The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-04, 05:27 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Re: Firewalled....and hating it....PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO
And I don't even put ANYTHING on my computer that you could steal my identity with.....you could steal Music or wreak havoc with my system....I'll reformat....I just want to share what I have....and get a acceptable upload

P.S. spell check?
KPO-If all else fails...and you want to take an additional link out of the chain. Remove the router from it....meaning hook your computer directly up to the modem. If you're no longer showing as firewalled then you know where your problem is. If you're still showing firewalled, then you know where your problem isn't.
OR-Your router may have the option to place your computers IP address in what's called a "DMZ"...which basically means you're hooked directly to the net/bypassing the safety of a routers NAT. (Have to check your owners manual to see if it has a DMZ option). It'll give you the same troubleshooting result as above.

Mind you, I wouldn't make this suggestion as a long term fix and some people reading this may be dis-approving of the advice....you really have to realize that while directly hooked up you are at risk, but since you mention that you don't mind reformating if need be....when worse comes to worse, sometimes desperate measures are called for I suppose.

Also, flipping your XP firewall on/off/on while hooked directly up will also allow you to see if there is something you missed in regards to that that. Check in your "Windows Task Manager" to make sure that something isn't running in the background that you didn't think of.
Simplification is the key when troubleshooting. Take out unneccesary points until all is working and then add them back in.
Unfirewalled Computer>internet is about as simple as it gets....

Again, just to stress...hooking a computer up directly to the internet with no firewall can be dangerous to the computer so please keep this in mind as a possible outcome of "format C" and only do it if you're willing to take the risk.

Your emphasis on wanting to share is great to have and I'm sure everyone appreciates it. Full agreement with Lynne....until there's some breaking story on CNET about a torrent virus you should be ok.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:41 PM
a.k.a. CaddieO
486.73 GB/695.24 GB/1.43

Again I appreciate all the help everyone has offered....but, I think I give up, I'm just not techno-smart enough to take my efforts any further at this point.

And worse yet I have a Kat he likes Napz and he's crazier than I am
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-07, 08:06 PM
16.56 GB/89.45 GB/5.40

KPO I am also running on a 2wire 2700hg-b router. you might check to see if you are forwarded thru the firewall in the router.look in your network prefs and find the routers ip address. type that into the browser and it will take you to the routers setup page. from there you can setup the firewall to allow the BT client you use thru. hopfully this helps.. by default these routers are set to allow nothing thru
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble