The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-23, 08:57 AM
Busting Ghosts GTA Style
111.64 GB/101.11 GB/0.91

M$ Access Database for Archiving

Ok, I'm lazy.... & I don't understand Access too well. What I'm looking for is an Access database that I can use to catalogue all my FLACs, SHNs, DVDs, Music Vids etc. Have any of ye incredibly technically gifted guys/gals developed anything like that? I know there are dedicated prog's out there for these but I can't afford to buy one & also, I reckon sooner or later someone will come along with the ultimate free bootleg database program like what happened with Trader's Little Helper (one of the best programs in years to hit this community).

Any help, links, abuse etc appreciated
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-23, 09:44 AM
35.58 GB/62.83 GB/1.77

Re: M$ Access Database for Archiving

http://web.archive.org/web/http://mi...ersion/2up.pdf is a very good tutorial I learnt from for a recent project. Goes into way more detail than you'd need. I know you didn't want to learn, but if you gave this a read you may find it easier than you expected. You'd be able to personalise it to, and I imagine that anyone else who's done this may well have included personalised features that may not tie in with your own needs.
Old 2005-05-23, 09:53 AM
Wooooooooooot!
42.95 GB/73.16 GB/1.70

If you want to do it in a MS Application, it would be much easier in Excel and you could set it up with built in functions and even just one assigned sheet for each artist. In Excel it would be a fraction of the size also.

HERE is a PHP/SQL script that could be easily modified to suit your needs.

Thanks,

Hal
Old 2005-05-23, 05:55 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Please ignore this post as I am just venting a personal pet peeve:

Spreadsheets are your best choice when you need to work with your data to make calculations, analyze or project possible outcomes.

Databases are your best choice if you have a large amount of data to work with and you don’t need to analyze it.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-05-24, 08:04 PM
Cool Breeze
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon6 Re: M$ Access Database for Archiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23
Ok, I'm lazy.... & I don't understand Access too well. What I'm looking for is an Access database that I can use to catalogue all my FLACs, SHNs, DVDs, Music Vids etc. Have any of ye incredibly technically gifted guys/gals developed anything like that? I know there are dedicated prog's out there for these but I can't afford to buy one & also, I reckon sooner or later someone will come along with the ultimate free bootleg database program like what happened with Trader's Little Helper (one of the best programs in years to hit this community).

Any help, links, abuse etc appreciated
At the moment I'm trying to work on an Access database because just with TLH I reckon that at some stage someone out there will come up with the ultimate trader's cataloging tool & Access is the most generic program to convert from if that happens. Having said that, it's pain in the ass to try & understand [/quote]

Hey Squire, Cool Breeze here. I might have what you're looking for. I've been developing a media database using MS Access for some time now. I had to do this cause I couldn't find anything out there that would satisfy my needs. I've been archiving since the days of reel to reel. I'm fairly new to the digital realm but am catching up day by day.

Anyway, this database will store a variety of info about any media. It does report generation, runs a myriad of queries and has a host of other options. The interface is smooth and you don't need to be an Access wiz to use it. In fact, you don't need to have Access to use it. I also have written a SHORT instruction manual to help you along. If this sounds like something you might want to look at I could possibly get one set up to use for 30 days and ship it off to you. The feedback would be most helpful because I was thinking of possibly marketing this in the near future. I don't know about just making it freeware. It's taken quite a few years to assemble this.
Old 2005-05-26, 12:17 PM
Cool Breeze
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon6 Re: M$ Access Database for Archiving

Hey Squire, Cool Breeze here. I might have what you're looking for. I've been developing a media database using MS Access for some time now. I had to do this cause I couldn't find anything out there that would satisfy my needs. I've been archiving since the days of reel to reel. I'm fairly new to the digital realm but am catching up day by day.

Anyway, this database will store a variety of info about any media. It does report generation, runs a myriad of queries and has a host of other options. The interface is smooth and you don't need to be an Access wiz to use it. In fact, you don't need to have Access to use it. I also have written a SHORT instruction manual to help you along. If this sounds like something you might want to look at I could possibly get one set up to use for 30 days and ship it off to you. The feedback would be most helpful because I was thinking of possibly marketing this in the near future. I don't know about just making it freeware. It's taken quite a few years to assemble this.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble