The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-03-21, 08:48 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Port Forwarded> Firewalled without changing settings? OSX

I don't know how but out of the blue on my Mac I all of a sudden am not forwarded. I don't download much from here in paticular. Mostly because I am too much of a leecher with my current upload speed.

People have helped me work through problems here before though. I appreciate that a lot. There is a PC in the house hard wired to a Westell Versalink modem and I WIFI on my TiBook G4. Everything was fine for a while. The only thing I can think of is that fact that the Versalink likes to freak out and reset itself once and a while. Maybe overheating or something. Normally my shit is still properly configured though. A week or so ago I tried to d/l something on the mac and the d/l speed was super sluggish. I tried to connect to a torrent on this site since the "firewalled" detector seems to work good here as apposed to most sites. It was telling me that I was firewalled. That is what the RED port numbers mean right?

I checked in the system preferences, "sharing;firewall" and have the firewall on with port range 49152-49153 selected. In "network;TCP/IP" I have my ip address as it has been.

I can't think of what else should be done. Again the connection on the PC seems fine.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-03-22, 09:39 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Re: Port Forwarded> Firewalled without changing settings? OSX

Do you BT from both machines? That may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure how to fix this other than restarting everything and only BT-ing from one computer.
Old 2006-03-22, 09:50 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Try turning off your Mac firewall and see if that fixes the problem. Also, under Sys Pref > Network > Built-In Ethernet > TCP/IP, do you have Configure IPv4 set to Manually? And do you have the IP addy there as 192.168.1.xxx? And that is the one that those ports are forwarded to in your router? And that IP is different for your PC? And the PC has different ports forwarded to it?

Old 2006-03-22, 01:23 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks for the replies...

Quote:
Also, under Sys Pref > Network > Built-In Ethernet > TCP/IP, do you have Configure IPv4 set to Manually?
Airport not Bult in, but it has been and is set to DHCP with manual address. Do you know what DHCP is?

Quote:
And do you have the IP addy there as 192.168.1.xxx?
Yes.

Quote:
And that is the one that those ports are forwarded to in your router?
Yes I believe so.

Quote:
And that IP is different for your PC?
Yes, the PC is one digit different.

Quote:
And the PC has different ports forwarded to it?
Yes. There is a range of two on the PC and a different rage of two on the Mac. Client software on both machines are configured for the proper ports for each machine.
Old 2006-03-24, 09:40 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

bump?
Old 2006-03-26, 08:04 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
but it has been and is set to DHCP with manual address. Do you know what DHCP is?
anyone???
Old 2006-03-26, 10:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

DHCP: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

I have mine turned off and I just set my IP manually, but as long as you manually input an IP and then use that IP to forward your ports, you should be fine.

Old 2006-03-28, 03:53 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

New question...

when you do the router services configing you do type in 192.168.1.1 and not your actual IP addy right?

My two computers are set up as one digit away from eachother. I swear I had each worked out on the routers Wirespeed Data Gateway page before.

Can I do each computers IP on that page for each computer? If not do I need to set up that page for 4 ports if I want each computer to have 2 ports in it's range?

Does this make any sense?
Old 2006-03-28, 04:16 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

You can't forward the same port to two different ip addys (computers) on the same network. That's not what's going on is it?
Old 2006-03-28, 04:53 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I want to forward different ports, example 6881-6882 on the mac, 6883-6884 on the PC.

I want to know if I log onto the Wirespeed Data Gateway page on my mac will it change the settings on the PC?
Old 2006-03-28, 05:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I have different ports forwarded to my PC and my Mac (as I'm supposed to) and I've logged onto the router page from both my PC and my Mac and nothing gets changed unless I change them.

Old 2006-03-29, 10:31 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
and I've logged onto the router page from both my PC and my Mac and nothing gets changed unless I change them.
Okay, I discovered that yes indeed a change made on the mac is changed when I log in from the PC. This is to make a "custom service" right? I know this is possible cause both computers were proper for a long time before. I had screwed everything up and got my PC back in order to start from scratch.

These computers have different IP's but go through the same router right?

Do you need two custom services, each from a different IP to have them both proper?
Old 2006-03-29, 10:40 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I'm not sure what you mean by "two custom services".

I have one router that both my PC and Mac go through (along with several other computers in the house). I access that router by using my browser and going to "192.168.1.1". In there, I go to the Forwarding tab. For each computer that I wish to forward the ports for, I put in the local IP (192.168.1.xxx) and then the ports for that IP. So, I have an entry for my PC and an entry for my Mac and each have different ports forwarded for them.

Old 2006-03-29, 03:20 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

thanks USLynne for the help. Simular situation so I appreciate it a lot.

For this westell modem they call is "custom service". You go to congifuration, then services, then define custom service. This is where you specify the host device and ports to be forwarded. This is where my monkey wrench is. I think it is at least. So these are "user defined services".

You say you have an entry for your Mac, and an entry for your PC. Are both entries viewable on either computer? In my case I guess that would be 2 "user defined services".

Does that makes sense?
Old 2006-03-30, 08:57 AM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

I thought I had it.

I now have the PC set to it's IP and has a service for 6881-6882, this works fine.

On the Mac I have a custom service for it's IP and ports 6883-6884. I have the network settings for this IP only, the sharing set to 6883-6884, the client set to 6883-6884. I am still red when I connect here though.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble