The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-06-08, 03:03 PM
1.08 TB/370.51 GB/0.33

Armchair engineers

I have been trading audio (tapes) (now cds) since 1970, back in the good ole days, it was an unwritten code not to doctor the tapes with eq, dolby etc. Being an audio engineer now for 30 + years I find it disturbing to see alot of people, doing adjustments to the sources that they have no clue what they are doing, with the advent of new audio software that anyone can purchase, it has become alarming to hear and read what people are doing. Sure you might add some highs or lows to a program but in effect you are messing up the timbre of the audio regardless of how it was recorded. I have also seen shows that were recently recorded from the audience that sound horrible, you would think that the technology availabe today that some decent equipment would be used, ESPECIALLY the microphone . I have tapes that were done in the early 70's that blow many of the newer tapes out of the water, is it just me or is this something others have noticed as well.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-06-08, 03:08 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Armchair engineers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyhours View Post
I have been trading audio (tapes) (now cds) since 1970, back in the good ole days, it was an unwritten code not to doctor the tapes with eq, dolby etc. Being an audio engineer now for 30 + years I find it disturbing to see alot of people, doing adjustments to the sources that they have no clue what they are doing, with the advent of new audio software that anyone can purchase, it has become alarming to hear and read what people are doing. Sure you might add some highs or lows to a program but in effect you are messing up the timbre of the audio regardless of how it was recorded. I have also seen shows that were recently recorded from the audience that sound horrible, you would think that the technology availabe today that some decent equipment would be used, ESPECIALLY the microphone . I have tapes that were done in the early 70's that blow many of the newer tapes out of the water, is it just me or is this something others have noticed as well.
You are not the first:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=8819

This is an ongoing problem, but it's better than it was 5 years ago... just have to keeop fighting the good fight.. educate whenever you see it happening.
Old 2008-06-08, 04:23 PM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

As far as i understand it, this does not only happen with boots but with regular releases as well, where anyone at the record company with a harddrive and a copy of Audition starts to mess around with things.
Old 2008-06-08, 05:24 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyhours View Post
I have been trading audio (tapes) (now cds) since 1970, back in the good ole days, it was an unwritten code not to doctor the tapes with eq, dolby etc. Being an audio engineer now for 30 + years I find it disturbing to see alot of people, doing adjustments to the sources that they have no clue what they are doing, with the advent of new audio software that anyone can purchase, it has become alarming to hear and read what people are doing. Sure you might add some highs or lows to a program but in effect you are messing up the timbre of the audio regardless of how it was recorded. I have also seen shows that were recently recorded from the audience that sound horrible, you would think that the technology available today that some decent equipment would be used, ESPECIALLY the microphone . I have tapes that were done in the early 70's that blow many of the newer tapes out of the water, is it just me or is this something others have noticed as well.
im not sure what your gripe is?!?!
if you arent the original taper - you have no leg to stand on concerning the matter.
people doing 'remasters' of others recordings would be another subject all together.

im currently doctoring up a master tape as we speak just going by ear. I'm not a pro taper/engineer.. just doing it to kill off a weekend.
also, at these sites *everyone* claims to be an audio engineer. tell us more about your credentials/professional experience.
thanks for the advice.. i guess ?!?!

Last edited by direwolf-pgh; 2008-06-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2008-06-08, 05:27 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Yes. And please remaster that ratio.
Old 2008-06-08, 05:55 PM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementrium View Post
cloudyhours 34.85 GB/16.49 GB/0.47

dementrium 352.67 GB/186.52 GB/0.53

Hmmm.
Old 2008-06-08, 07:01 PM
433.71 GB/433.00 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjsb125 View Post
Quote:

Hmmm.
Sorry. I thought this was The Lounge.
Old 2008-06-08, 07:55 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I also have many master recordings. Usually I wouldn't prefer anything but the raw master in circulation, but if I have a choice, I'll play with the recording myself, as per direwolf-pgh's comment.

Sometimes that prevents other amateur "re-master-ers" from taking their whacks at a recording I made.

(Sometimes not.... )

And don't take the Peanut Gallery too seriously, the trolls do escape the Lounge infrequently.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjsb125 View Post

Hmmm.
Sorry. I thought this was The Lounge.

Some of them trolls haven't a clue, either......

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble