The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-03-02, 07:32 PM
88.56 GB/49.60 GB/0.56

New Seagate hard drive-questions

Hi. I am fairly new here and am hooked on this great site! I am a newbie so bear with me. Here's my dilema. A computer tech put in a new 150 gb hard drive in our computer last year. This was prior to me learning about bit Torrents. I have eaten away our hard drive to 60 gb. I would like to keep downloading/uploading shows at a greater pace but know I will run out of space. I don't have anything from my computer backed up or saved at the moment. I have all of our pictures, quick books for business, music on this one hard drive. I just picked up a Seagate Free Agent Pro 750 gb. drive that was on sale at best Buy for $160. I was wondering, can I do all of my torrent downloading and uploading from this external drive? so I don't eat up any more space on my internal drive? Is it as easy as moving or copying my Azureus program to this external drive? I also have my Itunes on a seperate internal 40 gb drive(this came with the computer). I have 17 gb left on that and have lots more music I want to import to Itunes. I'm guessing I can transfer my Itunes to the new external drive? I know these may be very basic questions for some of you but thanks for any help you could offer me.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-02, 08:40 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Re: New Seagate hard drive-questions

You don't need to move your torrent client to the external drive. You can just point your client to that drive (or a folder on it) as the default location.

However, most external drives aren't intended to be powered-up 24/7 and can encounter heat issues. You might be better off continue to download/upload directly with your internal hard drive, and move files to the external drive when you don't need them immediately on your hard drive.

That gives the best of all worlds: (1) free space on the internal drive, (2) no reconfiguring, (3) only run the external when you need to and (4) still keep all of your files & shows.

And (5): backup the rest of your stuff on the external. Music files can be replaced, but you'll hate yourself if you ever lose all your pictures.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2008-03-03, 06:22 AM
88.56 GB/49.60 GB/0.56

thanks for your help! Yes, this makes sense. So external drives are better off for "storage" only and not to be used all of the time? Makes sense. So I will download/upload on my internal, burn shows to cd and then transfer the files to my external? Sounds good. I 'm thinking I'll need a larger internal hard drive at some point. Since I will be downloading from my internal, I will also be uploading/sharing to keep my ratio up, so that will be taking space from my internal hard drive. Is this how most people do it here? Meaning most people have large internal drives?
Old 2008-03-03, 07:12 AM
Give Peace a Chance
TTD VIP
2.40 TB/38.34 TB/16.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills1988 View Post
thanks for your help! Yes, this makes sense. So external drives are better off for "storage" only and not to be used all of the time? Makes sense. So I will download/upload on my internal, burn shows to cd and then transfer the files to my external? Sounds good. I 'm thinking I'll need a larger internal hard drive at some point. Since I will be downloading from my internal, I will also be uploading/sharing to keep my ratio up, so that will be taking space from my internal hard drive. Is this how most people do it here? Meaning most people have large internal drives?
5 internal drives here used in a raid solution

several external drives for storage only

Moon was on the money when he states externals are not for 24 hour use, you'll burn it out well before you fill it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
I could give a fuck less if someone says thank you...as long as they keep seeding once their download is complete...

Oh...and Fuck you Weeboz
Warum Tutes Weh Wenn ich Pinkle
Old 2008-03-04, 08:49 PM
88.56 GB/49.60 GB/0.56

thanks guys! Looks like I'll need my computer guy to get over here pronto and give me a new internal drive!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble