The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-26, 07:35 PM
182.74 GB/76.74 GB/0.42

Ports Open - Yellow Light Question

I have read the FAQs here and at STG and I still have a question. I am on a laptop with XP and I have opened all ports as per instructions. However, my light stays yellow. I don't think it has ever been green.

There is a main computer (my wife's) in the apartment which I am connected to through a router. Do I need to forward the ports on her machine as well to get a green light?

In other words, if the torrent info is coming into the house, is it going through her (probably firewalled) computer before being magically sent to mine?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-26, 08:11 PM
oasisrulesyo
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Ports Open - Yellow Light Question

Its deffo a port config problem. It has nothing to do with the PCs as the router will forward the ports on both machines automatically via the Admin panel. Since you're sharing a connection it has something to do with the router.

I had the same problem as well but I figured it out by going to the clients website and reading their forum as there were many people who had the same trouble.

I use Bit Tornado which is the one that was giving me the problem, check out their forum if you use BitTornado via their website and you'll get it fixed. If its another client the best I can suggest is to check out their forum if they have one.
Old 2004-12-26, 11:06 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Are you sure you are going through your wifes computer and then through the router to the internet? Not both of you going through the router to the internet? If you are going through your wifes computer, then hers needs to be forwarded also (that is a strange configuration though, you should both be able to go straight through the router normally).

One thing that could be causing problems if you are both going through the router and even though you have the ports forwarded is if you have not going to a static IP locally, as compared to using DHCP locally.

You didn't mention which router you use. Here's a good page for Linksys which is quite popular: http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

Old 2004-12-27, 09:42 AM
791.86 GB/10.16 TB/13.14

how does your internet get to your computer, your first post was a bit confusing. does it go like this?

cable modem (or dsl) -> router -> wife's computer
router - > your computer

or cable modem -> router -> wife's computer -> your computer?

if you're using the router, you should be able to connect your computer directly to it, and follow the port fowarding directions at:
http://portforward.com

also, if you're using BitTornado as a client, make sure to uncheck the 'randomize ports' option in Prefs, and enter the port range that you forwarded.
Old 2004-12-27, 02:21 PM
182.74 GB/76.74 GB/0.42

I believe it goes this way:

cable modem -> wife's computer -> router -> your computer

though (according to her) apparently the way it is hooked up, she needs the router also. in other words, if she unhooked the router, it would affect her service as well, not just mine.

I unchecked the "randomize ports" and right now the port range is 10000-60000. so when i download from EZT, the port number showing in red by my name in the list of leechers is often something like 23765, as opposed to some number between 6881 and 6889.

I do use Bit Tornado 0.3.7 although I have also used Azureus and had the same problem.

(Also even with the yellow light, my download speed seems pretty high, usually 40-50 kb/s depending on the other leechers of course, over 100 is not uncommon and it's gone as high as 170.)

I'm not very tech savvy, so what does all that mean?

Thanks for your time as always.
Old 2004-12-27, 02:34 PM
boogie chillun'
1.32 GB/184.09 MB/0.14

...that's quite weird

I thought it has been like this (more logical to me):

Code:
modem -> router -> wife's computer
               |-> your computer
Anyway, you have to forward those ports from your wife's computer to the router (no problem under Linux, but Windows.. hmmm) and from the router to your computer. I don't think it will increase the speed remarkably.

Last edited by kuba; 2004-12-27 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2004-12-28, 01:13 AM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsock
I believe it goes this way:

though (according to her) apparently the way it is hooked up, she needs the router also. in other words, if she unhooked the router, it would affect her service as well, not just mine.

I unchecked the "randomize ports" and right now the port range is 10000-60000. so when i download from EZT, the port number showing in red by my name in the list of leechers is often something like 23765, as opposed to some number between 6881 and 6889.

I do use Bit Tornado 0.3.7 although I have also used Azureus and had the same problem.

(Also even with the yellow light, my download speed seems pretty high, usually 40-50 kb/s depending on the other leechers of course, over 100 is not uncommon and it's gone as high as 170.)

I'm not very tech savvy, so what does all that mean?

Thanks for your time as always.

No offence but if you can't even explain to us how your connection is setup no one is going to be able to help you. You need to stop figure things out then come back to us. If you have a router there is no reason to be going trough your wifes computer step one would be to get yourself hooked straight into the router.
Old 2004-12-28, 10:41 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

One thing to do would be to get both your wifes and your IPs. That should give us some indication of how it is set up, I think....

I'll assume you are on a PC..... Start > run > cmd . That should bring up a terminal window. Then to get your IP address type "ipconfig" (without the quotes). Hopefully both of your machines come up with an address that looks like 192.168.1.xxx . I *think* if they both look like that, then they are both connected to the router and then the router is connected to the cable modem.

Can you check that for us?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble