The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-03-01, 01:54 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Arrow Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

Reason given for removal:

9. Only DVDs produced as DVDs may be seeded here.
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here with conversions from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD). Converting a lesser quality video to DVD does not make the quality of the video any better, and is therefore pointless. It is equivilent to creating a flac fileset from mp3s simply because the flac format came around and is better than all others. None of the above mentioned video codecs are up to par with The Trader's Den Video BT Seeding Guidelines, and therefore, will not be allowed on the tracker.

Please read the following concerning VALID DVD video formats:

The typical video resolution for an NTSC disc is 720 × 480, while a PAL disc is 720 × 576. The specifications for video files on a DVD can be any of the following:

Up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9800 kbit/s) MPEG-2 video
Up to 1.856 Mbit/s (1856 kbit/s) MPEG-1 video
PAL:
720 × 576 pixels MPEG-2 (Called full D1)
704 × 576 pixels MPEG-2
352 × 576 pixels MPEG-2 (Called Half-D1, same as the China Video Disc standard)
352 × 288 pixels MPEG-2
352 × 288 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
NTSC:
720 × 480 pixels MPEG-2 (Called full D1)
704 × 480 pixels MPEG-2
352 × 480 pixels MPEG-2 (Called Half-D1, same as the China Video Disc standard)
352 × 240 pixels MPEG-2
352 × 240 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard)

The file in the torrent was listed as MPEG-1 352 x 240 and is therefore
DVD compliant. The poster even mentioned that he did not re-encode.
The video is not "converted" to make a DVD, it is valid as is. Your "rule"
is not even technically correct.

The REAL REASON that this should be banned is that a major portion of this
broadcast has been officially released.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-01, 02:54 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Re: Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

How did you work out that mpeg 1 is DvD compliant.
Read what you wrote chap

The file in the torrent was listed as MPEG-1 352 x 240
and you've already said

basically it was an authored VCD that WILL play in a DvD player as a DvD ,dont get me wrong,but only because of the 352 as THAT is DvD compliant.Half of 704 which is a cropped DvD Standard as well

But the torrent was still mpeg 1 which is NOT a DvD standard its a VCD standard.

With me

So it would be pulled...but definatly now that you add the extra info with it being official whether it was DvD,VCD or even a cup of Brooke Bond D Tea

K_K
Old 2007-03-01, 09:58 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Re: Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
How did you work out that mpeg 1 is DvD compliant.
Read what you wrote chap

The file in the torrent was listed as MPEG-1 352 x 240
and you've already said

basically it was an authored VCD that WILL play in a DvD player as a DvD ,dont get me wrong,but only because of the 352 as THAT is DvD compliant.Half of 704 which is a cropped DvD Standard as well

But the torrent was still mpeg 1 which is NOT a DvD standard its a VCD standard.

With me

So it would be pulled...but definatly now that you add the extra info with it being official whether it was DvD,VCD or even a cup of Brooke Bond D Tea

K_K
352 × 240 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard) is DVD compliant.
Please spend two seconds and look up the specification. All the formats
listed in my previous post are DVD COMPLIANT.

Whether or not it looks like shit is a completely different issue.

I couldn't look at the posters files as the thread is locked. Try reading
his comments, he took a DVD compliant MPEG-1 file and AUTHORED
a DVD from it. Read what someone else wrote, chap.

Personally, I have a line feed recording of this broadcast (provided by a
friend at Chrysalis records) which includes footage not broadcast, so I'm
not really interested in this torrent, just the bogus reason for its removal.

BTW - this was never released as an official VCD. Portions have been
included on official videocassette and DVD. You don't need anything more
than a quick google to figure this out.........
Old 2007-03-01, 10:04 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper
352 × 240 pixels MPEG-1 (Same as the VCD Standard) is DVD compliant.
Please spend two seconds and look up the specification. All the formats
listed in my previous post are DVD COMPLIANT.
Please reread this:
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here with conversions from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD).

This is TTD's policy because a VCD is the video equivalent of mp3. We are trying to maintain standards here, it does not matter that it is DVD compliant. Many CD players can now play mp3s but we still don't allow them here. Same thing for VCDs. Not sure how much clearer this can be.

You may think these standards are arbitrary and wrong but they are there for a reason. If you have a problem with that then take your torrent over to thepiratebay or something.
Old 2007-03-01, 10:38 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
Please reread this:
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here with conversions from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD).

This is TTD's policy because a VCD is the video equivalent of mp3. We are trying to maintain standards here, it does not matter that it is DVD compliant. Many CD players can now play mp3s but we still don't allow them here. Same thing for VCDs. Not sure how much clearer this can be.

You may think these standards are arbitrary and wrong but they are there for a reason. If you have a problem with that then take your torrent over to thepiratebay or something.
Not my torrent. Doesn't anyone here have the ability to construct a valid
thought? A DVD produced from any compliant file IS A FUCKING DVD.
Any MPEG video is lossy and would qualify as the "equivalent of mp3".

What I have a problem with is the wording of your rule. The torrent as
uploaded was produced as a DVD. Change your wording to read:

"Only DVDs produced from MPEG-2 files will be allowed here."

But wait! What about these other evil DVD compliant files???

NTSC:
352 × 480 pixels MPEG-2 (Called Half-D1, same as the China Video Disc standard)
352 × 240 pixels MPEG-2

Your rule is arbitrary. Period.

Take your attitude over to www.gofuckyourself.com. Not sure how much clearer this can be.
Old 2007-03-02, 03:58 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Calm down showtaper

DvD stands for Digital VERSATILE Disc ok ,meaning that it able to do or be used for many things.But it must be "compliant" for it to play.

So yes,a VCD is DvD compliant meaning only that it will play if you put it on a "DvD" disc....but a VCD is NOT DvD standard.
Best scenario is that if no re-encoding took place,then it was recorded as a Mpeg 1 VCD ,that is DvD compliant...NOT a DvD mpeg2 "STANDARD"

compliant vs standard is your point that you are questioning and at TTD we only accept STANDARD

Getting it yet??

K_K

So your www.gofuckyourself comment to a mod is not really correct either.

Try looking at www.imustlearnwhatiknowfuckallabout.com

Last edited by KoolKat; 2007-03-02 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2007-03-02, 06:05 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

simple as this showtaper, the show yer talking about is below our standards...whether or not it is compliant in regards to playability makes no difference...despite the fact that all these formats you keep bringing up are "compliant", they are NOT the standard...honestly, i would guess less than 1% of all professional DVDs produced last year were sourced from footage with one of those specs [and thats probly generous]...

as for our rules, we don't say anything re: any file that's compliant, we specify none that are from VCD/SVCD/DivX etc spec'd material, which this show is from

yes, all DVDs are lossy, which is why we only allow "the best" in regards to the MPEG codec suite [and you know which that is]...fact of the matter, a 352x240 MPEG1 is not going to have near the quality as a 720x480 MPEG2...you can argue all you want, but that is the simple truth

whether or not you don't like the wording, sure maybe we could change it...but up to this point, everyone has understood what we meant by that rule...and so do you, i have a feeling...but i'm sure we could edit it
Old 2007-03-02, 06:59 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
simple as this showtaper, the show yer talking about is below our standards...whether or not it is compliant in regards to playability makes no difference...despite the fact that all these formats you keep bringing up are "compliant", they are NOT the standard...honestly, i would guess less than 1% of all professional DVDs produced last year were sourced from footage with one of those specs [and thats probly generous]...

as for our rules, we don't say anything re: any file that's compliant, we specify none that are from VCD/SVCD/DivX etc spec'd material, which this show is from

yes, all DVDs are lossy, which is why we only allow "the best" in regards to the MPEG codec suite [and you know which that is]...fact of the matter, a 352x240 MPEG1 is not going to have near the quality as a 720x480 MPEG2...you can argue all you want, but that is the simple truth

whether or not you don't like the wording, sure maybe we could change it...but up to this point, everyone has understood what we meant by that rule...and so do you, i have a feeling...but i'm sure we could edit it
Actually, when I'm in a shit mood, I just like to fuck with people.

Just keep those 23rd generation VHS transfers coming folks, as long as
they are Traders Den compliant, they are "the best".....
Old 2007-03-02, 09:41 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Here you go...borrow this m8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackboard.JPG
( 6.3 KB, 347 views)

Old 2007-03-02, 10:41 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

That you're fun, for an idiot.

I was just pointing out that your rule is self-contradictory and should
be revised to accurately reflect the requirements.

Never said I didn't like it, never said I didn't understand it. I said it was
wrong and it still is. Want me to explain what is contradictory about
your rule one more time?? Or don't you understand??
Old 2007-03-02, 11:52 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I went and revised the rule to make it (hopefully) more specific. I hope this helps explain what we are asking for.

Old 2007-03-03, 07:49 AM
472.60 GB/420.87 GB/0.89

I think it was clear enough already.. showtaper said it himself in the first post:
"The file in the torrent was listed as MPEG-1" MPEG-1 is not up to standards. it's VCD encoding.
there is nothing hard to understand about that, especially after it was explained (I counted 8 times).
Old 2007-03-03, 10:44 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

All of the "technobabble" I do not understand but thought Id toss my 2 cents out there anyway.I agree with the mods.If they say a particular show isnt up to TDD standards and they dont want it here makes sense to me.I would only want th highest possible quality in my collection and I think that is the same thing that they are after.Ive gotton so much "junk" from other sites that just ended up being tossed in the trash because they were "lossy".As for my personal experiences with the staff here,they seem to be trying to protect the integrity of what is traded or uploaded here so that it dosent get spread around like some kind of virus.Also,seeing how they do all of the "work" around here with no pay,etc just so we can get some good honest quality music/video, I respect their wishes.Like I said, thats just my 2 cents.
Old 2007-03-03, 12:27 PM
800.33 GB/681.77 GB/0.85

Whats funny to me is that the person who posted the Tull torrent here mentioned in the initial post that he thought the DVD was not allowed due to the MPEG1 origin and to have the mods pull it if it isnt up to spec. Then we have someone else whining about it.

too funny...
Old 2007-03-03, 02:47 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

I think it's just showtaper's time of the month.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions