The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-25, 02:22 AM
451.34 GB/178.28 GB/0.40

basic bit torrent questions

so i have this bit torrent software. i'm using bitconjurer I think (the green icon one).

i help others by keeping downloaded shows IN my queue, and not removing them? it seems to be working that way.

i realize downloading several shows at once can be slow & bad, and my torrent may not even recognize more than 4 at once.

this correct?

my real question is, how many fully downloaded shows can i keep in my tracker without bogging down my downloads?

does it not matter, since my upload speed is the same no matter how many shows i have in my tracker?

i'm still figuring the basics. also, i'm not grabbing "new" torrents, i'm catching up on old stuff where there isn't much ul/dl traffic.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-25, 02:46 AM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Re: basic bit torrent questions

i would keep 1 torrent open per 15kb of uploading bandwidth you have available... thats my rule of thumb anyway...

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Old 2007-05-25, 10:42 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: basic bit torrent questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
i would keep 1 torrent open per 15kb of uploading bandwidth you have available... thats my rule of thumb anyway...
Good advice! You can 'stop' some of your torrents and only turn 'on' a couple. Look to see how many peers and leechers there are on the torrent and that will help you choose which one(s) you should be uploading to. It's best to not upload to tons of torrents because then your upload speed to each is really, really low.

(Also, I'd like to recommend utorrent. It seems to be the client most used by PC users and I've only heard good things about it.)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble