The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-13, 07:08 PM
audiophil
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Storing your shows?

Hey,

I have a question. In the past I would burn every show as an audio cd and store it appropriately. That was before I got a DVD burner. Now that I have a DVD burner would anyone advise just storing all my SHNs and FLACs onto DVDs and then making audio cds whenever I really want one?

Cheers
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-13, 07:16 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Re: Storing your shows?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...hlight=storing

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...hlight=storing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-13, 07:17 PM
mint_clay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

in theory its a good idea. If you take good careful care of your disks, then yes it would work quite well. DVD in general is supposed to have better error correction for things like scratches and what not than CD, but your still putting a lot of eggs in one basket so to speak.

Kinda reminds me.. i have a cd player in my car, that plays mp3 encoded disks. Its f'in great, until i get a few scratches on the cd and suddenly i have a ton of songs with glitches or that cant be read. Thats about the only downside though.
Old 2005-04-13, 07:29 PM
audiophil
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I think ill do that, ill backup everything to DVDr. Lucky for me most of my shows are still on my 160GB HD, so i dont need to rip from CD then burn to DVD for most of the shows.

Seeing how cheap DVD-Rs are these days (online bulk orders) I figure I could even make 2 copies of my favorite bands if im worried of having all my eggs in one basket and STILL save time and space.
Old 2005-04-13, 07:35 PM
mint_clay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil
I think ill do that, ill backup everything to DVDr. Lucky for me most of my shows are still on my 160GB HD, so i dont need to rip from CD then burn to DVD for most of the shows.

Seeing how cheap DVD-Rs are these days (online bulk orders) I figure I could even make 2 copies of my favorite bands if im worried of having all my eggs in one basket and STILL save time and space.
that is very true. Also heard from my friend one time (he saw it on tv or something) where they make some kind of sleeve or cover for dvds and/or cds that you can put them in to protect from scratches, and not have to take it off when u play the disk. Anyone know what i'm talkin about? like what its called?
Old 2005-04-13, 07:39 PM
Embrace Rhythmism
110.14 GB/302.75 GB/2.75

Technobabble...

Warning: Collision with natural or manmade objects can result in catastrophic injury or death.
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?
See the løveli lakes, The wøndërful telephøne system
And mäni interesting furry animals, Including the majestik møøse
Old 2005-04-14, 12:14 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint_clay
that is very true. Also heard from my friend one time (he saw it on tv or something) where they make some kind of sleeve or cover for dvds and/or cds that you can put them in to protect from scratches, and not have to take it off when u play the disk. Anyone know what i'm talkin about? like what its called?
DVD-RAM
I got one burner that takes them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
Way back when, my first NEC 3X CD reader took CD caddys they never caught on though
as opposed to

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper

Last edited by diggrd; 2005-04-14 at 12:23 AM.
Old 2005-04-14, 01:20 AM
mint_clay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
DVD-RAM
I got one burner that takes them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
Way back when, my first NEC 3X CD reader took CD caddys they never caught on though
as opposed to

nahhhh thats not what i was thinking of. I was thinking of an actual sleeve you insert a normal dvd/cd into that is like a real thin protective layer, that you can then put into a drive and it is still readable. Maybe i'm on crack and this hasnt been invented yet.. Maybe i should shut up.. hmm.
Old 2005-04-14, 01:31 AM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
nahhhh thats not what i was thinking of. I was thinking of an actual sleeve you insert a normal dvd/cd into that is like a real thin protective layer, that you can then put into a drive and it is still readable. Maybe i'm on crack and this hasnt been invented yet.. Maybe i should shut up.. hmm.
I'm picturing what you're picturing, and I'm not certain anything like that could work. I've got an image in my head of the sleeve getting wadded up in the drive
Old 2005-04-14, 01:36 AM
mint_clay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsljunkie
I'm picturing what you're picturing, and I'm not certain anything like that could work. I've got an image in my head of the sleeve getting wadded up in the drive

yeah i would think the same thing too, but if you think about it being reeeeeealllly thin and clear.. maybe kinda sticky like plastic wrap.. hmm i dunno
Old 2005-04-14, 01:41 AM
audiophil
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Sorry, ill post in technobabble next time. Its been a while since STG went down, I forgot.

Since this is still here I'll ask a second question.

You know in those fancy CD/DVD cases that hold like 100 CDs or whatever? Ok so when you put a DVD in there, the DVD is sandwhiched between a peice of plastic on the outside and this soft material on that makes contact with the bottom of the DVD/CD. Still with me? Sorry its late so this might be nonsense.

Anyways, is that soft scratch protecting material that the bottom of my DVD touches going to hurt my DVD is stored for years? Is that material known to have any reactions to cds? I know that people dont like writing on the top of their CDs/DVDs because the ink can ruin the CD/DVD after years have passed by. Does anything similar happen with these cases?

Sorry, im sleepy. Ignore if that is just babbling to you.
Old 2005-04-14, 02:00 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
this is the first thing i thought of when i read your post:

http://www.cdcreationsupplies.com/pl...rotectors.html

is that it?

Does anybody remember laughter?
11 Dirty Secrets
Old 2005-04-14, 02:59 AM
mint_clay
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx
this is the first thing i thought of when i read your post:

http://www.cdcreationsupplies.com/pl...rotectors.html

is that it?
thats very close, it may very well be, like i said i heard about this from a friend so who knows. He made it sound like it was something that covered the entire disk though, not just the label side.
Old 2005-04-14, 03:27 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
thats very close, it may very well be, like i said i heard about this from a friend so who knows. He made it sound like it was something that covered the entire disk though, not just the label side.
Well since the label side is where the foil layer is that would protect that but a scratch on the read side is still gonna happen

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-04-14, 11:29 AM
40.35 GB/56.27 GB/1.39

http://www.123electronics.com/PT_default.asp?PID=35

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble