The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-05, 10:32 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: The tracker doesn't show leechers for this torrent..SOLVED !!! (tech explanation please..)

agree. mystery solved.

something else was interesting as well..

when the second tracker was added, the client began to 'hammer' the two trackers
constantly updating back and forth.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-05, 10:51 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: The tracker doesn't show leechers for this torrent..SOLVED !!! (tech explanation please..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
agree. mystery solved.

something else was interesting as well..

when the second tracker was added, the client began to 'hammer' the two trackers
constantly updating back and forth.
You better watch that, we've got scott's script running and you don't want to get banned again.

Old 2008-02-06, 12:23 AM
24.91 GB/75.05 GB/3.01

At the end, I downloaded the torrent from TC to compare in the utorrent "General" tab for the torrent, the values for Pieces and Hash for both of them, TC and TTD, and are identic:
TTD: 1319 x 256 kB (have 1319)
TTD: 562AF9C94AB7FB8750393FE30F4CE4CDA265635D

TC : 1319 x 256 kB (have 1319)
TC : 562AF9C94AB7FB8750393FE30F4CE4CDA265635D

I deleted the TTD torrent, and loaded the TC one.
After In the properties of the torrent I DELETED the TC tracker url, and restarted it.
Now I'm still connected to the same leecher, it has the H flag, which means: H = Peer was obtained through DHT.

This is that this leechers of the first day and todays one, found my seeded files through DHT, (because the hash table was the same) not the trackers, and the trackers cannot "see" or follow the DHT trafic...
It seems is not necessary to have the two trackers in the torrent to be connected.

I was interested to read more about DHT, found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

....Distributed hash tables (DHTs) are a class of decentralized distributed systems that provide a lookup service similar to a hash table: (name, value) pairs are stored in the DHT, and any participating node can efficiently retrieve the value associated with a given name. Responsibility for maintaining the mapping from names to values is distributed among the nodes, in such a way that a change in the set of participants causes a minimal amount of disruption. This allows DHTs to scale to extremely large numbers of nodes and to handle continual node arrivals, departures, and failures.

DHTs form an infrastructure that can be used to build more complex services, such as distributed file systems, peer-to-peer file sharing and content distribution systems, cooperative web caching, multicast, anycast, domain name services, and instant messaging.
Notable distributed networks that use DHTs include BitTorrent (with extensions), eDonkey network, YaCy, and the Coral Content Distribution Network...
Old 2008-02-06, 12:50 AM
24.91 GB/75.05 GB/3.01

Re: The tracker doesn't show leechers for this torrent..SOLVED !!! (tech explanation Found DHT>)

4:30 in the morning, still non convinced of being made all possible tests,
I deleted the torrent, and created a new one with utorrent.
Without tracker url and 256 KB size for the pieces, as the original torrent,
with the same Folder for the files (always was the same files)
and started seeding...
Big Surprise
The Hash value and Pieces are the same than for TC and TTD, see above.

I got 0(9) 1(1) and this leecher started downloading, now he is 98%... his flags are UHE.

I don't need a tracker to share , but my ratio will suffer a bit

If you don't believe, please don't insult to me and make the test yourself
Old 2008-02-06, 10:54 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

We believe you, we aren't saying we don't. I think you have hit the key point of why this is happening - the hash value is the same for the torrent on both sites. And it's the same because the seeder over at TC downloaded it from here, make a new torrent with the TC announce, and uploaded it over there (he says this in his notes). My guess is, he then started his torrent and did as Wolf showed - he said yes to combine the two torrents. This connected everybody right from the start. I think it's a very interesting situation.

Old 2008-03-16, 05:45 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

I remember reading this and thinking this would never happen to me, well it has!

I was uploading the TMV show which I already had done on Dime. I downloaded the torrent file and opened it in uTorrent and got the "this torrent you are trying to add is already in the list of torrents, do you want load the trackers form it?" pop-up. Stupidly I clicked on yes, and now the damn thing is uploading to the Dime torrent and I cannot find a way of stopping it. I have removed the Dime torrent from my client and have deleted that torrent file. I also deleted the TTD torrent file and re-downloaded it, but I'm still uploading to the Dime torrent. I cannot see a way of resetting this. Can anyone help?
Old 2008-03-16, 05:57 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

^^^
Edit to say that it seems to have stopped after restarting uTorrent. Weird.

Also weird is not being able to edit my post above after 10 minutes. I presume there is a reason for this?
Old 2008-03-16, 11:12 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think the key is to make a small change to the torrent (like add an extra blank line to the text file) before uploading it to another site. That way the hash is different and uTorrent won't think it is just the same torrent.

As for the editing.... posts have a time limit of ten minutes. First posts, however, can be edited indefinitely.

Old 2008-03-16, 01:28 PM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Thanks for the explanation Lynne. However, I uploaded the youthmovies set here and then at Dime without changing anything and never had this problem. I will make a small change to the torrent in the future though.

Cheers!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble