The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-02-19, 10:15 AM
44.51 GB/620.34 GB/13.94

archive on an Ipod?

Hi,

I have a bunch of shows on CDR's that I've downloaded/collected over the years. My pc is a 3-year old laptop with total storage of about 25G, so whenever I get a show I eventually have to decode to WAV, burn it to CDR, and at some point delete the WAVs & SHN/FLAC files from my pc to make room for something else. (I do leave the torrent running for a while, to share with others before I have to zap it from my PC. I try to keep positive share ratio.) Anyway I now have a book full over CDRs with just the name and date written on the disk. I don't play them that much, probably because they are not in order and I don't have the setlists memorized. I was considering buying an Ipod and ripping the CDRs to either to a WAV format, or trying to convert back to SHN or FLAC and put them on there. The benefit being that I can easily access any show, see the setlist, etc and it would take up less room. Then I could maybe plug it into my stereo. Does anyone else do this?

Also, I hear that the larger WAV files can quickly drain the battery compared to MP3. Something about the hard drive spinning all the time. Do larger WAV files have the same problem on flash-based MP3 players (like the Nano)?

Sorry if this topic is heresy!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-19, 11:26 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Re: archive on an Ipod?

If you wanted to go with lossless on an iPod, your options are either to go with Apple Lossless and the Apple firmware that ships with the pod or to install Rockbox on an older model and use FLAC etc. (you can always boot up the Apple firmware if you like). Either way, you will be flogging the HD and the battery, the latter even more so with Rockbox.

WAV files would be pointless on any HD or flash-based player when you could use lossless formats but even so, how many shows are you going to fit on an 8 gig player anyway ?

I'd say your best bet was to get a nice big external HD and run stuff from that to your stereo via your laptop or maybe (wallet willing) something from here.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-02-19, 11:36 AM
198.61 GB/204.31 GB/1.03

hey man, i am currently starting to do what it sounds like you are doing.
one thing first is you cannot put a wave file on an ipod, even if you could and you had an 80 gig ipod it would fill up pretty quick. there ARE some players out there that will support wav files but you are still going to run into the same prob with space.
SOOOO what i have just started to do is put the show on your pc, if its in the shn/flac or wav file convert it to MP3 i use EAC to convert to mp3 so i can choose the highest quality mp3 possible, its like 300 something Kbs...not bad...THEN after you got your MP3 files you need to tag them so they show up on your IPOD or other player correctly. the tagging thing sucks and its time consuming but VERY necessary for navigating around on the ipod. as far as not having setlists well as long as you have the date just jump on the internet and go to the deadbase and put the date in and the setlist will pop up. like i said the tagging process is a little time consuming but you will def apreciate it when you can find all you music alot easier on your player especially when you have 15000 plus songs on it.

the only other thing i can say is be sure not to mix up your MP3 files with your lossless files for tradeing purposes. hope this helps, email or send me a private message if you have any other issues.

my list http://www2.phishhook.com/lists/ststephen65?listid=0

my pics http://flickr.com/photos/ststephen65/sets/
Old 2007-02-19, 11:48 AM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

You *can* put a WAV on an iPod;
"Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV"......but don't

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2007-02-19, 12:00 PM
198.61 GB/204.31 GB/1.03

oh i didnt even think you could.....oh well if its burnt at 320kbs your not going to tell much of a difference so save your precious HD space

Old 2007-02-19, 12:41 PM
44.51 GB/620.34 GB/13.94

Thanks for the responses. I might hold off, not sure. I've read that the hard disc Ipods can break down and they are not as durable as the flash drive Ipods, which have no moving parts. I might wait until the next generation of flash Ipods come out, with greater storage.

I have a Pink Floyd disc that is 465MB in FLAC, converts to 783MB in WAVs, and the WAVs can be converted to 142MB in MP3's at a 256kbps. I'll try to calculate how much storage I'd need at 256kbps and see if it makes sense or not. Thanks.
Old 2007-02-19, 01:53 PM
198.61 GB/204.31 GB/1.03

well i hear ya, i think im going to hold off on buying "my" ipod.....right now im taking my wifes ipod hostage lol.....untill the next gen comes out. solid state ipods def would be nice. also that would mean the fith gen ipod can be bought for 200 dollars less

Old 2007-02-19, 11:00 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

also worth mentioning is that you should keep your original FLAC/SHN files that you downloaded together in the folder with the info.

trading shows with unnecessary cdr gens is frowned upon, besides the media is cheap. when you burn an audio cdr it is very difficult to verify, setlist etc has to be stored somewhere else and 99.9% of the time you will never be able to get it back off the discs with exact checksums. The tracks all slide with the offsets unless you have EAC perfectly set up and/or small digital errors get in there. Also, a couple years down the line you can't simply "test" the files on an audio cdr, you have to listen to every second of it just to see if it is okay.

Take it from me, I've got a couple hundred of audio cdrs here, about 15% of them are very fucked up at some point and I don't know which are which.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-02-20, 05:41 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
also worth mentioning is that you should keep your original FLAC/SHN files that you downloaded together in the folder with the info.

trading shows with unnecessary cdr gens is frowned upon, besides the media is cheap. when you burn an audio cdr it is very difficult to verify, setlist etc has to be stored somewhere else and 99.9% of the time you will never be able to get it back off the discs with exact checksums. The tracks all slide with the offsets unless you have EAC perfectly set up and/or small digital errors get in there. Also, a couple years down the line you can't simply "test" the files on an audio cdr, you have to listen to every second of it just to see if it is okay.

Take it from me, I've got a couple hundred of audio cdrs here, about 15% of them are very fucked up at some point and I don't know which are which.
i'm with Five on this, burn em to either DVDR or CDR as data discs as they were seeded [flac/shn with info, checksums, etc]...if you wanna listen to some on an iPod or whatever you can always convert those...but archiving on an iPod sounds like a good way to suddenly lose your complete collection
Old 2007-02-20, 06:06 AM
161.77 GB/294.84 GB/1.82

i wouldnt recommend archiving on it. lost all of my songs on my nano after a faulty update.. best thing is to go MP3 VBR 2 for the ipod , and then keep the original Flac on a DVDR.
Old 2007-02-20, 08:58 AM
198.61 GB/204.31 GB/1.03

i dont think he was implying actually "archiving" at least i hope not. anyway yeah i just copy em to my HD then convert to mp3, up to the ipod, and delete of my HD. then put the disc away for future use.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble