The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-28, 12:16 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Still can't download anything after a month...

somebody is keeping the traffic away from you.. likely because they detect p2p traffic. uTorrent has some ways to spoof that... you can start by not using the default port. The utorrent site has some details on the other tricks in the documentation.

I have found that in situations where the network admin was not very good that I could use port 80 for BT and it would scream right through. Also try port 21 (those are the generic http and ftp ports).

You problem is that you are on the college's resnet and they don't want you using p2p on it. That's going to damper your BT activities unless you can find the magic hole the admin may have left open.
Old 2006-11-28, 12:26 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Uh oh, you said a Bad Word - college server. They are getting better and better a preventing torrenting. I would try changing your port numbers and seeing if that helps. Then, if you know others on campus that use bittorrent, ask if they are having problems. And, if you know someone off campus, ask them if you can try out a torrent there and see if it works.

edit: James just reminded me of something else you can try - go to Options > Preferences > BitTorrent tab. Then, under Protocol Encryption, try setting that to Enabled (actually, just play with the different settings there because I'm really not certain exactly what to try but I know it's that setting.)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-28, 12:40 AM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

changing a port in most cases will have no effect, but it's always good to try
Old 2006-11-28, 01:04 AM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbLuck
changing a port in most cases will have no effect, but it's always good to try
I should be clearer here and say that I actually tried to be slick one time (imagine that ) and tried configuring uTorrent to port 21, the FTP port. I noticed that FTP uploads and downloads were going at rather fast speeds, around 2-3 MBs/s. I didn't expect to get those speeds with P2P, but I figured it might be worth the try to see if that port was left untouched.

Well, I was wrong.

I think what happens is that once the server recognizes the data as P2P, it blocks automatically. But that's a little murky, and in fact I'm not 100% sure how that works. Really, I don't care so much, since I am quite capable of downloading the torrents, albeit at slow speeds, but uploading is a different story.....
Old 2006-11-28, 01:11 AM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
edit: James just reminded me of something else you can try - go to Options > Preferences > BitTorrent tab. Then, under Protocol Encryption, try setting that to Enabled (actually, just play with the different settings there because I'm really not certain exactly what to try but I know it's that setting.)
hey Lynne, I flipped that option to enabled and it appears to have worked, I saw a speed adjustment from 15 kb/s to around 100 kb/s.

Interesting.....
Old 2006-11-28, 01:30 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

maybe it will work for DCbmx17 as well....

who knows, maybe all he needs is a little DumbLuck to help him out

(groan)
Old 2006-11-28, 09:38 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Oh James...

I hope that does work out for you DumbLuck. I hate that some of these ISPs promise us certain speeds and then decide to try to throttle us just because we actually try to put all that speed to use!

Old 2006-11-28, 09:41 AM
DCbmx 17
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ok well I did that preference thing and switched it to forced and all the sudden I got two people to connect on different torrents and they're downloading fast as hell....

Damn I'm finally getting my Hendrix, thanks alot for the help.
Old 2006-11-28, 10:13 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

3 cheers for uTorrent
Old 2006-11-28, 10:35 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

(BTW, Azureus also has this encryption option)

Old 2006-11-28, 11:14 AM
77.81 GB/134.92 GB/1.73

Promotion for Azureus = Apple user

Lynne, I am on a network connection like DCbmx 17, so technically no ISP locally is involved in my case.

I'm still a bit curious about this option, since the torrent I was downloading had many seeders. I'm still firewalled (not what the feature is meant for to begin with which I knew), but if this option did allow for the faster transfer rates, than this is great.
Old 2006-11-28, 11:33 AM
DCbmx 17
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah before my fastest speed was like 2 kb/s
Old 2006-11-28, 11:53 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Here are a couple of articles/documents to explain encryption:

Encrypting Bittorrent to take out traffic shapers
BitTorrent protocol encryption

However, notice this part under the second link:

Many ISPs are now using more sophisticated measures (such as Deep packet inspection) to detect BitTorrent traffic. This means that even encrypted BitTorrent traffic is now throttled. However, for those using primitive methods to identify and throttle BitTorrent, the current solution remains extremely effective.

So, you may want to make sure you are always downloading the latest versions of your clients to stay ahead of these "more sophisticated measures." (Although, if it's just the university, they may not always be keeping up-to-date on this throttling.)

Old 2006-11-28, 01:43 PM
DCbmx 17
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah I go to a university, I know people that have gotten onto limewire through the network but no other P2Ps would work.
Old 2006-11-28, 02:43 PM
20.89 GB/11.41 GB/0.55

DCbmx 17, some of your downloads are shown as forced. Don't force any one, just do what I do, in this way you could download all the torrents you want, only you decide which ones to keep on getting and which ones you stop. So you don't need to force any download/upload, this is not recommended.

Change your settings in this way:

My client is in Spanish, so this is my screen:

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble