The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-09-30, 03:34 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

Some uploading questions

I'm currently seeding a bunch of shows on Dimeadozen that I uploaded which have pretty much run their course after a week or so. I was thinking of stopping my uploads over there and uploading them over here. I only have limited harddrive space and soon have to take them down altogether so I can seed more stuff though.

My first question is - is it OK/allowed for me to seed the stuff I already seeded on dime here? I don't know why not but I want to make sure I don't violate any rules, I only recently got into bittorrenting.

Also if it is OK to do, I was wondering if it was even worthwhile or not, since I would guess that most people here also have Dime accounts and if they wanted any of those seeds they would have already got them via Dime, yes or no? If "yes" then it would be waste of time and probably make more sense for me to just pick new stuff to seed here instead.

And (hopefully) last Q for now - if I do seed the stuff from Dime here, am I correct in understanding that I should delete the original "unpersonalized" .torrent file I used to start them on dime and make a new one with a new "announce" URL for tradersden to use here - or is there a way to change that in the file somehow (I am using v1.8 of utorrent)?

Thanks for any answers.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-09-30, 03:55 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Some uploading questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
My first question is - is it OK/allowed for me to seed the stuff I already seeded on dime here? I don't know why not but I want to make sure I don't violate any rules, I only recently got into bittorrenting.
Sure it's OK. If you aren't the original seeder, you should usually let the torrent run it's course on the site you got it from (there are exceptions like when some mega popular torrent shows up - LZ last December comes to mind). If you are the original seeder, then it's really up to you to decide if you want to seed it on several sites at a time or space them out by a few days or whatever.

Quote:
Also if it is OK to do, I was wondering if it was even worthwhile or not, since I would guess that most people here also have Dime accounts and if they wanted any of those seeds they would have already got them via Dime, yes or no? If "yes" then it would be waste of time and probably make more sense for me to just pick new stuff to seed here instead.
Well, yes, a lot of users here also have accounts on Dime. But, a lot of users also don't. Dime has a cap on their registration and so sometimes it is hard for users to get an account there. Lots of show are seeded on several trackers simply because many users have a 'preferred' tracker that maybe they check everyday as compared to others that they maybe check every couple of days or once a week.

Quote:
And (hopefully) last Q for now - if I do seed the stuff from Dime here, am I correct in understanding that I should delete the original "unpersonalized" .torrent file I used to start them on dime and make a new one with a new "announce" URL for tradersden to use here - or is there a way to change that in the file somehow (I am using v1.8 of utorrent)?

Thanks for any answers.
Yes, you should make a new torrent to seed the show here with the ttd announce url. Don't try to change it in the .torrent file or you will most likely mess something up (you can't just change the url, there is more to it than that).

Old 2008-09-30, 06:09 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

THANKS very much for the answers :-)

Yes, I am asking about stuff I am the original uploader of. I'll pick one or two of those that still have other seeders but no takers for days and see if anyone wants 'em here.

Cheers!
Old 2008-09-30, 06:10 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Make sure you read the seeding guidelines!

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...item#faq_rules

Different sites have different requirements.
Old 2008-09-30, 06:22 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

Hey I just noticed something.

I'm building my new .torrent file to do an upload for tradersden. In T.L.H. I see there is an option for "Peers source" that is set to "single tracker". I never paid this any mind b4 but looking now I see it has options for "multiple trackers".

Am I right in assuming that I could have selected "multiple trackers" on that when I first seeded this to Dime and then (somehow) seeded it on BOTH Dime and Tradersden at the SAME time? (Going up to each site seperately & using my same .torrent file to start the upload to both places)?

Also does that mean that people that would then connect to me from Dime, and also from Tradersden, then all share the files amongst EACH other regardless of where they came from - or would the Dime users be segregated from the TD users? If they all connect together then that must mean that we can get these out faster right? Regardless of that (whether the connections are segrated by tracker) I may want to just seed some stuff that way going forward, get the shows out to more people, faster, get my ratio up here too all at the same time. Or is there something I am overlooking about that and it has some kind of drawback? (I am new to all this). Or am I just totally confused (yes I am new to all this!)
Old 2008-09-30, 06:25 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Make sure you read the seeding guidelines!

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...item#faq_rules

Different sites have different requirements.
Right! I am pretty sure the stuff I want to offer up here are OK. I have read over the FAQ but it does take time for all to sink in. It seems to me that Dime is more restrictive than TD though, and if something is acceptable on Dime it most likely should be ok here. If there are some ez points to remember about where TD might be more restrictive than Dime though please tell me!

I will start off slow though, just one show to start, see how it goes, make sure all is kosher.
Old 2008-09-30, 06:45 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
If there are some ez points to remember about where TD might be more restrictive than Dime though please tell me!
Dime allows minidisc, we do not.

Dime allows satellite radio broadcast, we do not.

We require lineage for every show, Dime does not.
Old 2008-09-30, 07:09 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

THANKS!

I'm not a MD taper so OK on that one (I use a DAT), and I put the lineage in my TXT files so OK there too. I'll keep away from broadcasts and just seed my DAT recordings for now.

I'm working now on getting a DVD seed together for Dime that was audience shot with my audience DAT sound replacing the horribly distorted video sound. Is that OK here? I will be reading and rereading the FAQs on that one but figured I might as well ask too. If it is OK and I can figure out multiple tracker seeding maybe I will do that in both places at once.
Old 2008-09-30, 11:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Hey I just noticed something.

I'm building my new .torrent file to do an upload for tradersden. In T.L.H. I see there is an option for "Peers source" that is set to "single tracker". I never paid this any mind b4 but looking now I see it has options for "multiple trackers".

Am I right in assuming that I could have selected "multiple trackers" on that when I first seeded this to Dime and then (somehow) seeded it on BOTH Dime and Tradersden at the SAME time? (Going up to each site seperately & using my same .torrent file to start the upload to both places)?
I don't think this works when you have sites that have passkey (personalized torrents). Both Dime and TTD require a personalized torrent. You upload the torrent file you make, but then you download the personalized torrent from the site in order to seed the show. Dime cannot personalize that torrent file for the TTD tracker just as we can't personalize the torrent for Dime's tracker. Therefore, both the tracker urls in the torrent cannot be personalized when you download the torrent file to seed the show.

It only means you need to make two torrent files. You don't need to duplicate the files or anything.

Old 2008-10-01, 02:39 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
I'm working now on getting a DVD seed together for Dime that was audience shot with my audience DAT sound replacing the horribly distorted video sound. Is that OK here?
Of course it is OK. However, please ensure that the video is not going to be re-encoded. What software do you use?
Old 2008-10-01, 02:06 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I don't think this works when you have sites that have passkey (personalized torrents). Both Dime and TTD require a personalized torrent. You upload the torrent file you make, but then you download the personalized torrent from the site in order to seed the show. Dime cannot personalize that torrent file for the TTD tracker just as we can't personalize the torrent for Dime's tracker. Therefore, both the tracker urls in the torrent cannot be personalized when you download the torrent file to seed the show.

It only means you need to make two torrent files. You don't need to duplicate the files or anything.

Thanks, I understand! Use same file source directory, but 2 seperate .torrent files and I can seed in both places at once, although the clients will all be seperated by tracker.
Old 2008-10-01, 02:16 PM
78.28 GB/639.31 GB/8.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
Of course it is OK. However, please ensure that the video is not going to be re-encoded. What software do you use?
That is a good question. I did not do the mastering work on it so I do not know how exactly it was done. And I'm not in contact anymore with the guy that did it to ask him. I do have the original unmastered DVD, plus the new one with the audio changed + menus added.

I am familiar with using "Gspot" to get info for seeding on Dime (I've already seeded 2 other videos up there, but those without anything fancy done to them like this though). Are there parameters I could look at and compare in Gspot (like say "video bitrate", "frame rate", or "resolution") that would confirm there was no re-encoding/quality loss done to the new version vs. the original?

THANKS!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble