The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-07-10, 07:07 PM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

How can I increase my upload rate?

I have a high speed connection and I know that I could be giving back more than I do. Also, I try to leave my torrents up as long as possible, long after I am done downloading, but my upload rate keeps falling. Am I doing something wrong?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-10, 08:04 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Re: How can I increase my upload rate?

Strange..i see you active on 2 torrents but you dont show on the seeder/leecher list.
I am trying to see if you are firewalled.
If you are,then basically no-one can connect to you so you will not upload to the swarm correctly.
As you are not showing....

K_K
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-07-10, 08:43 PM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i am indeed getting a firewall message, however i know for a fact that i do not use one. could this be an error?
Old 2007-07-10, 08:49 PM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

also, it appears to me that i am indeed uploading... as you noted, i do have two downloads active and on both it shows i am also uploading. in fact, on one of them it shows i am uploading @ a rate of 234kb/sec. that's actually the highest rate i've ever seen. i am usually between less than a kb/sec and 10kb/sec. then again, it also shows i am downloading that file at 1000kb/sec but i don't believe that # for a second.
Old 2007-07-10, 10:54 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Do you use a router? Then it probably has a built-in firewall. In order to get rid of your firewalled message, you will need to forward your ports - see the link in my sig for that.

Your max upload rate is set by your ISP. It is whatever you paid for. Usually if you pay more per month, you may get a higher max upload rate. You can do a speed test (usually your ISP provides one or you can google it) and find out what your actual max rate is. Just remember to get the value in bittorrent language, you will need to divide the number by 8. So, your 234 kb/s is actually about 29 KB/s.

KoolKat, he wasn't showing up on the list cuz he was using Opera which I don't list in my clients table. He should show up now.

Old 2007-07-11, 04:11 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
KoolKat, he wasn't showing up on the list cuz he was using Opera which I don't list in my clients table. He should show up now.
Ahhh
Clarity.

Yep,must be a router job then eh

K_K
Old 2007-07-11, 06:36 AM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Do you use a router? Then it probably has a built-in firewall. In order to get rid of your firewalled message, you will need to forward your ports - see the link in my sig for that.

Your max upload rate is set by your ISP. It is whatever you paid for. Usually if you pay more per month, you may get a higher max upload rate. You can do a speed test (usually your ISP provides one or you can google it) and find out what your actual max rate is. Just remember to get the value in bittorrent language, you will need to divide the number by 8. So, your 234 kb/s is actually about 29 KB/s.

Actually I don't use a router... just a simple connection into the wall... but thank you very much for your time, i do appreciate it. This place is awesome.
Old 2007-07-11, 07:49 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

I see you now.Yes you are firewalled.Port number is extremely high as well.
I suggest that you change your torrent client & allow an exception in Windows firewall(if you don't use a seperate one) for the program...try one called u-torrent ,it uses less PC resources than Azureus

K_K
Old 2007-07-11, 09:17 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If you don't use a router, do you have a modem? I mean, you must have *something* that your ISP installed to get you your connection. Can you log in to your modem to forward the ports? Also, I think you said your XP firewall was off (you may want to double-check), but an anti-virus program will also 'firewall' you. I'm guessing that as a PC user, you must have some sort of protection on your computer and most likely that is firewalling your bittorrent client.

Old 2007-07-11, 05:38 PM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
If you don't use a router, do you have a modem? I mean, you must have *something* that your ISP installed to get you your connection. Can you log in to your modem to forward the ports? Also, I think you said your XP firewall was off (you may want to double-check), but an anti-virus program will also 'firewall' you. I'm guessing that as a PC user, you must have some sort of protection on your computer and most likely that is firewalling your bittorrent client.
the plot thickens,.. i am a mac user. yes, i use a modem... not sure how to "log into" it, but i'll check it out. again, i really appreciate your help.
Old 2007-07-11, 05:55 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-O
the plot thickens,.. i am a mac user.
Now you say...

I'm gone...all yours Lynne

K_K
Old 2007-07-11, 06:26 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hehe.

I would look up the make/model of your modem and then we may be able to help you to login to it. Usually, most people can login to their routers or modems by typing "192.168.1.1" (no quotes) into their browser and then the interface will come up.

I am guessing that it is a modem issue since many mac users have the firewall off and don't use any sort of anti-virus protection.

Old 2007-07-11, 08:34 PM
dan-O
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Hehe.

I would look up the make/model of your modem and then we may be able to help you to login to it. Usually, most people can login to their routers or modems by typing "192.168.1.1" (no quotes) into their browser and then the interface will come up.

I am guessing that it is a modem issue since many mac users have the firewall off and don't use any sort of anti-virus protection.
good lord.. sorry to be such a pain.... i checked my modem type... it is an RCA. model# dcm425. don't know if this helps. I tried typing the "192.168.1.1" into my browser and guess what? no dice...

this is weird. i've never had this issue before on other torrent sites.
Old 2007-07-11, 11:20 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

According to these two pages, that is a modem only, not a modem/router like some modems are. ( http://forums.softhardware.net/ar/t2591.htm and http://forums.softhardware.net/index.php?showtopic=2591 ) therefore the ports should just be open.

There is a manual for your modem on this page: http://www.timewarnercable.com/Custo...20&MarketID=68 and it doesn't mention anything about being able to configure it through a browser nor does it mention port forwarding.

You are positive that the firewall is turned off? (Sys Prefs > Sharing > Firewall )

Old 2007-07-12, 02:03 AM
Duck, Duck, Goose
57.06 GB/49.40 GB/0.87

i am having a problem with my upload rate here as well. it just kinda goes in spurts. wit multiple leeches in the swarm i will be uploading at 2 kb/s then 150 kb/s then 0 kb/s then 125 kb/s then 3 kb/s... well you get the picture. i can't figure it out for the life of me. i never had this problem back in the day here. but i did move and now i have a new service. maybe comcast is throttling my upload or something?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble