The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2018-11-11, 03:07 AM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

Re: Trader's Little Helper

This may be a stupid question but on the website I only see tralih280178.exe for download, no external.exe. I still need to manually restore Windows Explorer context menus integration every time after starting my PC.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2018-11-11, 05:49 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernod View Post
This may be a stupid question but on the website I only see tralih280178.exe for download, no external.exe. I still need to manually restore Windows Explorer context menus integration every time after starting my PC.
tralih280178.exe is the setup file used to install or upgrade TLH. All files needed for installation/upgrade (tralih.exe, external.exe, all command-line apps) come with this installer and will be installed during setup.
Old 2018-11-11, 12:49 PM
386.81 GB/2.05 TB/5.41

If you open TLH and look under the Help tab you will see an option for updating the prog.
Old 2018-11-13, 02:15 PM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
tralih280178.exe is the setup file used to install or upgrade TLH. All files needed for installation/upgrade (tralih.exe, external.exe, all command-line apps) come with this installer and will be installed during setup.
Understood. Thought I was missing something.
Old 2018-12-27, 09:21 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

TLH 2.8.0 bug - fixed release available

The powers of evil (before you ask, no, not Agent Orange, but the copy & paste demon) had forced me to introduce a bug to the latest TLH release v2.8.0 (in other words, this bug is not present in older releases): Processing a .flac file will fail if there is an ID3v2 tag at the beginning of the file.

Triple sorry! And a big Thanks to L.S. who reported this mess.

The fixed release v2.8.1 (build 179) is out now. Use TLH's Help menu to check for updates and download/install the new one. Or get the new installer from the TLH homepage. Or stay with v2.7.0 if you don't have any .flac files with an ID3v2 tag at the beginning...

Robert
Old 2018-12-27, 03:28 PM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.38

Re: TLH 2.8.0 bug - fixed release available

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
The fixed release v2.8.1 (build 179) is out now. Use TLH's Help menu to check for updates and download/install the new one. Or get the new installer from the TLH homepage. Or stay with v2.7.0 if you don't have any .flac files with an ID3v2 tag at the beginning...

Robert
Thank you so much for continuing to develop this amazing little program. All these years later and I still use it regularly. It's a godsend. Much, much appreciate.
Old 2018-12-28, 12:06 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.56 TB/7.81

Today I generated a large list of MD5s for files in a top-level directory including files in all sub-directories, at the end of the MD5 list I have a message: "There were errors." I searched the MD5 text file for the word "error" but found nothing. I also checked the path lengths in the sub-directories, the longest length was 216 characters, including the file name, less than the 255 characters that could cause an error.

Question: What else would cause TLH to generate an error while encoding MD5s?
Old 2018-12-28, 02:04 PM
1.18 TB/89.17 TB/75.51

Best program ever made for collectors like us. LOVE IT!
Old 2018-12-28, 03:38 PM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.56 TB/7.81

Is there documentation for the command-line arguments to tralih.exe that would allow me to use it in a script?
P.S. For example I would like to traverse all sub-directories on a disk, periodically checking all md5 and ffp files for errors.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia
Old 2018-12-29, 01:04 AM
Non Serviam
3.27 TB/25.56 TB/7.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee View Post
Today I generated a large list of MD5s for files in a top-level directory including files in all sub-directories, at the end of the MD5 list I have a message: "There were errors." I searched the MD5 text file for the word "error" but found nothing. I also checked the path lengths in the sub-directories, the longest length was 216 characters, including the file name, less than the 255 characters that could cause an error.

Question: What else would cause TLH to generate an error while encoding MD5s?
In this case I came up with at least one answer: corruption in the NTFS filesystem caused the error. I ran du -ach >list.txt in linux, it dumped core. I looked at the where the list.txt stopped, the file looked like a link to another folder. I moved the USB external disk to windows and tested the flacs with TLH in that folder, some tested bad. Then running chkdsk /f, the filesystem was repaired and those files disappeared. No wonder trying to encode an md5 threw an error.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. --Jerry Garcia

Last edited by guygee; 2018-12-29 at 01:14 AM.
Old 2018-12-29, 05:18 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Is there documentation for the command-line arguments to tralih.exe that would allow me to use it in a script?...
There's no documentation. You have to look in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\...).

Quote:
... For example I would like to traverse all sub-directories on a disk, periodically checking all md5 and ffp files for errors.
Unfortunately, this is not possible using command-line args only.
Old 2019-02-05, 11:39 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

TLH: Unicode/UTF-8 support?

Hey guys, longtime lurker, first time poster. Quick question...
I absolutely love Trader's Little Helper; I use it all the time! Here's my dilemma... Recently, I've been naming the songs of my shows using unicode fullwidth characters as opposed to using an underscore or a caret, etc. to signify a segue, inverted version, etc.
Exempli gratia:
Instead of,
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)-_ or
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)^
I've been naming them like so,
2-01 I:Little Betty Boop (><) –>

However, unfortunately TLH will not recognize these files. It will just say it "does not exist" or "No files left to be processed", "File cannot be found in directory", etc.
Why does this happen? I'm guessing this means TLH does not have unicode/utf-8 support? Does it read files via ANSI? Is there a way to force TLH to read unicode characters or an extension I could download? I mainly trying to create checksums, specifically st5. I know it's at least possible to create MD5, SFV, CRC-32, SHA-256, and BLAKE2 checksums using unicode characters because I've created them with TurboSFV.
If TLH could read the files, I assume I could just save it as a text file > open in notepad > save as UTF-8 or unicode.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me!
Old 2019-02-05, 12:36 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Re: TLH: Unicode/UTF-8 support?

You may get a quicker reply if you posted that question here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3904
Old 2019-02-09, 05:27 AM
218.76 GB/395.81 GB/1.81

I'd be glad to work on Unicode support in TLH if source was available.
Old 2019-02-13, 10:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: TLH: Unicode/UTF-8 support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_napkin View Post
Hey guys, longtime lurker, first time poster. Quick question...
I absolutely love Trader's Little Helper; I use it all the time! Here's my dilemma... Recently, I've been naming the songs of my shows using unicode fullwidth characters as opposed to using an underscore or a caret, etc. to signify a segue, inverted version, etc.
Exempli gratia:
Instead of,
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)-_ or
2-01 I_ Little Betty Boop (inv)^
I've been naming them like so,
2-01 I:Little Betty Boop (><) –>

However, unfortunately TLH will not recognize these files. It will just say it "does not exist" or "No files left to be processed", "File cannot be found in directory", etc.
Why does this happen? I'm guessing this means TLH does not have unicode/utf-8 support? Does it read files via ANSI? Is there a way to force TLH to read unicode characters or an extension I could download? I mainly trying to create checksums, specifically st5. I know it's at least possible to create MD5, SFV, CRC-32, SHA-256, and BLAKE2 checksums using unicode characters because I've created them with TurboSFV.
If TLH could read the files, I assume I could just save it as a text file > open in notepad > save as UTF-8 or unicode.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAVeRY View Post
I'd be glad to work on Unicode support in TLH if source was available.
TLH consists mainly of two parts: 1) the Graphical User Interface (the window you work with when using TLH (menus, file lists, buttons, ...)) and 2) a couple of third-party command-line apps ("console applications"; apps without GUI) that TLH calls in the background to execute the task specified (encoding files, for example).

The GUI is not able to handle Unicode because long time ago, when the main parts of TLH were written, there was no need for Unicode support. Though this would be a lot of work I could update the GUI to support Unicode. But: The real pain in the ass are the third-party command-line apps. They do not support Unicode because they were written to work in the non-Unicode Windows console. And: not all used comand-line apps are Open Source.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper