community by hit and running all the time are problematic...it's true that many good folks have bad ratios, and it's also true that a strict ratio policy would allow some assholes who oughta go to be allowed to stay, while some folks who shouldn't get the boot may get booted, so it's a sticky wicket to be certain, but I would hope there is some kind of limit to U2Lynnes kindness to those who don't deserve it...hopefully she is willing to remove those who truly abuse the site...maybe not on a ratio policy or anything, but I expect she knows an uberdouche when she sees (hears/reads) one and hopefully she will prune those who don't belong here...it's all about courtesy and respect for others...ratios are but one aspect of a members character...but usually those who fall into the asshole category usually find themselves in the shitty ratio category too...coincidence
Old 2007-05-18, 02:09 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
If you feel some sort of ratio enforcement should happen for the ubers ,do what i've started doing chaps........some probably noticed during the seeding of KKDvD050.

I wait till theres say 50-75 hooked on.Then i quickly run through the members leeching & check the ratios/info.
Anyone who was just a plain obvious uber got noted and with the right torrent client and a bit of savvy you can work out what ip tallys.

That goes onto a list.txt

When i'm done...that list goes into peerguardian2

They will end up with the file i know ,but at least the "propers" get it 1st and the ubers can't "brake" the seeding.

Fooking funny seeing them turn up to the thread ...you know they're trying to figure out something.
They do drop down the list.
You see all the non-firewalled and members who know the game rising and the file gets seeded quicker.

So.....
anyone wanting my files who has a ratio of .30 or less, is just a plain uber & has offered nowt to the community,i wouldn't bother getting on until it's seeded.

Let the big boys go 1st eh!!

K_K
So let me see if I get it straight.. those who share .30 or more get it an hour before everyone else?

Last edited by Trader Dave; 2007-05-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:14 PM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
thanx for that KK...it's not even a matter of bashing the ratio whores, the real bother to me is those who take first and drop off w/o sharing, and also those who hop on late and beg for help when they've never helped anyone...I don't care if they get stuff, but I want the right folks to get priority, and the uberleechers can have what's left...like you said, let the big boys go first...not only, but just first (and foremost)

I've had issues where I've seeded for days to get folks completed and the first few over the hump drop off and continue to leave me holding the bag...you don't really "owe" me anything, but is it not common courtesy to help others enjoy what you just completed...don't you feel at least a little responsible for those who are stranded or struggling with pathetic speeds??? I've waited for days to get things crawling in at less than 5k...every k is important, especially when they are the only k's available for the torrent (i.e. new ones, first ones to complete, or dying torrents) so that argument is worthless to me...some guy w/15k stuck around forever to get me a dying torrent...his ratio wasn't so good, but the upload he spent was spent where it would be most valuable...so really I guess we should all just think more about the other guy, and less about ourselves...it has nothing to do with ability...it's not about ratios as much as about character...the kinds of folks who couldn't care less about the others in the community by hit and running all the time are problematic...it's true that many good folks have bad ratios, and it's also true that a strict ratio policy would allow some assholes who oughta go to be allowed to stay, while some folks who shouldn't get the boot may get booted, so it's a sticky wicket to be certain, but I would hope there is some kind of limit to U2Lynnes kindness to those who don't deserve it...hopefully she is willing to remove those who truly abuse the site...maybe not on a ratio policy or anything, but I expect she knows an uberdouche when she sees (hears/reads) one and hopefully she will prune those who don't belong here...it's all about courtesy and respect for others...ratios are but one aspect of a members character...but usually those who fall into the asshole category usually find themselves in the shitty ratio category too...coincidence
why are you equating a traders ratio to their character ? You make these heart on the sleeve statements as if Utopia was just around the corner.
Share what you have and get on with your life. Does it truly keep you up at night if some dude is 'stealing' a free show that you dont own in the first place.
Yes, when you seed some may not linger - big fucking deal.
As for that chap Kooky_Kat .. on the rare day that you seed something worth grabbing.. I wait, catch a ride once it is well seeded & split immediately. I do this just because I dont enjoy your arrogance, chap.

Get over yourselves. Ill take what I want when i want it. And Ill share back when I feel like it.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:21 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
but I expect she knows an uberdouche when she sees (hears/reads) one and hopefully she will prune those who don't belong here...it's all about courtesy and respect for others...ratios are but one aspect of a members character...but usually those who fall into the asshole category usually find themselves in the shitty ratio category too...coincidence
Is this what people call an "us against them mentality"?
Old 2007-05-18, 02:22 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Dave
So let me see if I get it straight.. those who share .30 or more get it an hour before everyone else?
exactly.. it makes no sense.. funny
Old 2007-05-18, 02:30 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Actually, it does make sense at times. If you are seeding a show and the people who finish it first them immediately jump off, you are stuck still seeding that show. If you make sure the first people to finish it are 'sharers' and that they will continue to stick around, then you can jump off the show as the seeder a bit earlier. If you seed a lot of shows, then it makes sense to do this.

Old 2007-05-18, 02:34 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Actually, it does make sense at times. If you are seeding a show and the people who finish it first them immediately jump off, you are stuck still seeding that show. If you make sure the first people to finish it are 'sharers' and that they will continue to stick around, then you can jump off the show as the seeder a bit earlier. If you seed a lot of shows, then it makes sense to do this.
Can someone do a Scientific study of this and see how much time is actually saved?

It sounded to me like in his mind he was rewarding ppl for sharing and not concerned that much with saving his time.

Last edited by Trader Dave; 2007-05-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:40 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
when you seed out a show it is 'nice' if the first few stick around.
but maybe they have to leave for work.. or maybe their kids need something.. or maybe the cops are at their door.
Ive seen a lot of people jump off - only to jump back on later.
Doesnt bother me in the least. I wanted to seed out - why should it bring me down.

Blocking a few leechers just because you deem them 'unworthy' is ridiculous.
Once seeded, it is out & up for grabs for any and all - no time for whiners & ratio vigilantes
Old 2007-05-18, 02:45 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
when you seed out a show its 'nice' if the first few stick around.
but maybe they have to leave for work.. or maybe their kids need something.. or maybe the cops are at their door.
Ive seen a lot of people jump off - only to jump back on later.
Doesnt bother me in the least. I wanted to seed out - why should it bring me down.

Blocking a few leechers just because you deem them 'unworthy' is ridiculous.
Once seeded, it is out & up for grabs for any and all - no time for whiners & ratio vigilantes
Nope there is no way of knowing how many ppl turn there computer off at night to turn it back on in the morning to seed a show.

Most of what i read here IS faulty logic.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:47 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Dave
Most of what i read here is faulty logic.
specifics please
Old 2007-05-18, 02:49 PM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

Quote:
specifics please
certainly. Kooky_Kat sounds Kooky !
Old 2007-05-18, 02:52 PM
Trader Dave
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
specifics please
Do i really have to go into that?

Just read the stuff i said.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions