The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-10-04, 06:28 PM
77.60 GB/784.77 GB/10.11

Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

Right, so I downloaded a torrent from Dime A Dozen on one computer -> zipped it -> moved to another computer -> unzipped it -> downloaded the torrent from dime again -> added it back to utorrent, pointing it to the directory with the downloaded files.

Instead of checking at 100%, it checked to 86% or so and started redownloading the other 14%. What gives? I was seeding before I zipped the files and transferred them. Why would they be any different?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-10-04, 07:27 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: Torrent added to utorrent - redownloading?

I would use the checksum file to actually verify that your process of zipping and unzipping the files didn't damage them or corrupt them or alter them. Perhaps making "new" files with the zip / unzip process changed the dates of the files and they weren't exactly the same as the originals anymore? Dates, headers, I dunno, but something obviously was changed when you compressed and uncompressed them...

At least you didn't have to re-download the entire fileset a second time - it gave you credit for having a big portion of them already.

Why the zip / unzip extra step anyway? Couldn't you just copy the whole folder the files are in to transfer them to the second computer?
Old 2012-10-04, 07:35 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

also sometimes files are different on dime as they are officially released tracks and or have been removed to avoid a copyright ... just a heads up ..
Old 2012-10-04, 08:05 PM
77.60 GB/784.77 GB/10.11

Ironically, I had zipped them because I was moving from a linux machine to XP and I DIDN'T want to corrupt the files... lol

I finished redownloading them, and they verified perfectly against the md5 file again... weird...

Thanks for the replies, guys
Old 2012-10-06, 06:57 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidecker View Post
also sometimes files are different on dime as they are officially released tracks and or have been removed to avoid a copyright ... just a heads up ..
No, he said he downloaded them from Dime, and moved them to another computer to try and continue seeding them on Dime. The files shouldn't have changed (but they did)...

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble