The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2010-04-28, 07:33 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

Re: Question about using Trader's Little Helper to Spot Lossy

Additionally, I meant that any software tends to do better proving lossless than lossy. If it says it's lossless, usually it's right. But far too many factors can produce a "lossy" designation when the recording in question is not in fact lossy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2014-01-14, 04:01 PM
The Mighty Terrapin
1.43 GB/25.28 GB/17.66

ok i ran the first track thru TLH with a verbose accuracy of 0.40 where "0" is the most acc. and just listened to enough of the first track to tell you all the possibility that this little feat aragon ballroom 1975 source has/had a virgin lossy lineage is about 99.5%. take a look at the spectral & it hurt my ears right off the bat & for some1 that has had 4 instances of bilateral mirongotomy(tube implantation in eardrums) throughout his 5 decades, i can assure every1 this info is valid and albix should not be held liable for any coding errors that are to be....
Old 2014-01-15, 05:40 AM
}{eywood, copyright fighter
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

Location: too close to Niagara Falls to see what the big deal is

The problem with this whole process is that it can all be fooled. Taking a lossy source and using harmonic synthesis to restore the high end will certainly fool TLH (I've tried it), and will also make spectral look lossless. I tried this approach and sent the spectral to one of my MQR label mates who is skilled at reading spectral views, and he couldn't tell it was an mp3 to begin with.
To enforce copyright laws is to prevent people from making peaceful use of the information they possess. If one has acquired the information legitimately it is a violation of freedom of speech to prevent one from using it, reproducing it, trading it. Information is a universal, existing in other people's minds and other people's property, and over these the originator has no legitimate sovereignty. Copyright laws extort from the public a reward enormously in excess of the labor measure of an entertainers' services, making them, in essence, discriminatory against anyone paid a single time for a job. The only way there will ever be balance is when we are either all paid ad infinitum for work we did years ago, or when they are not. Until then I will fight for the freedom of information by challenging copyright law every chance I get. Join the Pirate Party and help make a difference.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?