The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2018-05-24, 12:31 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamAmerica.com View Post
I need some help. I am unsure exactly how to fix SBEs. I am going through some of my 2005 Pearl Jam FLAC shows released by Nugs a couple years back and they are riddled with SBEs.

What settings should I be using? Here is an example of the SBE output for one of the shows.
If you use the "fix" feature in the dropdown box in TLH when you're converting your files, it will append (add) the data outside of the sector boundary to the beginning of the next track. We're talking fractions of 1/75th of a second here, so the resulting files shouldn't sound too different. Being a live show with applause between tracks, fix should keep a gapless fileset ready for CD burning. If you use "pad" it will add null samples (silence) to round up to the next sector boundary CD frame 1/75th of a second, which will make little hesitations in the files of a live show. No good!

Does that help?
Old 2018-05-24, 01:09 AM
1.01 GB/49.80 MB/0.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
If you use the "fix" feature in the dropdown box in TLH when you're converting your files, it will append (add) the data outside of the sector boundary to the beginning of the next track. We're talking fractions of 1/75th of a second here, so the resulting files shouldn't sound too different. Being a live show with applause between tracks, fix should keep a gapless fileset ready for CD burning. If you use "pad" it will add null samples (silence) to round up to the next sector boundary CD frame 1/75th of a second, which will make little hesitations in the files of a live show. No good!

Does that help?
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Should I be checking the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes"?

What should I select in the ACTION dropdown? It has shift backward, shift forward & round as options. I don't know what this stuff is or what it means or what I should use of it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2018-05-24, 03:56 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois truffaut View Post
Can you let me know what these mean

Audience
(Recorded with a microphone from the audience)

Soundboard
(rec with a direct feed from the soundboard/mixing desk in the venue)

Pre-FM
(Radio stations would record concerts for later broadcast. These would be stored on magnetic tape or similar. A pre-FM is taken directly from one of these tapes - i.e. it hasn't been 'broadcast' over the air, but taken from the source that preceded the broadcast

FM Broadcast
(Someone has recorded this from a broadcast on an FM band 'over the air' using a radio tuner and recorder)

Matrix
(Combination of AUD and SBD sources mixed together)

Studio
(Something recorded within a genuine recording studio, such as would be used by professionals to record their albums)

IEM/ALD
(Recorded from an Inner Ear Monitor system or Assisted Listening Device)

Multi Track Stereo
(Similar to Studio, but taken from original multi-track tapes)
Old 2018-05-24, 12:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJamAmerica.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post

Does that help?
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Should I be checking the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes"?

What should I select in the ACTION dropdown? It has shift backward, shift forward & round as options. I don't know what this stuff is or what it means or what I should use of it.
a) Important: Always fix SBEs per CD, do not fix the whole fileset. So fix tracks 1-01 to 1-09, then tracks 2-10 to 2-23, and finally tracks 3-24 to 3-37.

b) Check the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes". Should work without doing this because usually your CD burner will do the padding, but you never know...

c) Just use the default setting in the "Action" dropbox (backward).
Old 2018-05-24, 03:54 PM
1.01 GB/49.80 MB/0.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
a) Important: Always fix SBEs per CD, do not fix the whole fileset. So fix tracks 1-01 to 1-09, then tracks 2-10 to 2-23, and finally tracks 3-24 to 3-37.

b) Check the box that says "Pad last file with zero-bytes". Should work without doing this because usually your CD burner will do the padding, but you never know...

c) Just use the default setting in the "Action" dropbox (backward).
Thanks so much for the reply and information roann I appreciate this software too. I hope someday you find interest or time in updating this tool.
Old 2018-09-08, 08:49 AM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

Since about a month, I have no idea why, I have to manually restore integration of TLH into Windows Explorer context menu every time I start my PC. Does anyone know if there's a solution for this? I have it checked under Options > Preferences > Shell integration so that's not the reason.
Old 2018-09-08, 02:15 PM
The Great Destroyer
770.29 GB/629.06 GB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernod View Post
Since about a month, I have no idea why, I have to manually restore integration of TLH into Windows Explorer context menu every time I start my PC. Does anyone know if there's a solution for this? I have it checked under Options > Preferences > Shell integration so that's not the reason.
I don't know, but did you try a clean install of TLH (uninstall, reboot PC then reinstall)? Did you perhaps install any other programs around that time that are messing up with TLH?
Old 2018-09-11, 01:25 PM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

A clean install did the trick, thanks. Something messed it up for sure but I have no idea what, it's worked just fine for years.
Old 2018-09-14, 03:37 PM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

Spoke too soon. Same problem again, clean install didnt solve it.
Old 2018-09-16, 08:59 AM
6.89 TB/17.21 TB/2.50

I was using Trader's Little Helper Version 2.7.0 today to convert some .shn files to
> FLAC, and I ran into a problem. It worked fine for the first couple of
> shows I was converting, but all of a sudden TLH showed that the files
> had been successfully converted with no errors, but when I went to the
> destination folder, it was empty. I tried converting them to the same
> folder, and when it was finished only the original .shn files were
> there.

> I tried uninstalling TLH and re-installing it, but it's still the same.

> Anyone got an idea what to do?
Old 2018-10-06, 02:14 AM
456.52 GB/556.82 GB/1.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernod View Post
Suddenly, without explanation, it started working again. Thanks for listening.
Old 2018-10-23, 05:54 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

New release (2.8.0.178)

Just released TLH v2.8.0 (build 178).

It's a maintenance release, so no new features. Some fixes and tweaks. Latest FLAC and MP3 decoders/encoders.

In previous releases settings cannot be saved and shell integration cannot be restored if the user account belongs to the Standard User group, or, under Windows Vista and higher with UAC enabled, belongs to the Administrators group. For these tasks it's not required anymore to execute TLH via "Run as administrator...". Now the program will automatically open a UAC elevation prompt to ask for the rights needed.

Robert
Old 2018-10-25, 02:49 PM
TheD00d
TTD VIP
2.43 TB/265.62 TB/109.27

thanks roann for all your hard work

now integrate it into a shell like some other apps =)
Old 2018-11-07, 08:46 PM
ironchef
33.63 GB/73.02 GB/2.17

After my old PC died, I'm finally getting all my usual programs loaded on the new machine. The only one I'm having trouble downloading is TLH b/c Windows Defender thinks it's a virus. Before I go and bypass the WD warning, is there a better place to grab TLH than http://tlh.easytree.org ?

Thanks,

Ironchef
Old 2018-11-10, 02:34 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
After my old PC died, I'm finally getting all my usual programs loaded on the new machine. The only one I'm having trouble downloading is TLH b/c Windows Defender thinks it's a virus. Before I go and bypass the WD warning, is there a better place to grab TLH than http://tlh.easytree.org ?

Thanks,

Ironchef
http://tlh.easytree.org is the only place where you should download the TLH installer, because this is the official TLH homepage.

Virus/trojan/malware warnings are false positives!

Up to v2.7.0 TLH is a single file (tralih.exe). With v2.8.0 (the latest release) there is a second file called external.exe. It is required for the Options menu (tasks that need elevated rights).

Both tralih.exe and external.exe are compressed .exe files (same compressor app, same settings). Compressor apps exist for many years, but still some AV/Anti-Trojan/Malware apps detect whatever malicious when scanning a compressed .exe file. tralih.exe passes the scan, but external.exe sometimes does not. No idea, why...

So, set an exception for external.exe in your security app. Or use TLH without external.exe: you won't be able to use the features in the Options menu, but all other features will work because they do not need external.exe. Or downgrade to TLH v2.7.0.

Robert

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper