The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-17, 03:18 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper:can't add/process files Rev2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanDK View Post
....and here's a screenshot from "Format/Encode" that more clearly shows my problem. This is a full screen screenshot.
I've tried combinations of screen resolution & font size; nothing has helped.
The TLH window is sizeable (with the mouse, for example). To see the "Add" button you just have to enlarge the size of the application window.

It is *very* strange that the window is too small because at startup TLH ensures to be opened with a size that is at least the one given at design time (a size all boxes, button, etc are visible).

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-17, 03:34 AM
36.98 GB/52.39 GB/1.42

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Not a big problem here, but is there a way to keep it from associating torrent files with itself?
I could re-associate my audio files with foobar2000, but I like to keep my torrent files unassociated with anything...just a quirk of mine.
Other than that it seems great so far. Thanks for freely sharing all your work !
Old 2007-12-17, 09:14 AM
1.05 TB/3.90 TB/3.73

Hi, I am having the exact same sizing problem as suburbanDK with Build 143 on an Windows XP machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 2007-12-17, 09:31 AM
4.92 GB/25.13 GB/5.10

First thing I tried....nope, resizing the window (either by mouse or going full screen, which is why I mentioned it one of my posts) does NOT work, it's definitely a problem with the program in my (and apparently at least one other) computer.

In the past when I've encountered this, setting fonts to "normal" and/or going to a lower resolution has helped; this doesn't help with TLH.

At this point, it's totally unusable.
Is there an earlier build I can try to see if the same thing happens?

subDK
Old 2007-12-17, 12:14 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman714 View Post
Not a big problem here, but is there a way to keep it from associating torrent files with itself?
I could re-associate my audio files with foobar2000, but I like to keep my torrent files unassociated with anything...just a quirk of mine...
You can remove *all* file associations via the Preferences dialog. You have to do this manually via Explorer's file options (or directly via Registry) if you want only a single type of file de-associated.

Quote:
First thing I tried....nope, resizing the window (either by mouse or going full screen, which is why I mentioned it one of my posts) does NOT work, it's definitely a problem with the program in my (and apparently at least one other) computer.

In the past when I've encountered this, setting fonts to "normal" and/or going to a lower resolution has helped; this doesn't help with TLH.
I recommend contacting me via email. Due to a water pipe burst in the appartment above mine that "flooded" two of my rooms the next about two weeks I won't be able to test or code a single line. I'm writing this on a friend's notebook, so please send me an email with *details*: screen resolution, font size, XP Theme if used, ... so I will be able to set my system to the same settings you use. It's the only way to see what happens on my side. But as said, you have to be patient ...

Quote:
Yes, there is, but I can't access the machine it's on because that machine was "killed" by the water :-((. It seems that the HD can be revived but not before the next week. In a nutshell: it's pure chaos over here ...

Robert
Old 2007-12-17, 02:35 PM
33.62 GB/48.84 GB/1.45

Quote:

subDK
I just found the same problem myself; I had a similar issue with MakeTorrent in that case it was the screen aspect ratio causing the problem. I suspect it's the same with TLH

So I've gone back to v1
Old 2007-12-18, 05:20 PM
4.92 GB/25.13 GB/5.10

Re: Trader's Little Helper, window sizing problem

What I found is that it's the Display DPI setting that was the problem:
Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Display

With 96 DPI, no problem,
with 120 DPI, the right portion of the windows are truncated and cannot be viewed.

I use this setting because my wife's legally blind with Best's disease and needs all the help she can get
(but hates to have HUGE fonts, etc. setup just for her).

subDK
Old 2007-12-19, 08:40 AM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Sorry to hear about the water issues. I work in construction and have dealt with water damage before. It sucks.

Thanks for TLH. I've used it for a while and it rocks.

I just changed my comp to XP pro. sp 2 and loaded THL 2.0.1 for the fist time. I was wondering if the tabs were eliminated or am I missing something.

Thanks for all the effort. Happy Holidays.
Attached Images
File Type: gif screen.gif
( 15.4 KB, 198 views)

------------------------------------
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
Old 2007-12-22, 01:34 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Audio - Studio Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep620 View Post
Sorry to hear about the water issues. I work in construction and have dealt with water damage before. It sucks.
Yeah, it's ... §%#!$ ...

Quote:
Thanks for TLH. I've used it for a while and it rocks.
Thanks!

Quote:
I just changed my comp to XP pro. sp 2 and loaded THL 2.0.1 for the fist time. I was wondering if the tabs were eliminated or am I missing something.
Tabs *are* eliminated, TLH now uses a special form of though reading ... no, just kidding. Use the (new) menu structure at the top of the TLH window.
For example, "Format" > "Decode audio files" or "Checksum" > "Create checksum file" ...

Robert
Old 2007-12-22, 10:50 PM
1.05 TB/3.90 TB/3.73

Quote:
What I found is that it's the Display DPI setting that was the problem:
Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Display

With 96 DPI, no problem,
with 120 DPI, the right portion of the windows are truncated and cannot be viewed.

I use this setting because my wife's legally blind with Best's disease and needs all the help she can get
(but hates to have HUGE fonts, etc. setup just for her).

subDK
I tried switching to 96 DPI, but it didn't help. Can someone please post a link as to where to download TLH v.1x? Thanks.
Old 2007-12-22, 11:44 PM
Zymocenosilicaphobic
29.67 GB/98.85 GB/3.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla View Post
I tried switching to 96 DPI, but it didn't help. Can someone please post a link as to where to download TLH v.1x? Thanks.
I could probably e-mail it. Send me a pm if you want me to try.

The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.
Old 2007-12-25, 10:04 AM
1.05 TB/3.90 TB/3.73

I am now running Version 1.1.1 (Build 90) and I am receiving the dreaded and seemingly random "Access violation at address XXXXXXXX in module RICHED20.dll" error message approximately every other time when I check for SBE's. This crashes the program and requires that I hit "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" to close it. Any ideas on how to avoid this issue? Thanks, and happy holidays.
Old 2007-12-30, 12:08 PM
25.06 GB/60.99 GB/2.43

First of all: Great program! Much easier to handle checksums for me now.

But: Why does the program mess upp my file associations and icons? I didn't even have a choice when installing to avoid it. Now I have to fix that manually - and I can't recommend this program to anyone with less computer knowledge than myself. Too bad!

And last: Happy New Year! to all of you!
Old 2007-12-31, 08:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkil View Post
First of all: Great program! Much easier to handle checksums for me now.
Thanks.

Quote:
But: Why does the program mess upp my file associations and icons?
The TLH installer does *not* do that at all (it never did). If icons are already associated with a *supported* file type the installer neither will install another icon nor change the existing link. The same for file associations of *supported* file types: existing associations will stay untouched, only in the file's context menu a TLH item is added. The only exception are some of the *supported* checksum file asscociations/icons.

Quote:
I didn't even have a choice when installing to avoid it.
You *do* have a choice because during setup you will be asked whether you want to integrate TLH into Windows Explorer or not. And if you won't be asked you've answered that question before in an earlier install.

Quote:
Now I have to fix that manually - and I can't recommend this program to anyone with less computer knowledge than myself. Too bad!
Not really because it seems there aren't so many people with less computer knowledge than you ...

Robert
Old 2008-01-03, 08:39 PM
Critical Darling
381.92 GB/790.73 GB/2.07

TLH 2.0.1 b143 seemed to wreak havoc with my file associations as other people have pointed out. It took over all .txt file associations. This was on an almost fresh load of Windows XP SP2 with all patches and very few other apps installed. For example, after installing TLH, I went to the Start Menu to open the Change Log ("C:\Program Files\Trader's Little Helper\changelog.txt") - the text file opened using TLH, instead of my default text editor. TLH had associated itself with the .txt extension somehow. I was able to fix it by manually going through and restoring each extension that TLH had taken over.

Also, in the newest version, when decoding FLAC, it flashes a DOS box for every file it decodes. This box goes right to the front instead of staying behind the active window. Kinda a pain if you're trying to do other tasks while files are decoding. I don't remember seeing the DOS box flash for every file decode in previous versions of TLH - it all seemed to be 'behind the scenes.'

I never had either of these issues with a previous version of TLH. And I'm not a PC noob either. I'm going to try to find a previous version and hope these kinks can be worked out. TLH is amazing and it's something I 'need' to use everyday.

Last edited by GregY; 2008-01-03 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarity

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper