The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2013-02-12, 03:39 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Not sure about this

Can you audio guys tell me what you make of this sample? This was the lineage given: fm > mc > cd > eac (secure) > wav > flac.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: flac sample.flac
( 1.30 MB, 17 views)

Old 2013-02-12, 12:58 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Not sure about this

There is no FM pilot tone present (19kHz), However there is a peak at 15.7kHz that is associated with flyback noise from NTSC (TV).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-02-12, 01:11 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

See link http://www.baudline.com/mystery_signal/12_answer.html
Old 2013-02-12, 04:48 PM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Thanks for taking a look mouse-man!
Old 2013-02-12, 06:25 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

You won't always see the FM pilot tone, post receiver. The tone is only used to tell the receiver to process the L-R subcarrier to recreate the 2 stereo channels from the mux.

Many units (decent ones) filter that off before the amplifier stage.
Old 2013-02-13, 06:32 AM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Thanks for your replies, so am I right to conclude the following: might not be FM (because of the missing FM pilot tone in combination with the peak at 15.7kHz lintoni mentioned earlier)? Okay, but would you say it's lossless or lossy?
Old 2013-02-13, 03:18 PM
lintoni
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

It looks lossless to me, though it would be easier to tell if the music was a bit 'denser'. Note also that the 15.7 kHz tone might not mean that it is a TV source, just that there was a TV on at some point during the analogue recording process. Some CRT TVs/monitors emit massive amounts of the flyback energy, such that it can be picked up during the (analogue) recording. Having said that, I would still think that it's likely to be sourced from TV. It might be worth checking to see if the recording is listed on db.etree.org and what (if any) sources are in circulation.
Old 2013-02-13, 04:01 PM
Purveyor of the Eclectic
TTD VIP
41.37 GB/5.66 TB/140.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
Can you audio guys tell me what you make of this sample? This was the lineage given: fm > mc > cd > eac (secure) > wav > flac.
Thanks.
Looks like it came from DAD....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock View Post
People suck. I'd rather look at memes and gifs of people doing stupid shit that confirms my misanthropic views than actually deal with their shit face to face.
Old 2013-02-13, 05:11 PM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshrk1 View Post
Looks like it came from DAD....
Actually it's from RT. I once tried tracking down a lineage of something, so I send a PM to the OP, what I got back was a lot of Irie mon's, Bill's, Yeah mon's and Tanks & Respects. The site administrator warned me beforehand that communicating with some of their members might be a bit difficult.
Old 2013-02-13, 05:37 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
Thanks for your replies, so am I right to conclude the following: might not be FM (because of the missing FM pilot tone in combination with the peak at 15.7kHz lintoni mentioned earlier)? Okay, but would you say it's lossless or lossy?

Might or might not be FM - the pilot should be filtered by the receiver, but many do not. so... Presence of 19 kHz pilot = FM, Lack of pilot = not necessarily either way.

the 15.7kHz noise pretty much tells us there was an analog transfer along the way, at some point, close to a CRT.

nice and lossless, though.

so, you just have a possible lineage issue. The recording quality is acceptable.
Old 2013-02-14, 03:55 AM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintoni View Post
It looks lossless to me, though it would be easier to tell if the music was a bit 'denser'. Note also that the 15.7 kHz tone might not mean that it is a TV source, just that there was a TV on at some point during the analogue recording process. Some CRT TVs/monitors emit massive amounts of the flyback energy, such that it can be picked up during the (analogue) recording. Having said that, I would still think that it's likely to be sourced from TV. It might be worth checking to see if the recording is listed on db.etree.org and what (if any) sources are in circulation.
Thanks for the input. This has an entry over at db.etree and the lineage given is the same, no other sources circulating, so I'll go for this lineage with the annotation of the flyback noise.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?