The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 05:59 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: What are Site Admins allowed to do with donations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisattva
From my perspective this site, and some others, have allowed some trolls (some with obvious troll handles btw) to spread misconceptions and lies about our website and some people here took a big bite of the shit sandwhich.

Sebastian has been a member since 2004, has u/led over a dozen shows in the past year, and posts fairly regularly...you joined a few days ago, have u/led nothing, and have averaged over 9 posts a day strictly arguing in this thread

and he's the troll?

not tryin to stir the shit bodhi, just sayin...ya might wanna step back and think about it...

i know that next year when someone posts how much "TTD sucks because they're audio snobs and won't allow my MD recording", i certainly won't be registering at the board and arguing our position...i'll probly chuckle and go back to moderating
Old 2007-05-28, 06:01 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
Dead on AAR.oner... absolutely dead on..... it's about time someone in the community calls bullshit when he sees bullshit.
i'd say you've been callin bullshit just fine yerself bro
Old 2007-05-28, 07:58 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner

I'm the taper/author/filmer and I want that show removed!
Our policy here is similar to that at a major torrent site. The rights to the audio/video belong to the performer. Once that show gets out of your hands, you don't have any control over what is done with it. If someone uploads a show that you taped/filmed/authored/remastered, you may ask the uploader to remove it ONCE (any other requests may be deleted at the discretion of the Mods), but it is up to them whether they want to ask us to remove it. However, that doesn't mean that show is permanently banned from here. Someone else may end up uploading it and not feel like asking for it to be removed.

for me personally, as both staff and a taper, i think that a tapers wishes should be respected if at all possible...end of story

what I am saying is this, if a taper upped a show at Zomb with a request not to seed it here, would that be respected here, or if someone decides to upload it here, so be it...I think the policy states that you honor the request of the band, and the request of the person who uploaded it here...if the tables were turned here, would we have allowed our community to disrespect Zomb??? I just imagine we're better than that here, but I was curious how that works...I'm glad to know that we have an "official" policy, but I'm even happier to hear that you guys are willing to take each case into consideration (understanding that there is a huge grey area...

in this precise scenario, switching the roles of Zomb and TTD, would TTD respect the wishes of the taper who upped at Zomb...seems hypocritical of us here if we wouldn't respect it...I just wanna make sure we're not flaming Zomb admin for something we would do here

BTW Lynee is awesome...all you other staffers suck balls

just kidding, you guys all do a helluva job...I may not always agree with you guys, but I always respect you guys for the hard work you do...keep up the good work here guys...thanx for everything
Old 2007-05-28, 08:04 AM
GrOoOvemeister
2.57 TB/2.00 TB/0.78

"Once that show gets out of your hands, you don't have any control over what is done with it. "

isn't this the point that Zomb admins have been making the whole time??? it seems wrong to bash them for a policy that resembles ours...I still don't mind their donation policies because they announce what it's for...I don't think it's ethical, but they're open about it...I think they are in the wrong for this, but if the shoe was on the other foot I think (based on our policy) we would have done the same thing...we would be wrong too IMHO...have I misinterpreted anything

not tryin to stir up trouble (I love it here) but just honestly seeking clarification...thanx in advance for addressing my concerns (preferrably in a civil manner) I appreciate it...it's nice to see people defend their position here instead of avoiding the issue...I can always count on open and spirited debate and discussion here, and although sometimes it gets heated...I always manage to learn something...thanx for taking the time to address my concerns
Old 2007-05-28, 08:54 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
nice Lynne! congrats from us

i finally graduated last weekend too...only took me 12 years to finish definitely not a 4.0, but got cum laude!
congrats, m8 - that's fantastic!
Old 2007-05-28, 09:53 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishblowz
"Once that show gets out of your hands, you don't have any control over what is done with it. "

isn't this the point that Zomb admins have been making the whole time??? it seems wrong to bash them for a policy that resembles ours...I still don't mind their donation policies because they announce what it's for...I don't think it's ethical, but they're open about it...I think they are in the wrong for this, but if the shoe was on the other foot I think (based on our policy) we would have done the same thing...we would be wrong too IMHO...have I misinterpreted anything

not tryin to stir up trouble (I love it here) but just honestly seeking clarification...thanx in advance for addressing my concerns (preferrably in a civil manner) I appreciate it...it's nice to see people defend their position here instead of avoiding the issue...I can always count on open and spirited debate and discussion here, and although sometimes it gets heated...I always manage to learn something...thanx for taking the time to address my concerns
thats something i cant answer, since i don't really deal with the BT forums much...i can say that if it were strictly up to me, i would honor the request...but i'll also add that i agree with what the Zomb admins are sayin re: not being able to police every torrent like that...i guess it boils down to "ideally" vs "realistically", like much of life

sorry i can't give a better answer than that

EDIT -- didn't realize my girl had logged into her account, so this is an AAR.oner answer
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2007-05-28, 09:56 AM
sarcastic dork
TTD Staff
123.09 GB/240.75 GB/1.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
congrats, m8 - that's fantastic!
thanks James
I'm always up for a trade <--Best viewed using anything but Internet Explorer.
Old 2007-05-28, 10:18 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Congrats AAR.oner as well. i guess this thread has taken another left hand turn, and is now the graduation thread?

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2007-05-28, 10:26 AM
520.32 GB/630.74 GB/1.21

Who do I send the bill to?

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Old 2007-05-28, 11:18 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:

isn't this the point that Zomb admins have been making the whole time??? it seems wrong to bash them for a policy that resembles ours........

TTD policy doesn't include anything about explicitly doing something to spite a taper.

Which is exactly what the site admins at zomb did.....and bragged about it while slagging off the taper.

I did a little searching on this topic on line and I saw this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_watts
uhm, show was posted by a staff member, who explicitly stated he's doing it because the taper requested the show not to be hosted there.

i................ instead staff members jump on this within minutes and then proceed to call him "a bad taper and scum" on their site news. utterly retarded imho.
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthre...&page=16&pp=30

And bodhisattva thinks he has a right to demand respect......instead of earning it.....

Last edited by freezer; 2007-05-28 at 11:23 AM. Reason: don't want to bring up the l...... word here...not here....not now......
Old 2007-05-28, 11:28 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
btw Lynne, if i donate to the site, think you might could boost my post count? all the typing is causing carpal tunnel
Um..... no. You'll just have to get Heather to post using your account.
Quote:
what I am saying is this, if a taper upped a show at Zomb with a request not to seed it here, would that be respected here, or if someone decides to upload it here, so be it...I think the policy states that you honor the request of the band, and the request of the person who uploaded it here...if the tables were turned here, would we have allowed our community to disrespect Zomb??? I just imagine we're better than that here, but I was curious how that works...I'm glad to know that we have an "official" policy, but I'm even happier to hear that you guys are willing to take each case into consideration (understanding that there is a huge grey area...

in this precise scenario, switching the roles of Zomb and TTD, would TTD respect the wishes of the taper who upped at Zomb...seems hypocritical of us here if we wouldn't respect it...I just wanna make sure we're not flaming Zomb admin for something we would do here
I think this is one of those instances where we'd have to make a call at the time. When I hear that people have uploaded shows here that were just uploaded on another tracker, I try to send a PM to the seeder saying it really is polite to wait until the show has run it's course over on the first tracker. Usually they write back and say they are sorry, but they now understand.

If it were the exact same situation as what happened here, I really don't know. I do know one thing, I would not have gone and posted in the thread on the other site saying that we don't want the recording here at TTD. I think I mentioned earlier that even though I'm not an Admin/Mod on any other site, I am still seen as a spokesperson for TTD and anything I say can be used again the site, so I try very, very, VERY hard to never get into any petty fights on other sites. So, assuming that no one from TTD went over to that other site and said "well fine, we don't want this recording on TTD with that sort of attitude" (or however it was worded) and then the recording showed up over here, I don't think I would pull it, however I do think I would be PMing the seeder and letting them know that we do NOT like site wars and that it is pretty petty to go against the tapers wishes and upload the show over here. I think there would be a lot of PMing going on, basically. And then if he chooses to pull the thread, I would be more than happy to pull it for him/her.

I *think* that the things people were getting a bit perturbed about in this situation is that a) the Admin said he didn't want the show there and would make sure it wouldn't be uploaded there, but then changed his mind and b) it was a Staff member who uploaded the show over there. I can honestly say that I can't see any member of Staff here ever doing something like that. No one on Staff here is the type of person to try to cause such a huge problem like what was caused. Staff here is pretty darned laid back and I just can't see any of them doing that.

Old 2007-05-28, 11:42 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Staff here is pretty darned laid back and I just can't see any of them doing that.
/me points and laughs like nelson muntz "Haw-Ha, your staff is a bunch of damn hippies."

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.

Last edited by trustthex; 2007-05-28 at 11:50 AM.
Old 2007-05-28, 11:42 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
........and that it is pretty petty to go against the tapers wishes ........
goddam......That is strong strong language, coming from you, Ms Lynne......

though you just could'a repeated this instead.......

Quote:
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2007-05-28, 12:29 PM
greatdane
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombfuckingsucks

An Open Response to Bodhisattva/ZOMB/THEZOMB

If you want to find why people are angry with or have a "vendetta" with Zomb as you call it, it really does not take a great deal of sophisticated probing to determine that people's rational resentment towards Zomb stems from a common root: Zomb's unethical behavior. With this shallow and condescending response, bodhisattva takes a page directly from the George W. school of fallacy by suggesting that those who disagree are guilty of trying to spread hate, as though we are drooling idiots incapable of distinguishing between the act of hate and the act holding people accountable for questionable activities, especially when they are entrusted with considerable sums of money.

Another parallel can be drawn with bodhisattva’s allusion of Tapers as “dictators” which is fairly Orwellian. Think about it:

The Zomb exacts stringent control over the public discourse within its forum to root out dissenters.

The taper produces; only to have his work disfigured and dismantled by the whim of parasites.

The Zomb controls and seeks acquisition; using regulation to ensure its role as a gatekeeper of bootleg access.

The taper does not control or seek power; but modestly requests that his creation be distributed in the manner he finds appropriate.

Who’s the dictator? People should determine for themselves, after all, isn’t it the dictator who relies on vapid labels such as “communists,” “trolls,” “terrorists,” “scum,” to instill what people should think without determining their own rational convictions?

On the subject of respect, I had asked a reasonable question about your definition of “donation” so we could have a common understanding of terms and you responded, "Thats all speculation dumb ass." That’s disrespectful. Raping the Taper's of their resources and disincentivizing them from taping in the future is (for lack of a better phrase) to take a giant shit on the smashing pumpkins trading community at large. That’s disrespectful. We still have not come to terms on the same definition of "donation" but I would surmise that Zomb's definition of "donate" is just as faulty as its definition of "slander" (remember, verbal not written) which Zomb purports that dissenters are guilty of (without citations)

Are questions relating to Zomb’s definition of “donations” disrespectful for the fact that they might shed some light and honestly onto a topic that has been charged with irrational and emotional rhetoric that merely serves to obscure everyone’s understanding?
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 2007-05-28, 02:04 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane
Truer words have never been spoken.

Try this one instead.....

"You WANT respect, then you need to EARN respect."

or --- and this one --though its been said before --- ABSOLUTELY is the only proper response to that mean-spirited Zomb Manifesto...

"Being a dick in return doesn't make you right, it just makes you a dick."

Now the question is: Just how much respect is zomb getting from users of all the sites where they brought their shitstorm?

Anyone can see all the respect bodhisattva earned for zomb in this thread alone.....

I'm sure the tapers reading his hate filled spew must respect the hell out of zomb now.... OR ELSE......

What next....another bodhisattva 'manifesto' demanding that other sites quit hosting threads laughing in their zomb faces?
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions